Author Topic: Attention AJ or any other Eotech fans  (Read 1925 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Attention AJ or any other Eotech fans
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Opinion wanted -
Eotech 553.A65 or EXPS3-0 for when the bodybuilder zombie apocalype starts and the hebrews start looting?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: Attention AJ or any other Eotech fans
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:11:30 PM »
I only run the 553. I didn't even know what the EX line was until I googled it, LOL.

All of the EOTechs are money, you'll be happy with either. Be warned that you'll never go back, Marine.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
I only run the 553. I didn't even know what the EX line was until I googled it, LOL.

All of the EOTechs are money, you'll be happy with either. Be warned that you'll never go back, Marine.
i guess the EXPS3-0 replaced the 553 in the SF units, so i was curious what the changes/advantages were.

Have you had any issues with the ARMs mounts? Or the battery compartments getting effed up?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
Aimpoint or death , on Larue mounts  ;D

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Aimpoint or death , on Larue mounts  ;D
i actually work with a guy that used to work for LaRue, was a big part of helping for a while... he said their stuff is  nice but its extremely overpriced.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
i actually work with a guy that used to work for LaRue, was a big part of helping for a while... he said their stuff is  nice but its extremely overpriced.

Life time warranty on their mounts. I was going to get an Aimpoint mirco I wish I did buy you can't go wrong with an EoTech

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
Opinion wanted -
Eotech 553.A65 or EXPS3-0 for when the bodybuilder zombie apocalype starts and the hebrews start looting?

Just get one of these badboys and you are good to go.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
Life time warranty on their mounts. I was going to get an Aimpoint mirco I wish I did buy you can't go wrong with an EoTech
Im actually going to get a TA31-RCO ACOG like i used in the Corps, but i also want a nice CQB optic 1st..... the damn Aimpoint M4 is like 850 bucks, and i can get a new in box EOtech 553 for 475.

For being a secondary optic , i cant really justify spending 850 right now, but ive heard guys love the Comp M4. (ACOG will be primary, but im waiting a couple checks before i pony up the 1400 that optic costs).

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
i guess the EXPS3-0 replaced the 553 in the SF units, so i was curious what the changes/advantages were.

Have you had any issues with the ARMs mounts? Or the battery compartments getting effed up?

The battery compartment is G2G. The mount, LOL, tighten that shit down. At my last small arms training at SigArms, I was runnin' and gunnin' and the fucking thing came off! It was great training as I immediately switched to my BUIS (the fucking $$$ Troy) and kept in the game.

Lord, we dumped 1200 rounds that day.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
I still use the 552 A65 and I love it.  The EXPS3-0 is more compact than the 552 or 553 so it's good if you are planning to add any magnification.

I'd like to get an ACOG but it's too beaucou.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
The battery compartment is G2G. The mount, LOL, tighten that shit down. At my last small arms training at SigArms, I was runnin' and gunnin' and the fucking thing came off! It was great training as I immediately switched to my BUIS (the fucking $$$ Troy) and kept in the game.

Lord, we dumped 1200 rounds that day.
gotcha. Perusing the internet seems theres tons of armchair QBs that may or may not have experience; and they all pick on brand of optic and find random irrelevent nitpicks to bitch about the other brand.

The common bitch for the 553 was the ARMs mount levers breaking, and the contacts in the battery compartment possibly failing/falling out.

Does the 553 co-witness well? How inteusive is the front sight post in the glass? My rifle has the A2 style front sight post thats not removable.

My rifle is going to wind up looking similar to a block II SOPMOD kit. I got a killer deal on a brand new, complete USGI issue Knights RAS quad rail kit with handguards and vertical grip, Vltor IMOD stock (clone of the Crane NSWF cheekweld stock), and an EOtech 553 or Trijicon ACOG depending on what I'm doing.

Im pretty spartan when it comes to gear, although i may add a torch at some point. Id really like to try the PEQ16 ATPIAL because of the pressure switch activated visible laser, but im not sure how useful it would be.... although i know the SEALs use the shit out of it in CQB.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
Co-witness is fine. I am running standard gas block/sights on 3 of mine.

Shit, with all that gear, you need at least another gun. Doesn't the wife need one? My wife had me build her one in tigerstripe pink.

Also, can you get suppressors in your state? Because a can always looks sweet on one of those rigs.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Co-witness is fine. I am running standard gas block/sights on 3 of mine.

Shit, with all that gear, you need at least another gun. Doesn't the wife need one? My wife had me build her one in tigerstripe pink.

Also, can you get suppressors in your state? Because a can always looks sweet on one of those rigs.
Haha, yeah, shes next. I bought a bushmasted M4A3 stripper model for 650, its got NOTHING.

I was going to run the standard stock, but i got a chance to play with the Crane Cheekweld stock and it feels extremely comfortable. Had to buy a quad rail setup since it has A2 handguads... optic, vertical grip. Itll be a stripped down SOPMOD II for about 1300.

Now i could be super tacticool and get an IR laser, bipod, 45* mount with RMR, quick mount 12x scope, etc etc.

Truth be told whichever optic I wind up liking more ill keep and my wife will get the other one. :D

Do you bother with a light at all? Are you ever doing scenarios where you need it? Were talking about putting together a dark killhouse and itd probably be necessary.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
Haha, yeah, shes next. I bought a bushmasted M4A3 stripper model for 650, its got NOTHING.

I was going to run the standard stock, but i got a chance to play with the Crane Cheekweld stock and it feels extremely comfortable. Had to buy a quad rail setup since it has A2 handguads... optic, vertical grip. Itll be a stripped down SOPMOD II for about 1300.

Now i could be super tacticool and get an IR laser, bipod, 45* mount with RMR, quick mount 12x scope, etc etc.

Truth be told whichever optic I wind up liking more ill keep and my wife will get the other one. :D

Do you bother with a light at all? Are you ever doing scenarios where you need it? Were talking about putting together a dark killhouse and itd probably be necessary.

I have a mounted light on my 870, but I just learned to use a hand held light with the rifle. Same thing with a pistol.

Run the hell out of that kill house during the day before you go in dark. Some bad things can happen in there in the dark.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:58 PM »
I have a mounted light on my 870, but I just learned to use a hand held light with the rifle. Same thing with a pistol.

Run the hell out of that kill house during the day before you go in dark. Some bad things can happen in there in the dark.
sling and sling mount recommendation?

i want one that i can switch from a single point to a dual point, as i still sometimes use marksmanship positions with the arm wrapped in the sling for support (the way the Corps teaches marksmanship)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 04:34:26 AM »
sling and sling mount recommendation?

i want one that i can switch from a single point to a dual point, as i still sometimes use marksmanship positions with the arm wrapped in the sling for support (the way the Corps teaches marksmanship)

On the ARs, I only use single points, with the GGG mount. The last couple of slings I got from some guy in NYState that did amazing work. Shit, I can't find his name.

It's not that I don't like 2-point slings, it's just not what I've trained with at this point. I will say that single-points are a major PITA if you are transitioning while moving. The rifle basically falls to slam you in the balls at the exact moment that you are reaching for your sidearm.

Philosophically, I much prefer the transition concept of a 2-point, where it snugs against your body or side.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »
I had success with an ACOG/RCO and a detachable (Onto my plate carrier/rig) single point. Terrain obviously played a factor.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »
you could be better with an mp5 or semi auto shotgun in a close quarters urban environment, one of those mounts could just mess up your vision.

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
Eotechs suck.   Aim point ml4 or t2 or t1.  Next up is acog.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
you could be better with an mp5 or semi auto shotgun in a close quarters urban environment, one of those mounts could just mess up your vision.

A full auto mp5 in the states is about $25k and you never want to have explain to local LEO why you ventilated some guy with a class 3 weapon.

9mm isn't the CQB round of choice.

You live in the UK, right? Have you even seen a real gun?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »
Eotechs suck.   Aim point ml4 or t2 or t1.  Next up is acog.

Please explain. What's your experience with eotech? Which branch did you serve in? LEO?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
On the ARs, I only use single points, with the GGG mount. The last couple of slings I got from some guy in NYState that did amazing work. Shit, I can't find his name.

It's not that I don't like 2-point slings, it's just not what I've trained with at this point. I will say that single-points are a major PITA if you are transitioning while moving. The rifle basically falls to slam you in the balls at the exact moment that you are reaching for your sidearm.

Philosophically, I much prefer the transition concept of a 2-point, where it snugs against your body or side.
well, Magpul has one thats a single point but disconnects at the Y and transitions into a dual point when hooked into a forward mount, which sounds like the ticket to me.

If it was one or the other, single point all day. I wasnt sure if anyone else made a sling that you can use either way.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »
I had success with an ACOG/RCO and a detachable (Onto my plate carrier/rig) single point. Terrain obviously played a factor.
Yeah, I really liked the ACOG when i was at Pendleton.

The reticle gives you so much information, and makes engaging targets at almost any range a breeze. The RCO will be my next investment.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
Not really.

Theres a reason all the best SF units in the world switched away from MP5s to short barralled assault rifles for CQB.

The shotgun is not practical at all. Far too long and unweildy, not enough capacity, far too innaccurate, too slow to reload, etc, etc.

By far the best weapon for close quarters combat at the moment is a compact carbine.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »

Saw a youtube of a guy using a spin on filter.  It didn't look pro but he seemed pleased with the results.