Author Topic: Asian-Americans condemn 'Why I Hate Blacks' column  (Read 1141 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Asian-Americans condemn 'Why I Hate Blacks' column
« on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
Asian-Americans condemn 'Why I Hate Blacks' column
POSTED: 9:49 p.m. EST, February 27, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Asian-American leaders are calling on a weekly newspaper to apologize and cut ties with a writer who penned a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the piece, which appeared in the February 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks, writing, among other things, "I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

An official at the nationally circulated paper apologized and called the column's publication a mistake.

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the piece as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

The petition calls on AsianWeek to cut ties with Eng, issue an apology, print an editorial refuting the column, and fire or demote the editors who published it.

"Something like this should never have been printed," said Vincent Eng, deputy director of the Asian American Justice Center in Washington, who is not related to the columnist. "Deliberate action needs to be taken to make sure this type of hate speech doesn't continue."

AsianWeek, with a circulation of 48,505, issued a statement apologizing for "any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community."

The newspaper plans to hold a news conference with NAACP leaders in San Francisco on Wednesday to discuss how the Asian and black communities "can be different and yet get along and work together," said Ted Fang, the paper's editor at large.

"The newspaper is sorry that this got published, and I am personally sorry that this got published," Fang told The Associated Press. "The views in that opinion piece do not in any way reflect the views of AsianWeek."

The paper plans to review its policies to "understand how this happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," Fang said, calling the decision to publish Eng's piece a "mistake."

Fang's family publishes AsianWeek, along with a local newspaper called the Independent, and owned the San Francisco Examiner between 2000 and 2004. AsianWeek calls itself "The Voice of Asian America."

The column was among several written by Kenneth Eng, who has described himself as an "Asian Supremacist." Previous columns have been titled "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians."

A telephone listing for Eng could not be located.

Sophie Maxwell, one of the city's top black officials and a member of the city's board of supervisors, said she doesn't believe Eng's column will hurt relations between blacks and Asians in San Francisco. She has co-sponsored a city resolution condemning the article and AsianWeek's decision to publish it.

"This man clearly is very ignorant of African-American history and his own history, and he's very angry," said Maxwell, who represents a district with large black and Asian populations.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/27/racist.column.ap/index.html

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Asian-Americans condemn 'Why I Hate Blacks' column
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:19:48 PM »

I need to read the piece.

Interestingly enough, it may do Black America a lot of good if people are angered by this man's words and moved to action. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:37 AM »
Mexican-American woman, 70, 'is battered on LA bus by racist black woman, 23, who thought she was Asian-American'
The DailyMail ^ | 04/15/2021 | Gina Matinez

An elderly Mexican-American woman was badly beaten by a racist bus passenger who mistook her for an Asian-American, the victim's son said.

The 70-year-old victim, named only as Becky by her son Pete, suffered a concussion, a broken nose, swollen eyes and had her hair pulled out last Friday.

She was attacked while on her way to go grocery shopping in Los Angeles' Eagle Rock neighborhood.

Los Angeles police arrested 23-year-old Yasmine Beasley shortly afterwards on suspicion of the attack, KTLA 5 reported.

Beasley allegedly attacked the 70-year-old as she was trying to get off the bus after calling her an anti-Chinese slur, despite Becky being Mexican-American.

The 23-year-old allegedly dragged Becky from the back to the front of the bus as fellow passengers watched and did not intervene.

'Nobody would help. Not even the bus driver,' Pete told The Eastsider.

He identified Becky's attacker as black, and says the assault only ended when Becky called 911. He says his family are regularly mistaken for being Asian-American.

The alleged mistaken-identity attack against Becky is part of a rising trend of hate crimes against Asian-American people.

Beasley was charged with battery as police continue investigating the incident.

Becky was held in the hospital for 24 hours before being released but her son says she still has difficulty walking after the attack worsened her pre-existing condition of lupus arthritis and other disabilities, the Eastsider reported.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:09:45 AM »
Mexican-American woman, 70, 'is battered on LA bus by racist black woman, 23, who thought she was Asian-American'
The DailyMail ^ | 04/15/2021 | Gina Matinez

An elderly Mexican-American woman was badly beaten by a racist bus passenger who mistook her for an Asian-American, the victim's son said.

The 70-year-old victim, named only as Becky by her son Pete, suffered a concussion, a broken nose, swollen eyes and had her hair pulled out last Friday.

She was attacked while on her way to go grocery shopping in Los Angeles' Eagle Rock neighborhood.

Los Angeles police arrested 23-year-old Yasmine Beasley shortly afterwards on suspicion of the attack, KTLA 5 reported.

Beasley allegedly attacked the 70-year-old as she was trying to get off the bus after calling her an anti-Chinese slur, despite Becky being Mexican-American.

The 23-year-old allegedly dragged Becky from the back to the front of the bus as fellow passengers watched and did not intervene.

'Nobody would help. Not even the bus driver,' Pete told The Eastsider.

He identified Becky's attacker as black, and says the assault only ended when Becky called 911. He says his family are regularly mistaken for being Asian-American.

The alleged mistaken-identity attack against Becky is part of a rising trend of hate crimes against Asian-American people.

Beasley was charged with battery as police continue investigating the incident.

Becky was held in the hospital for 24 hours before being released but her son says she still has difficulty walking after the attack worsened her pre-existing condition of lupus arthritis and other disabilities, the Eastsider reported.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:50:57 AM »
Lots of cognitive dissonance here in New York City as almost all of the anti-Asian hate crimes have been committed by blacks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 05:55:11 AM »
Lots of cognitive dissonance here in New York City as almost all of the anti-Asian hate crimes have been committed by blacks.

Most vote for democrats.   So they are enabling the hate against themselves. 

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:27 AM »
Most vote for democrats.   So they are enabling the hate against themselves.

six senators voted against a bill aimed at improving ways to tackle hate crimes against asian americans. Guess the party who voted against

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »
six senators voted against a bill aimed at improving ways to tackle hate crimes against asian americans. Guess the party who voted against

::) 

As if a law will stop anything.  Grow the FNG hell up.   What are you 5 yo?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »

;D

You can't be serious with this.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »
;D

You can't be serious with this.

He is. That’s what’s so tragic.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:44 AM »
Man charged with attacking undercover Asian NYPD cop released without bail
nypost.com ^ | April 18, 2021 | Kevin Sheehan and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
Posted on 4/19/2021, 8:52:26

The man charged with trying to shove an Asian undercover cop onto Queens subway tracks was cut loose without bail Sunday — as the judge claimed, “My hands are tied.”

Suspect Ricardo Hernandez, 32 — who faces three hate-crime charges in the attack on the unnamed cop on a Long Island City train platform around 5:30 p.m. Saturday — has at least 12 prior arrests under his belt.

At Hernandez’s arraignment over the attempted push onto the tracks, Queens Supreme Court Justice Louis Nock said the state’s bail-reform measures barred him from holding Hernandez in jail.“My hands are tied because under the new bail rules, I have absolutely no authority or power to set bail on this defendant for this alleged offense,” the judge said.

Under the new measures passed last year, attacks that cause no injury are exempt from bail in New York.

The judge also agreed with Hernandez’s lawyer to dismiss a warrant against the suspect involving a previous open-container summons. The suspect had had a can of Coors Light beer.

A police source said Hernandez was previously arrested for possession of a controlled substance in 2019 and turnstile jumping in 2016 and 2017 and has nine other sealed arrests on his record.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »
^
"The cops must love this!"