Author Topic: Greg Kovacs dies at 44  (Read 112693 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Greg Kovacs dies at 44
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
I agree

guys like levrone look really healthy slimmed down

But his major abuse from 1990-2003 permantly changed his heart. The left ventricle is thicker than the right. He still is at risk.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
i somehow think the damage is done already before age 40, even if they come off or down to hrt.

the rest is basicaly a formality and them being a ticking bomb.

he was lot smaller afterwards wasnt he.

now, what caused the hearth to grow?

frend of mine has enlarged kidneys, jesus, and the docs have no idea how to fix it, and it shows all over his body, weird water retention at times.

this is crazy, just today in the gym there was 1 guy with same exact face like kovacs,i get home and read this.

pip greg, you have been inspirational during my permabulker days long ago.

44is young, but its double zyzz age.

careful with the dosages,ppl, be realistic.
n

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
PIP

"1"

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
These guys are dropping like flies..

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
He died for us bitches PIP Greg. He is the largest person I have ever seen in my life

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »

But his major abuse from 1990-2003 permantly changed his heart. The left ventricle is thicker than the right. He still is at risk.

Probably still at risk (especially if it runs in his family), but because he's slimmed down the heart doesn't have to work as hard to circulate blood than if he was 250+. Meaning he's still got a chance to live out his life into his 70's. Same can't be said about the guys that want to stay big until the very end.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
Do the current crop of PIP folks correspond to a particular drug regimen becoming popular? Something like these guys were in on the beginning of the GH era? Slin Era?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
approximately how much does bodybuilding memorabilia increase in value after death?
(for example, if you had one of Greg's shit stained towels?)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Greg Kovacs?
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Did he died?

(keep the meme alive!)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

well of course steroids increase the risk but so does drinking alcohol and taking pills, but I think the biggest factor is his weight. he has been 360lb forever and as high as 415lb this is for nearly 20 years.

Here is a true story about Kovacks, I was helping with a show 10 years ago and Kovacks was there and the promotor sent someone out to get food and asked Kovacks what he wants to eat, he said 6 big macs.  The man could eat. I laugh at you guys who say you can not eat X amount of calories per day, this guy could, I have seen him.

Also drinks a lot of water. friendly as they come, I also watched him train at golds Mississauga back and the day and he could move some fucken insane poundages, side laterals with the 100s with perfect form.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
Do the current crop of PIP folks correspond to a particular drug regimen becoming popular? Something like these guys were in on the beginning of the GH era? Slin Era?
thats the scary thing, most likely it was "just" big steroids and some gh.

we never get to hear deathbed confessions, the guys simply randomly die out of nowhere.

n

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
i've got 17 grams of trenbolona and i'm not afraid to use it in honor of this gentleman

manuelsonn

• Getbig IV
  • Team BAN CREATINE!
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
:( rip greg
the question now is : who s next?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Stop mentioning that coke snorting runt zzyz in the same thread as a real bodybuilder. PIP Kovacs.
a

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »
I'll bet a box of smores Nitro-Tech bars that Aaron "Mr. Intensity" Maddron delivers the eulogy.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
 :( RIP

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
:( rip greg
the question now is : who s next?

Odds would be on Ruhl.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
sad news but not surprised, is Duvall really dead too?

damn.

Markus better take note.

how many is that this year?

Nasser? Matt Duvall? when did Art pass away? now Greg?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
Odds would be on Ruhl.

Yeah, but Marcus has been #1 with a bullet for 10 years now. I think that he is immortal.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »
There are many reasons for heart failure. Although the use of steroids might have been detrimental, they might have not been directly correlated to his death.

Lets look at the obvious facts. The man was overweight and carrying a large amount of mass, which makes it difficult for the heart.

Due to his over-eating and excess weight, he could have had:

.....a history of hypertension (elevated blood pressure) that lead to the heart having to work much harder to pump blood from the left ventricle out into his systemic circulation. This is one of the major causes for left-ventricular hypertrophy, whereby the left ventricle becomes thickened due to the added exertion needed to pump blood our of the heart. Over time, this causes the left ventricle to become weak and/or stiff which can lead to heart failure.

.....a history of elevated cholesterol that lead to atherosclerosis (clogging and hardening by way of fatty deposits) of the coronary arteries. Over time, with enough fatty buildup, you can end up with plaque that lines the arteries of the heart. If pieces of plaque break off, they can travel in the form of small clots, which can then interrupt the blow flow through the coronary arteries leading to a heart attack (myocardial infarct). The combination of these two things (high cholesterol & a history of heart attacks) can lead to a decline of the ventricles (left and right, but mostly left) pumping capacity which can result in heart failure.

These major issues aside, the guy could have had calcification or even prolapse of his heart valves, which can also over time lead to heart failure.

Drug use (illicit drugs), not necessarily steroid use, could also lead to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is not to say that he was using any illicit drugs, but that is another potential.

Also, to corroborate what Royalty was saying, it is true (based on a limited amount of studies) that anabolic steroid use has been linked to weakened left ventricular function.

Studies to back this up, can be found here:

Serious cardiovascular side effects of large doses of anabolic steroids in weight lifters - http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/10/1576.abstract

Long-Term Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use Is Associated With Left Ventricular Dysfunction - http://circheartfailure.ahajournals.org/content/3/4/472

Ultimately, what I think is important to realize is that no mere title, trophy, sponsorship, magazine cover or even various sets of spectating eyes are worth endangering your health in the long run. You only live once and what's important is to live life to your full potential.

May his family find peace in this time of turmoil..

"1"

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
More Pro Cards given away, more BB would die.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
the heart and other organs don't differentiate between fat and muscle 370 plus pounds is a strain no matter what the ratio of the two.
F

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »
Odds would be on Ruhl.

I agree. The fact that he is still alive, amazes me. Good guy though.

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
That Cell-Tech

R.I.P

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
These guys are dropping like flies..

IMO, it's a cycle (no pun intended). If it is allegedly the drugs then you're going to start seeing more bodybuilders around his age dropping. They all started the HEAVY use around the same time with the insulin/gh and now I'm afraid it's catching up with them. Anyway, RIP, 44 is too young.