Author Topic: AK47 inventor - Mikhail Kalashnikov dies  (Read 17842 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: AK47
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
After too many years of being a weapons enthusiast, I no longer have any interest.

But a long while back we over-ran the bad guy's position and managed to obtain a couple of AK's which, needless to say, we had to hand over to some G-2 officer.

But before doing so, we all took turns firing a decent number of rounds into the river from  an high bridge (before we blew it up) and if memory serves me well, I recall that it felt pretty damn primitive with quite a jolt.

Can one of you experts confirm if this is actually an AK 47 and if you ever fired one yourself?
vietnam Marine? I think they used a lot of Chinese AK copies, so thats probably what you were firing.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
SHOCK! Thanks! I think you're correct.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
ESF is right about the FN-FAL.  Far superior in every way to AKM platforms.  If I had the money, FN-SCAR HEAVY or HK 416.  The AKM is a simple tool.  The FN and HK weapons are precision weapons, and for that matter, the M4/M16 has been engineered throughout the years to be the superior weapons.  I fired the FNSCAR HEAVY once and that is the epitome of firearms engineering, in my opinion.  Look up the specs on it and if you can try one out do it and I think almost everyone will agree.  

Also, Tito24 trolling at epic rates today.   :D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
Will his wife be building a Mystery House also?

Winchester lady?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
ESF is right about the FN-FAL.  Far superior in every way to AKM platforms.  If I had the money, FN-SCAR HEAVY or HK 416.  The AKM is a simple tool.  The FN and HK weapons are precision weapons, and for that matter, the M4/M16 has been engineered throughout the years to be the superior weapons.  I fired the FNSCAR HEAVY once and that is the epitome of firearms engineering, in my opinion.  Look up the specs on it and if you can try one out do it and I think almost everyone will agree.  

ivr handled a mk 17 (SCAR H), but never fired it. I loved the way the grips felt, the stock seemed kinda iffy, but otherwise felt solid

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: AK
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »
how about the 6.8 instead.... I thought NATO was gonna adopt that round
It's a decent round but hyped it 'twas,..didn't really blow away the 556 in any way

Bench

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
ivr handled a mk 17 (SCAR H), but never fired it. I loved the way the grips felt, the stock seemed kinda iffy, but otherwise felt solid

The stock on the one i fired felt fine, but I am pretty sure he modified it.  This thing was tricked out.

The one i fired was owned by a guy that my buddy knows and this dude has at least 7-8 grand worth of rifle with the trijicon acog he had on it.  We were out in a big field and had targets out at 300-500 yards and it felt like plinking targets at 50 feet.  FN is my favorite firearms manufacturer.  That ACOG is a sweet little invention.  I see why spec warfare guys love this rifle so much.  That .308 round is deadly.  It was destroying the barrels we had out at those ranges. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: AK
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »
yeah It has 20 round mags right? Not a fan of that either. I talked to a MARSOC guy not to long ago that said he qas in love with it.... Mk.17 I believe. I guess Navy SPECWAR decided against the Mk 16, because the M4s they have already do the job just fine, and they added the Mk 17 to have a 7.62 assault rifle/carbine to have the extra knockdown power in their repertoire.

basically the contracts they already had for the M4 and its accessories made some officers/politicians way to much money to approve the Mk16 SCAR.. lulz.
If I had to choose between the mk16 and the M4 I'd choose the m4 all day....the 17 is just a different animal though..I'm waiting on a stamp right now for my 12.5" barrel

In all honesty on a battle rifle I'd still rather have the 556 for CQC...I shot my 11.5" ar10 off inside a building one time during a training session and it moved ceiling tiles....308 concussion and muzzle blast is too much on a short barrel combat weapon

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
The stock on the one i fired felt fine, but I am pretty sure he modified it.  This thing was tricked out.

The one i fired was owned by a guy that my buddy knows and this dude has at least 7-8 grand worth of rifle with the trijicon acog he had on it.  We were out in a big field and had targets out at 300-500 yards and it felt like plinking targets at 50 feet.  FN is my favorite firearms manufacturer.  That ACOG is a sweet little invention.  I see why spec warfare guys love this rifle so much.  That .308 round is deadly.  It was destroying the barrels we had out at those ranges. 
When I was issued the 17(only for 1 1/2 month) I ran the Swarovski n6i 1-6 on it...now on my personal 17 I run the same optic in a bobro mount..

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »

One of my most used guns I own is my fal..folder stock, 12" barrel..loud as shit but it's fun..I've taken it to carbine classes a couple of times just to play around

Bench

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
One of my most used guns I own is my fal..folder stock, 12" barrel..loud as shit but it's fun..I've taken it to carbine classes a couple of times just to play around

Bench

Do you wear short with it  ;D?

®

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
Do you wear short with it  ;D?

Haven't considered it! Gonna have to take the scissors to my board shorts!

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
Just dusted off my ak and shot off a few rounds in my backyard...wasn't wearing ear pro ..which sucks cause the barrel is only 7.5"..got a badass headache now

Bench

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
AK47 is the greatest war rifle ever.  EVER!  For me, it beats the AR hands down for one reason.  The piston driven bolt vs the gas system of the AR.  If the AR takes a nasty spill, you risk damaging the gas system.  For a war / SHTF rifle, the AK wins.  I can throw my AK's down a hillside, and not worry about it firing.  Can't say the same for my AR's.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
AK47 is the greatest war rifle ever.  EVER!  For me, it beats the AR hands down for one reason.  The piston driven bolt vs the gas system of the AR.  If the AR takes a nasty spill, you risk damaging the gas system.  For a war / SHTF rifle, the AK wins.  I can throw my AK's down a hillside, and not worry about it firing.  Can't say the same for my AR's.
have you been in a war with an AK or an AR?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
Lots of state of the art high tech weapons out there...but for the avg Joe looking for an all purpose rifle in a SHTF world...AK wins.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
have you been in a war with an AK or an AR?

Nope, neither.

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Nope, neither.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
All of this made me laugh lol

I've had several ak's explode in my hands...the worst I've ever had out of an AR/M4/SPR was a case head separation due to an ammo problem..

Modern AR's and m4's exceed the ak's reliability by a long shot, and accuracy and range are way better

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Greatest war rifle by the way is likely the FN FAL...lots of military use them..more reliable than an ak, built to better specs, more accurate, and shoot a .308...

I for one though think of weapons as tools...so I have no favorite in general weapon

Bench

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
All of this made me laugh lol

I've had several ak's explode in my hands...the worst I've ever had out of an AR/M4/SPR was a case head separation due to an ammo problem..

Modern AR's and m4's exceed the ak's reliability by a long shot, and accuracy and range are way better

Bench

And I can say exactly the opposite, based on my personal use.  I've never had a single misfire, jam, etc. with my AK's.  Nothing in 10000+ rounds!  My AR's on the other hand:  Light primer strikes, fail to feed, fail to fire, not going into battery, magazine not seating all the way, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I love the AR, and it offers much more than the AK (especially at distance).  However, if I could only keep one platform, it would be the AK.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Having said all that, I don't use my AK's for anything except target shooting.  My AR's on the other hand go hog hunting, and they do a fine job.  

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »
And I can say exactly the opposite, based on my personal use.  I've never had a single misfire, jam, etc. with my AK's.  Nothing in 10000+ rounds!  My AR's on the other hand:  Light primer strikes, fail to feed, fail to fire, not going into battery, magazine not seating all the way, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I love the AR, and it offers much more than the AK (especially at distance).  However, if I could only keep one platform, it would be the AK.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Having said all that, I don't use my AK's for anything except target shooting.  My AR's on the other hand go hog hunting, and they do a fine job.  
You either don't have an ar, or you do have one and it's a POS

Bench

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »
You either don't have an ar, or you do have one and it's a POS

Bench

I've had a 6940, 6920, PSA build, Spikes build, Bushmaster 14.5.  I currently have two Core15's and I'm building two PSA's.  I've had issues (big or small) with all except the Core15's, and the Spikes build.  I've had a handful of AK's, and currently have a Mak90 and a PAP-N.  Again, I've never had a single issue with any of my AK's in over 10000+ rounds, other than the fact that I can't hit shit with them past 100 yards. 

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
Greatest war rifle by the way is likely the FN FAL...lots of military use them..more reliable than an ak, built to better specs, more accurate, and shoot a .308...

I for one though think of weapons as tools...so I have no favorite in general weapon

Bench

x2