Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551690 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
??? ??? ??? ??? ?????
Let's face it, the statement 'it depends on how much you like Ice T' is just begging to be attacked.
G

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »
Let's face it, the statement 'it depends on how much you like Ice T' is just begging to be attacked.
I don't get it. If you want to "attack" that statement, feel free. No one is holding you back, and I certainly could care less.
It stands to reason that your purpose for selecting a given reading material would be based on the personal appeal of the subject matter.
!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 08:53:26 AM »
Just started this one.  Recommend video.

http://oyc.yale.edu/economics/game-theory/contents/downloads

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
you need to be colonized. 
This the best you can do PEA BRAIN?  ::)
Nice try, but all you are doing is making yourself look like the racist loser you are...following me all around getbig and attempting to derail this thread because I consistently render you butthurt and humiliated.

You need to read a book so that you could actually meaningfully contribute to a thread such as this.
!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »
Anyone read 'Moneyball' ? About fifty pages in and very interested.

Of course, I'm a baseball nut, so I'm sure that helps.
G

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »

How do you explain being so stupid after all that reading?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
How do you explain being so stupid after all that reading?
As though you are a qualified arbiter of intelligence. lol Give me a break.

Obviously someone is still so butt hurt over past humiliations that they choose to follow me around and attempt to derail this thread.

Are you still trying to pawn yourself off as some type of "economics expert" on the politics board, Ziggy?  haha...Oh, brother. ::)
Either contribute something useful to this thread, or fuck off.
!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
Lol Benny, you're such a  fucking loser.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »

Do you like 'The Autobiography of Malcom X'?

One of the top 5 books I've ever read.
G

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
Now I'm reading Technological Slavery. A book on the Unabomber.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Do you like 'The Autobiography of Malcom X'?

One of the top 5 books I've ever read.
Of course...in many ways that book changed my life. Such is the case with most Black men who read it, particularly if read at a young age. I recall Bryant Gumbel saying it was the book that most profoundly affected him as a teen.

I read Manning Marable's bio "Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention" a few months back. It was a comprehensive work by a great scholar. However, like many I took issue with some of the assumptions, or "revelations," made based on scant or circumstantial evidence.
!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
Of course...in many ways that book changed my life. Such is the case with most Black men who read it, particularly if read at a young age. I recall Bryant Gumbel saying it was the book that most profoundly affected him as a teen.

I read Manning Marable's bio "Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention" a few months back. It was a comprehensive work by a great scholar. However, like many I took issue with some of the assumptions, or "revelations," made based on scant or circumstantial evidence.
Great book. Anyone can appreciate someone who educates and betters himself, even though Malcom X was obviously born with a lot of natural intelligence.

The one thing that annoyed me about him was how critically he thought and studied and yet accepted the most ludicrous religious ideas as fact. I remember him talking about how he heard from Elijah Mohammed that a man with a giant head from an island started different races, or some such nonsense. Why accept this? Why accept the ridiculous tenants of any religion so readily when you can think so critically in other areas?

The rest was gold, though. I've read it twice, and probably will read it again sometime in the future.
G

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
Great book. Anyone can appreciate someone who educates and betters himself, even though Malcom X was obviously born with a lot of natural intelligence.

The one thing that annoyed me about him was how critically he thought and studied and yet accepted the most ludicrous religious ideas as fact. I remember him talking about how he heard from Elijah Mohammed that a man with a giant head from an island started different races, or some such nonsense. Why accept this? Why accept the ridiculous tenants of any religion so readily when you can think so critically in other areas?

The rest was gold, though. I've read it twice, and probably will read it again sometime in the future.
I've read the autobiography all the way through at least three times, and will likely read it again more times in the future.

If you lived as a Black man in the time of Malcolm and those whom he later recruited to join the NOI, you may be better able to understand the reasons for their acceptance of the plausibility of such a belief system. Especially if you were incarcerated at the time of hearing Minister Mohammed's message.

Perhaps you are an atheist, I don't know. That's all fine and dandy, but the majority of Black people are a religious, God-fearing people. You might be willing to take on the belief system of ANY ideology that would help free you from the physical AND psychological hell that was America at that time. ;)

Minister Mohammed, despite his many faults, was a great man who lifted people who were literally at the very bottom of society, cleaned them up, educated them as to a knowledge of self, and gave them a dignity and racial pride that allowed them to stand flat-footed and unashamed before any man or woman, regardless or race, nationality or income. I'm talking convicts, drug addicts...even murderers. I suspect Malcolm always had his doubts about the whole "origins of the races" theory, but that was far less important than the work he was doing in Black communities, uplifting the race through doing-for-self. At some point Malcolm was destined to outgrow The Nation, with or without the divisive split that contributed to his death.
!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
I've read the autobiography all the way through at least three times, and will likely read it again more times in the future.

If you lived as a Black man in the time of Malcolm and those whom he later recruited to join the NOI, you may be better able to understand the reasons for their acceptance of the plausibility of such a belief system. Especially if you were incarcerated at the time of hearing Minister Mohammed's message.

Perhaps you are an atheist, I don't know. That's all fine and dandy, but the majority of Black people are a religious, God-fearing people. You might be willing to take on the belief system of ANY ideology that would help free you from the physical AND psychological hell that was America at that time. ;)

Minister Mohammed, despite his many faults, was a great man who lifted people who were literally at the very bottom of society, cleaned them up, educated them as to a knowledge of self, and gave them a dignity and racial pride that allowed them to stand flat-footed and unashamed before any man or woman, regardless or race, nationality or income. I'm talking convicts, drug addicts...even murderers. I suspect Malcolm always had his doubts about the whole "origins of the races" theory, but that was far less important than the work he was doing in Black communities, uplifting the race through doing-for-self. At some point Malcolm was destined to outgrow The Nation, with or without the divisive split that contributed to his death.
He was a bigot. Why would you give a racist a break?

Also, he absolutely perverted the intention of Islam for his own purposes and then knocked up a bunch of broads. It was a power grab and anybody that he helped he was simply doing for his own ego. I'm surprised you can't see that. I'm very surprised to see you call him a great man.

Damn, talk about a letdown.
G

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
He was a bigot. Why would you give a racist a break?

Also, he absolutely perverted the intention of Islam for his own purposes and then knocked up a bunch of broads. It was a power grab and anybody that he helped he was simply doing for his own ego. I'm surprised you can't see that. I'm very surprised to see you call him a great man.

Damn, talk about a letdown.
My eyes see just what yours see, its just that we have different life histories, and therefore different perspectives. ;) I seriously doubt you come out of a family and pantheon of Black Nationalists and Intercommunalists. Are you African-American?

I unequivocally stand by my statement that Elijah was a great man. I don't perceive him as a racist. Elijah Mohammed did not "pervert the intention of Islam," and the NOI was NOT set up simply to feed the Honorable Elijah Mohammed's ego.

Do you spend time interacting within the Black community, at Black barbershops, businesses and churches?  If you had, my comments would not really surprise you. To many of us, his personal peccadilloes does not negate his accomplishments. "Message To The Black Man" is a powerful work. Without Minister Mohammed's teachings you likely would have never heard of the man now known as Malcolm X, nor the beloved Minister Louis Farrakhan.

If you want to get at the roots of Malcolm's thinking, upbringing, and what made the NOI so appealing, you need to read about the Honorable Marcus Garvey.

What is the cause of your "letdown?" Me? lol You don't KNOW me, my friend. You don't know what struggles I've been involved in, the teachings my parents instilled in me, etc.

It would behoove you to be more careful of whom you choose to place onto a pedestal, or you will be "let down" quite often in life.  ;) I have my views...you have yours. We can disagree without choosing to be disagreeable.  :)
!

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:18 AM »
Inter-dimensional physics.

PT
Growth/noob loves me

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »
Got sidetracked by Plato's Republic but now getting back to Joyce's Ulysses, unfortunately both on audio.  As far as I can tell, the plight and interests of the negro are completely ignored by both authors.  >:(

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:42 AM »

He & MLK both still got wasted by the MAN.
For all their bravery in speaking out, MLK was fucking a shiksa, when he was shot, had been for some time. So much for the Black cause  ::)

PT
Growth/noob loves me

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 06:06:22 AM »
For school

For work

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55:37 AM »
Now I'm reading Technological Slavery. A book on the Unabomber.

Reading some today and he even mentions Arnold and his physique. Just shows you how big an icon Arnold is.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
you need to be colonized. 
sounds kinda....... gay... :-\