Author Topic: Experimenting with pause press's  (Read 986 times)

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
Experimenting with pause press's
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
One of my goals, like most others is an increased bench. Ive been stuck at 225 for 3 reps for awhile now, so I think this could help. I lower the bar in 4 seconds, pause for 2 than explode up, even with my lighter sets. Going to increase cals also because Im super sore today ;D Any one ever try something like this?
 I'm hoping the decrease in momentum will translate to more power, especialy out of the bottom portion of the lift. Rest of my traing is going well, just seems I wasnt meant to have a huge bench :'( Any tips or feed back or even cons on this type of techniuqe. ;D

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
Re: Experimenting with pause press's
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:30:27 PM »
Ive found that doing a shitload of incline work has skyrocketed my bench.  I dont do a whole lot of flat bench to begin with.  I start with incline DB flyes, incline BB, incline DB, pec deck flyes then possibly some DB flats.
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

jondy

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:07:39 PM »
When going to get a bigger bench, remember, a lot of muscles come into play. Triceps and front delts play a huge role. Also, leg drive plays a significant part for people going for more of a power bench. Believe it or not, your back and lats are involved, too. So make sure you're working these body parts sufficiently. Pause presses are a good idea to implement into your program. Even going higher reps for a workout or two could push you through that plateau. Form and technique are huge as well. Sometimes just getting good technique down can dramatically increase your bench.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to work tris on the same day as chest to try and hit the push muscles. Do you think I should work front delts also, in same workout, or save that for another day?

On another note I worked my back and bis today and hit the 90s for 11 reps on dumbell rows,185 for 9 strick reps on bent barbell rows, and puldowns, so I do work my other body parts,its just my bench seems to suffer in relation to my other lifts. Thanks again :D

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to work tris on the same day as chest to try and hit the push muscles. Do you think I should work front delts also, in same workout, or

save delts and tris for another day.  do not do tris on the same day, hit them heavy 3 days after the chest day.

On another note I worked my back and bis today and hit the 90s for 11 reps on dumbell rows,185 for 9 strick reps on bent barbell rows, and puldowns, so I do work my other body parts,its just my bench seems to suffer in relation to my other lifts....

from those weights, your bench is not weak relative to other lifts.  be consistent and progress will come.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 03:15:10 AM »
One of my goals, like most others is an increased bench. Ive been stuck at 225 for 3 reps for awhile now, so I think this could help. I lower the bar in 4 seconds, pause for 2 than explode up, even with my lighter sets. Going to increase cals also because Im super sore today ;D Any one ever try something like this?
 I'm hoping the decrease in momentum will translate to more power, especialy out of the bottom portion of the lift. Rest of my traing is going well, just seems I wasnt meant to have a huge bench :'( Any tips or feed back or even cons on this type of techniuqe. ;D

No need to lower it slow.

But the pause at the chest is a very good idea. It will help your form.

If you practice to lower it fast as possible, and still pause it at the chest, you will become very explosive.

The neuro-muscular strength will go up.

Also, stick with fairly low reps of course. 4-5 reps for at least a few months.

Then go even lower. 2-3 reps.
As empty as paradise

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
When going to get a bigger bench, remember, a lot of muscles come into play. Triceps and front delts play a huge role. Also, leg drive plays a significant part for people going for more of a power bench. Believe it or not, your back and lats are involved, too. So make sure you're working these body parts sufficiently. Pause presses are a good idea to implement into your program. Even going higher reps for a workout or two could push you through that plateau. Form and technique are huge as well. Sometimes just getting good technique down can dramatically increase your bench.

Right on

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:51:51 AM »
i remember reading Ed Coan talk about pause presses and he said they hurt his bench and killed his speed and explosiveness.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:12:51 PM »
i remember reading Ed Coan talk about pause presses and he said they hurt his bench and killed his speed and explosiveness.

Youre exactly right.  Pause presses absolutely destroy the stretch reflex and chew up your CNS.  Only reason to pause a press is because it is a rule of performance.

Jason