Author Topic: Canada Sucks  (Read 6036 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Canada Sucks
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
That is all.

US Army vet faces 3 years in Canadian prison after mistakenly bringing gun to border, says lawyer

Published February 07, 2014
FoxNews.com

Gun rights advocates are urging the Canadian government to drop charges against a retired U.S. soldier who says he mistakenly brought a gun into the country due to a faulty GPS directions during a weekend getaway.

Louis DiNatale, the former Army soldier, says he forgot the gun was inside his wife's car, so when he was asked by a Canadian border agent when the last time he had a weapon on him, he responded, "Earlier that week," The Los Angeles Times reported. The border agent searched his wife's car and located a .380 handgun.

'It was an honest mistake'
- Louis Di Natalie

"It was an honest mistake," DiNatale, told Postmedia News Wednesday from Louisville, Ky., where he works as a paralegal. "There's not even a traffic ticket in my background. Why would I come to Canada to bring a small weapon to smuggle in?"

He was handcuffed, jailed for four days and posted bail. His court date is set for June.

DiNatale says he and his wife were on a road trip in September to Vermont when they took the wrong turn in New York.

Bruce Engel, his Canadian lawyer, says DiNatale, 46, is being used by Canada to make a statement not to mess with the borders, the report said. Nearly 1,400 firearms were reportedly seized at Canadian entry points over the past three years.

"They could have done their homework and looked at his background and seen he's a professional," Engel told the paper. "They could have accepted the word of his wife and released him on his own recognizance."

Some gun enthusiasts have called on the country to either reduce or drop charges.

"Why did they not just turn him around at the border? Or take the gun and allow him to turn around and go back," wrote one person reportedly wrote on the website guns.com.

In 2012, a Marine combat veteran who spent four months in a Mexican prison was released after he was arrested at the border after attempting to declare an antique shotgun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/07/retired-us-soldier-faces-3-years-behind-bars-for-bringing-gun-into-canada/

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Canada Sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
Why don't you tell us something that we don't already know?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Why don't you tell us something that we don't already know?

Sorry.   :-[

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
Sorry.   :-[

Why are you apologizing?  I was talking about the thread title, not the article.    :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
Why are you apologizing?  I was talking about the thread title, not the article.    :)

I know.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »
Canada's is a pretty cool place.  I have always liked going there and have been quite a bit over last decade.  

I will go there again in November.

They are a little overboard on some laws.

If you have pepper spray in a government building its considered a felony.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
This guy should have known....but I like Canada.
L

Wez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
Their bacon sucks. So does Celine Dion.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
wow, the ignorance if it wasn't a joke

LMAO

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:30:27 PM »
I love Montreal...dated a girl there, good beer, great clubs.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
This is the goal of gun control advocates, to punish and harass ordinary gun owners.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
I agree with the comment in the article that, if anything, they should have taken his gun and turned him around at the border. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
Canada sucks, but I have to side with them here.

This guy needs to grow the fuck up.  Want to own a gun, behave like a fucking adult and don't try to take it through the border of another country.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
I thought many people here were for tough border control.
If he was in Canadian territory what did he expect? They have their laws, regardless if someone disagrees with them or not.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
Pretty sure that if one of us fucked up and tried to take a gun across the border to Canada that we too would end up in prison.

You don't go taking guns on planes do you? You know why? Cause you're not a moron.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
I thought many people here were for tough border control.
If he was in Canadian territory what did he expect? They have their laws, regardless if someone disagrees with them or not.
This... Canada pisses me the fuck off sometimes (more the actual Canadians than the country itself), but you don't violate a countries laws 'accidently' and expect to just be let go. It'd be one thing if he informed the mounty of the firearm and said "Shit, sorry, I'm lost", but he didn't.

And I don't know how you can get lost and just "wind up" in Canada. I know the border is VERY, VERY obvious in Washington.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:48 AM »
This... Canada pisses me the fuck off sometimes (more the actual Canadians than the country itself), but you don't violate a countries laws 'accidently' and expect to just be let go. It'd be one thing if he informed the mounty of the firearm and said "Shit, sorry, I'm lost", but he didn't.

And I don't know how you can get lost and just "wind up" in Canada. I know the border is VERY, VERY obvious in Washington.
w

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »

Yes. Then the doctors tell you your "feelings" need surgery but you have to wait months for it.

At that point, you board a plane to the USA like many of your politicians and fellow citizens have done and get operated by the best doctors in the world within a few days.

Thanks for playing. You are dismissed now.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:29 AM »
Yes. Then the doctors tell you your "feelings" need surgery but you have to wait months for it.

At that point, you board a plane to the USA like many of your politicians and fellow citizens have done and get operated by the best doctors in the world within a few days.

Thanks for playing. You are dismissed now.

I read an article a while back about issues with socialized mental/emotional healthcare in Europe and Canada. Too many citizens with mental/emotional issues who could benefit from professional counseling are simply prescribed drugs for many years because there aren't enough counselors, physiologists, psychiatrists to see all of them in a timely manner and give them the attention they need. 

Yes, those who can afford it and realize that professional counseling can help them and that drugs are not always the solution do go to the USA and other countries to get the professional help that they need, according to the article.

That's one of the problems with socialized medicine, many more people go to the doctor and hospitals because now it's free, and less health care professionals to handle the load because they now get paid much less and there is no longer a financial incentive to choose a career in health care.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 06:17:05 AM »
I read an article a while back about issues with socialized mental/emotional healthcare in Europe and Canada. Too many citizens with mental/emotional issues who could benefit from professional counseling are simply prescribed drugs for many years because there aren't enough counselors, physiologists, psychiatrists to see all of them in a timely manner and give them the attention they need. 

I think you just diagnosed 24kt's problem.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »

Yes, those who can afford it and realize that professional counseling can help them and that drugs are not always the solution do go to the USA and other countries to get the professional help that they need, according to the article.

That's one of the problems with socialized medicine, many more people go to the doctor and hospitals because now it's free, and less health care professionals to handle the load because they now get paid much less and there is no longer a financial incentive to choose a career in health care.

It's one of the problems but it is clearly better as a model for large scale health initiatives. The US system is bleeding dry and has some of the worst outcomes in the modern world. Less people see a doctor per capita then in Canada.

You guys have the best of the best because of the private, however,those without much money etc are not seeing equal care. Money buys care, which is absurd.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Meh.  The intent of a law like this to prevent guns from being smuggled into the country.  If someone made a mistake, even a dumb mistake, he shouldn't be locked up like a violent felon.  Ridiculous waste of resources to try and make some political point.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
fascism showing its ugly face

where are the nice tree huggers now?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
Meh.  The intent of a law like this to prevent guns from being smuggled into the country.  If someone made a mistake, even a dumb mistake, he shouldn't be locked up like a violent felon.  Ridiculous waste of resources to try and make some political point.

OH BULLSHIT.

If it was the other way, you'd be saying that he fucked up and should do the time since he did the crime.

Get your hypocritical bullcrap out of here.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »
fascism showing its ugly face

where are the nice tree huggers now?

Facism? lol

enforcing a law that was broken is facism? you can't just bring fucking weapons into another country. Ignorance is not a defense, the idiot made a mistake regardless of his intent.

He was negligent