Author Topic: The Craig I knew.......  (Read 17472 times)

Ozark

• Getbig II
The Craig I knew.......
« on: December 24, 2005, 07:46:06 PM »

I used to be his workout partner for a while back in the 90's,  before he moved of to LA..... and the  thing that I can say about Craig,  ( back then)  is he was alway's nice to me, I was not your typical Bodybuilder in the fact I had a good job, and never was into the Bodybuilding lifestyle, except  for the training, eating  and trying to  get big.  I never did recreational drugs, heck I have never even smoked  weed, I  just never wanted to.   One day Craig approached me at the gym, and asked  if I wanted to train with him, as he was about 3 months out from a contest, and he needed a serious  training partner, I agreed, and we started traiinng,    We trained hard in the gym for about a year,  became somewhat  good friends,  we would meet for lunch when my schedule  allowed it.  Back then, ( llike now) I made a good living, and Craig never once hit me up for a loan,  or tried to use me, like all the other stories I have read on here, never one time did he try to sell me drug's or even ask if I used recreational drugs.  Well about a year later, my job was transfered to another city , and we never did train together again, I heard he moved  out out to LA with his girlfriend shorly there after.

I remember some of the other guy's he hung around with at the time,  I remember a friend of his that would come train with us every now and then, he ( his friend) had a ankle bracelet ( Monitor) and I remember Craig telling me he was out on bail for something , but to be honest I dont remember what,  and also maybe 2 or 3 other guys that  he would hang out with in the gym some, they all seemed to not have a real job, and they seemed to all date Strippers.

He used to tell me how shady the Bodybuilding industry was ( in detail),  he would tell me  that he hoped to turn pro soon,  save his cash, and be out of it in 5 to 10 years, this was back around 94 , 95.  He used to tell me I was lucky that I had a life outsdfe of Bodybuilding , a career, and was not a Bodybuilding  Bum,  and although many used to tell me  I should get more serious and that I could go far becasue of my genetics, but that was never an interest to me,  I just never had a desire to  get in a small swim suit, and get up in front of people on a stage) plus I had busted my ass in college, and already had my career going . Wel after a year  I lost touch with him,  and had not talked to him  in over 8 yearsor so,   and now to read  about all of this , is just shocking.

All I can say is this was not the Craig I knew, not the least bit,  he was always nice to me,   very humble and seemed to be very focused on his future in Bodybuilding and  for his day's after  bodybuilding.

To read how messed up his life has become, it just shocking,  I sit here now and wonder did I ever really know him ? or was it the recreational drugs that changed him ?  like in the latest Johnny Cash movie, how when Cash got into  to drugs,  he went down hill fast, and lost all of his friends and family, until finally getting  clean,  was this what happened to Craig maybe ?  or was it him moving to LA that did this ?  like all the stories he told me about  LA, ? It just seems  it is best not to ever go to LA,  Haney in Georgia, Yates staying in England,  Coleman in Texas, it just seems it is best to stay out of that LA bodybuilding scene . Buit what do I know.... ?  I am only going of of what he himself told me about LA, and what I have also read on here. maybe it is  bad every where for People in the Bodybuilding  Liferstyle now.

I don't really know the answer,  as the Craig I knew was 10 years ago.  All I do know is it is so tragic to read about all of this, and all of the lives that are ruined.   

Neve

Re: The Craig I knew.......
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 07:49:35 PM »
Craig is still the same Craig.

The only difference is his wife IMO killed someone.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 08:01:50 PM »
Yep he is the same old guy.  Ex-con drug dealing scumbag and now murderer or at the very least an accessory to murder.  Yep he is the old guy.  But hopefully now he'll be put away for good. 

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »

Well - everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I have known Craig for a while, and he has only been cool with me. Same with Kelly. I prefer to see the complete set of facts instead of lots of he said, she said stuff.

As for Matt Kline, I have only met him at some parties, and took some cool pics in Vegas.

But do you know exactly what happened yet? Did she overdose, did Kelly do it, did Craig do it. Is there another story that we don't know yet.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »
This thing's going to make a great made-for-TV movie without having to embelish much.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 04:32:57 AM »
Well - everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I have known Craig for a while, and he has only been cool with me. Same with Kelly. I prefer to see the complete set of facts instead of lots of he said, she said stuff.

As for Matt Kline, I have only met him at some parties, and took some cool pics in Vegas.

But do you know exactly what happened yet? Did she overdose, did Kelly do it, did Craig do it. Is there another story that we don't know yet.

hopefully we will learn more when the state officially files charges

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »
It just goes to show you how the bodybuilding/party  lifestyle can change someone, same with hollywood stars!

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 10:23:28 AM »
I met him about two years , and he seemed very cool, on the other hand a ten minutes conversation wont give you a full picture of one's character...but all this seems very strange and diabolically tangled up so until more details are gonna be coming out I'll keep an open mind. Lot of facts are pointing actually towards Kelly.... :'(
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 10:24:28 AM »
Initial impressions have little bearing. OJ was one of the nicest guys i ever met, no attitude.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:28:25 AM »
That's EXACTLY what I said.. ;)
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
L.A. lifestyle changing people...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 10:33:19 AM »
I would say L.A. really DOES change people.  I live about 70 miles from L.A. but recently completed my education there, commuting 75 miles each way.  I will say that one thing about L.A. is that it is a really big city and to be noticed you really need to be above the board, so to speak.  That and the fact it is a vacuum for a lot of good "cultural values" that people just abandon when they get there.  I did post earlier that I had a friend who was really cool then she got into this scene and she did change.  A mutual friend of ours helped her open a gym, buying $30,000 in equipment and all and as soon as she could, she screwed him and forced him out of the business partnership, knowing he had donated his equipment on faith and not really tied in the legal ends. 

IMO, there are a lot of shady people in that scene, I trained at her gym for about 2mos. and I would see "juicebox" looking guys coming in.  Maybe they made their money in other criminal activities, who knows.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: L.A. lifestyle changing people...
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 10:51:41 AM »
I would say L.A. really DOES change people.  I live about 70 miles from L.A. but recently completed my education there, commuting 75 miles each way.  I will say that one thing about L.A. is that it is a really big city and to be noticed you really need to be above the board, so to speak.  That and the fact it is a vacuum for a lot of good "cultural values" that people just abandon when they get there.  I did post earlier that I had a friend who was really cool then she got into this scene and she did change.  A mutual friend of ours helped her open a gym, buying $30,000 in equipment and all and as soon as she could, she screwed him and forced him out of the business partnership, knowing he had donated his equipment on faith and not really tied in the legal ends. 

IMO, there are a lot of shady people in that scene, I trained at her gym for about 2mos. and I would see "juicebox" looking guys coming in.  Maybe they made their money in other criminal activities, who knows.

protect yourself when dealing with industry people.  keep it business not personal.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 10:53:02 AM »
Big cities in general; LA moreso if that's possible. It lives up to the stereotypes.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 05:41:11 PM »
moral of the story: even if you are in the game, keep it in perspective, always have something to fall back on

i live in socal. i train at venice gold's. some people get too wrapped up in it. keep your life in some semblance of balance.
Sultan

Ozark

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 09:36:35 AM »
moral of the story: even if you are in the game, keep in perspective, always have something to fall back on

i live in socal. i train at venice gold's. some people get too wrapped up in it. keep your life in some semblance of balance.

Correct  :)

I also wanted to show that if all of this is true,  Craig was not always this way, and that  something changed him.

LA ?
Drugs ? 
Lifestyle ?
all of the above ?

Just looking back over the last 2 years,  it seems that many of the Pro's who turned Pro in the 1993 -  2000 era have paid a price.
Demayo = life
Matarrazzo  = health
Mike Francois = health
Flex Wheeler = health
Don Long = health
Munzer = life
Momo = life
Don Younglbood = life
Tom Prince = health

A serious question to those who know  :
The fact that here recently very few retire from Pro Bodybuiding with out paying a price .....  such as time in prison,  health, or one's life .
What is the price you are willing to pay for a trophy ?

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 09:51:53 AM »
Well the Craig I knew.................nev er mind, I never really knew Craig.
I dont think any of us "really did." :-\

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 09:54:48 AM »
I don't think it's a coincidence that Coleman seems relatively normal & to my knowledge, has never lived in Venice or surroundings.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 09:56:45 AM »
Where you live is not the problem son.
For the record, in case you missed it, Titus was living in Las Vegas when this occurred and has been for the last 4 years.
That being said, "Murders" live through out the world. :-*

Ozark

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 10:01:28 AM »
Shawn,  you missed the point.

It is not where he lived currently,  the question is did living in the LA bodybuilding scene for a period of time change him ?
or was it the drugs,
or the Lifestyle ?
or ?

look at the last 20 years of  the Mr Olympia ....

the trophy went to  people that lived away from LA,  and the LA scene

Haney in  in Georgia
Yates in England
and now Coleman living in Texas

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 10:12:36 AM »
I understand the insinuation but please, dude left LA because of the Drama for a place that is Full of Drama! Sin City, Party 24/7, Strip Clubs, Sex, Drug Etc............
Venice is many things but it doesn't make people into Killers.
Where you live is not What you are.
There are far more examples of functional people living in LA and Venice who do quite well, than the ones who lose themselves.
LA, like NY and Vegas is tough for people to move into and blend in but Titus live most of his life on the West coast with short stints in Detroit and Texas, Dude is going to be 41 Jan 14th, so when you stack up how long he lived in LA and Vegas it was more than anywhere else in his life.
Just pointing out that where you live does not dictate what you become that's all.
Peace,
S. Ray

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
As mentioned, of course previous living environments have an influence. The degree varies by individual.

You're suggesting that Vegas is a big improvement over Venice?

Previous Olympia winners who seem most grounded don't seem to have been living in Venice for the most part. Oliva's another example.

Neve

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 11:19:20 AM »
takes alot of power within not to let your environment consume you.

environment has alot to do with your lifestyle for the weak ones

vegas will leave you dry.

Where you live is not the problem son.
For the record, in case you missed it, Titus was living in Las Vegas when this occurred and has been for the last 4 years.
That being said, "Murders" live through out the world. :-*

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2005, 11:42:33 AM »

Outside of being found in the trunk of a burned Jaguar, are most OD victims found with a noose around their neck and duck tape on their mouths Ron?
:D Weee

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »
CT was on the road to recklessness long before LA

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 12:05:04 PM »
How do you know that? Causes can't often be separated. Environment's often a contributing factor, like anything else. Recovering alchoholics don't work in liquor stores.