Author Topic: DMSO  (Read 873 times)

SuperStu

• Getbig II
DMSO
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
what have you guys heard of it...I have a big article on it i will post later.

trab

• Getbig V
Re: DMSO
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
Its a solvent. They also sell it in Vet supply places for some reason. Some people believe it's good rubbed on sore joints. Not sure if thats the Vet use, but I recall seeing pic of a horse on it. Maybee it'll give you horse dick?

Seriously, I believe it can penetrate the skin and carry some things (If you get my drift) along w/ it.
Prolly wanna make sure If that is the case that its not bringing some nasties along for the ride.
We need a Dr or Chemist or Vet (Farmer?) on this one.
Think its also a machine lube.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: DMSO
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »
Its a solvent. They also sell it in Vet supply places for some reason. Some people believe it's good rubbed on sore joints. Not sure if thats the Vet use, but I recall seeing pic of a horse on it. Maybee it'll give you horse dick?

Seriously, I believe it can penetrate the skin and carry some things (If you get my drift) along w/ it.
Prolly wanna make sure If that is the case that its not bringing some nasties along for the ride.
We need a Dr or Chemist or Vet (Farmer?) on this one.
Think its also a machine lube.

DMSO is a polar industrial solvent.  It will readily penetrate the skin without damaging the skin (like many solvents do) making it a possible carrier for other drugs. Drugs such as insulin, heparin, phenylbutazone, and sulfonamides may all be absorbed systemically when mixed with DMSO and applied to the skin. 

Its used primarily in veterinary medicine because of its antiinflammatory properties, but the actual spectrum of activity of DMSO is very wide.  DMSO traps free radical hydroxide and its metabolite, dimethyl sulfide (DMS) traps free radical oxygen. It appears that these actions provide some of the anti-inflammatory, cryopreservative, antiischemic, and radioprotective qualities of DMSO.

DMSO has weak antibacterial activity when used clinically and possible clinical efficacy when used topically as an antifungal. The exact mechanism for these antimicrobial effects is unkown.

DMSO appears to be more effective an anti-inflammatory agent when used for acute inflammation versus chronic inflammatory conditions. The analgesic effects of DMSO have been compared to that produced by narcotic analgesics and is efficacious for both acute and chronic musculoskeletal pain.  DMSO is used frequently in horses with acute injuries, especially spinal/vertebral injuries. 

DMSO decreases platelet aggregation, but reports are variable and still need further investigation. DMSO has diuretic activity independent of the method of administration. It provokes histamine release from mast cells, which probably contributes to the local vasodilatory effects seen after topical administration.  It can significantly dilate surface blood vessels in some individuals. 

DMSO is also reported in inhibiting the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, which not only is responsible for the metabolism of alcohol, but also the metabolism of ethylene glycol into toxic metabolites.

The only FDA-approved veterinary indication for DMSO is: "...as a topical application to reduce acute swelling due to trauma"  Everything else is extralabel. 

Louie Simmons of Westside barbell has been singing the praises of DMSO as a "recovery" agent for a while.  It definately works, I've used is several times for my knees.  The down side is that it leaves this disgustingly horrible mustard/ass taste in your mouth for hours after applying it topically.  It also has a very, very distinct smell.  My first encounter with this was when I was a veterinary student.  I accidentally spilled some IV fluids for a horse patient containing DMSO on myself.  I just about puked because I coldn't get the taste out of my mouth.  Its nasty, nasty.