Author Topic: Who here objects to a 50% income tax rate on earnings above $1MIL  (Read 18077 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Who here objects to a 50% income tax rate on earnings above $1MIL
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »

I know I will get fragged by you on this, but a lot of the military spending is out of control because of the way they have it set up and the people they have in place spending it/making decisions.  I will give two examples from my past.  The first company I worked for out of college sold/leased heavy equipment.  NAVFAC called and wanted a dozer for a month and wanted a quote.  I sent them a quote, with delivery and all, and it was around $4,100.  They used it for two weeks, sent it back, and the bill was only $2,800.  The lady who did the purchasing, actually called me back, and told me to bill for the full PO amount, because the paperwork was too much to redo. A few years ago, on a project I was working on for the NAVFAC through my own business, they misordered material, to the tune of around $22,000.  They told me at the end of the job, they had no use for it, and to take it or they would throw it away.  On the same job, they drug their feet on making a decision, which caused the material they had ordered at the beginning of the job to expire, and they had to throw it away.  Just on that one job alone, they wasted $30,000, and that was just on materials in my scope of work.  There is no accountability with these people with government jobs.  I really believe that things like that should be privatized, and even with the inherent corruption that may go with it, would still be cheaper and more efficient.  Just my two cents.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 08:05:59 AM »
hahaha yea its the defense budget that is bankrupting the nation.

you get dumber with each post. Garebear posted a nice pie graph Tomy, have a look. You think spending more then the top 20 odd next nations in defense is wise? You realize how much infrastructure could be created with that, how much research and new technology made? Shit even space travel, medicine etc could be improved with all that dough.

once you realize team america world police was actually a documentary you will be better off.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
you get dumber with each post. Garebear posted a nice pie graph Tomy, have a look. You think spending more then the top 20 odd next nations in defense is wise? You realize how much infrastructure could be created with that, how much research and new technology made? Shit even space travel, medicine etc could be improved with all that dough.

once you realize team america world police was actually a documentary you will be better off.

We can't just cut the spending.  It has to be tapered off, and our foreign policy changed.  If we just stopped spending, and our fleets became antiquated, I imagine a lot of countries we've pissed off would spring into action.  Not an ideal situation, seeing as how we made it for ourselves, but it is what it is.  there is not PCT, it must be tapered. ;D (bb related)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »
created with that, how much research and new technology made?

You have no idea how much of our current technology came out of the military industrial complex, do you?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
Seriously? Half of anything over a million should be redistributed... you can still be filthy rich if that's your ambition...

I am. And my answer would be the same if the amount was a billion, or even a trillion. I am opposed regardless of the amount.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
hahaha yea its the defense budget that is bankrupting the nation.

Actually the defense budget, with its sacred cows, is a part of the problem. With the amount of pork and extraneous fat in there our representatives owe it to us and to the country to go over the DoD budget with a fine tooth comb and come back with leaner numbers. But that's the case with just about every other part of the budget anyways. And it's their duty to see that every single fucking cent taken from us and spent on our behalf is well spent, because we busted our asses working hard to earn all those cents.

To be clear, I am not one to advocate cutting military spending by any fixed percent - such proclamations are as dumb as they are naive - but the need to trim the budget is practically self-evident and considering spending cuts is the sensible thing to do. The logic is simple: If our debt is a national security issue (which has been a big conservative talking point in this election cycle) then working to reduce the national debt ipso facto strengthens us. In order to achieve that we need to get over this notion that we have that military spending is sancrosanct, never to be touched unless touching is defined to mean "here's more money." That notion is bullshit.

I'll give you a good example, in addition to what irongrip400 posted above: I just did a quick Google search and this is the first thing that came up: The Department of Defense supposedly pissed away nearly $750,000,000 in late fees on rented shipping containers by not returning them on time. Perhaps there's a good reason - moving containers out of warzones may be prohibitevely expensive, perhaps even impossible. But when you consider that an average shipping container can be bought for less than $10,000 the fact is that for a much smaller amount the Pentagon could have outright just BOUGHT 75,000 containers and still have money left over! And this isn't an isolated incident of wasteful spending; there's a ton of other examples, some similar, some not. But this one, single waste of the money you worked hard for should make you take a step back and wonder "WHAT. THE. FUCK!?!?"

Wasteful spending, whether it's in the "defense budget" or the "welfare budget" is wasteful spending, it is bankrupting the nation, and it must be eliminated whenever and wherever it's found.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »
Seriously? Half of anything over a million should be redistributed... you can still be filthy rich if that's your ambition...

You're a goddamn fool

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »
end the income and corporate tax

corp just make prices higher anyhow when u tax em u morons

tax consumption, when mitt buys yaght then tax him

www.fairtax.org

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
The "FairTax" isn't quite fair and I don't like it as a system. But I am not opposed to eliminating the personal and corporate income taxes.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
If you are going to use top tax rates, and they are high... That's fine... I have no issue with that... but you have to specify what level is "top".

You can't just say everyone over 250K is 50% or even 1 Million.

But there has to be some understanding that if you make 40 million a year and you are a sole entity, that a few extra percentage points isn't going to hurt you.

Along with that we should be honest that while I am good with a lot of social programs, we have to cut most departments down some... is that 20%? 10?

I don't know just off the cuff... but some spending has to be curbed... EVERYWHERE.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
I know I will get fragged by you on this, but a lot of the military spending is out of control because of the way they have it set up and the people they have in place spending it/making decisions.  I will give two examples from my past.  The first company I worked for out of college sold/leased heavy equipment.  NAVFAC called and wanted a dozer for a month and wanted a quote.  I sent them a quote, with delivery and all, and it was around $4,100.  They used it for two weeks, sent it back, and the bill was only $2,800.  The lady who did the purchasing, actually called me back, and told me to bill for the full PO amount, because the paperwork was too much to redo. A few years ago, on a project I was working on for the NAVFAC through my own business, they misordered material, to the tune of around $22,000.  They told me at the end of the job, they had no use for it, and to take it or they would throw it away.  On the same job, they drug their feet on making a decision, which caused the material they had ordered at the beginning of the job to expire, and they had to throw it away.  Just on that one job alone, they wasted $30,000, and that was just on materials in my scope of work.  There is no accountability with these people with government jobs.  I really believe that things like that should be privatized, and even with the inherent corruption that may go with it, would still be cheaper and more efficient.  Just my two cents.

Wow  :o

I've experienced situations like this on a local level. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
It is a sometimes scenario... For instance, I used to work for Government.

The bad was that if they had extra money in the bank... They had to spend it or they couldn't use it next year and they would have their budgets reduced since they didn't use it the previous year.

That's just insane... Instead of saying, look, you saved the money, we'll give you guys the same budget next year, by rolling this over into it and reducing what we give you next year, they say... you better spend it or you're fucked.

The good is the fact that government can not make a profit... In a highly SERVICE oriented environment with lots of people, you can't make a profit... So as a citizen, that's good.... Locally, I've seen private companies be contracted to do the same service that a previous agency was doing and the costs went up astronomically... Because companies are in the business to make a profit.

Period.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
It is a sometimes scenario... For instance, I used to work for Government.

The bad was that if they had extra money in the bank... They had to spend it or they couldn't use it next year and they would have their budgets reduced since they didn't use it the previous year.

That's just insane... Instead of saying, look, you saved the money, we'll give you guys the same budget next year, by rolling this over into it and reducing what we give you next year, they say... you better spend it or you're fucked.

The good is the fact that government can not make a profit... In a highly SERVICE oriented environment with lots of people, you can't make a profit... So as a citizen, that's good.... Locally, I've seen private companies be contracted to do the same service that a previous agency was doing and the costs went up astronomically... Because companies are in the business to make a profit.

Period.

Which is exactly why I think it should be privatized.  That, or you give a bonus for being responsible and having money left on the tail end of a project.  I do that for my guys.  I have per diem when they travel.  They get the job done earlier than I thought, they get the per diem for the extra days, hotel money split between them etc.  I don't penalize them for going over my estimation, I just let them know that the money they get for raises is predicated on how profitable the company is.  Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't, but they usually try to do better.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Which is exactly why I think it should be privatized.  That, or you give a bonus for being responsible and having money left on the tail end of a project.  I do that for my guys.  I have per diem when they travel.  They get the job done earlier than I thought, they get the per diem for the extra days, hotel money split between them etc.  I don't penalize them for going over my estimation, I just let them know that the money they get for raises is predicated on how profitable the company is.  Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't, but they usually try to do better.
Did you ever make it out to Oxford?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
A privatized, global Plutocracy would do such wonders.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Did you ever make it out to Oxford?

I did, beautiful historic district.  I actually took a few pictures of houses while there.  Not much to do, but decent folks.  It was funny, I went to a biscuit shop, and was talking to the lady that owned it, and mentioned Henderson.  She said it's a horrible place, and that there was too much crime.  I could not imagine that, it seems like too small of a place, but compare it to Oxford and I'm sure it is a little bigger.  Also have worked in Butner and Person Co.  Butner, from what I saw was a dump.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
LOL at tonymctunes.   Took a beating. ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
You're a goddamn fool

possibly... but doubtful

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
do you know what discretionary means?

post a link to all of the govts spending not just discretionary...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »
LOL at tonymctunes.   Took a beating. ;D

see the above post foreign moron...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Let me also state I never said that military spending wasnt out of control, only that it wasnt the reason we are broke....

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
that graph garebear posted is extremely misleading

in reality the  chart for the entire budget looks like

medicare and social security combined equal about 1.5 trillion.  defense is 700 billion.

those entitlements were created, everyone supports them, but no one realized how expensive they would be and no one wants to raise taxes enough to pay for them.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »

medicare and social security combined equal about 1.5 trillion.  defense is 700 billion.

those entitlements were created, everyone supports them, but no one realized how expensive they would be and no one wants to raise taxes enough to pay for them.

so if you don't want to support those 2 vital social systems why not enforce a mandatory age of death for anyone with less than $1MIL of net assets?

Sound stupid?

then STFU and pay your share

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »

8) :)