Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 181748 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2015, 06:06:33 AM »
Off to a great start.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/rick-santorum-iowa-event-one-voter-turnout-118774.html

At first, one was the loneliest number for Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Monday.

Just one Iowan showed up at 2 p.m. campaign stop Monday at a restaurant in the unincorporated community of Hamlin, population 300, according to a report from The Des Moines Register — Peggy Toft, an insurance agent who chairs the county’s Republican Party.

“We didn’t have a lot of notice that he was going to be there,” Toft said in a telephone interview with POLITICO, explaining the low turnout.

But even she would not endorse Santorum outright.

The Audubon County Republican chair said that she is “leaning” toward supporting Santorum but has not yet made a decision about whom she would support in the caucus.

“I feel like I have to get all of the facts,” she said.

The presidential candidate spoke for about 10 minutes one-on-one with Toft, outlining what differentiates him from the rest of the Republican field, she said.

Toft said she agrees with Santorum’s views on the Affordable Care Act, marriage, family and his overall conservative views.

The two also discussed Santorum’s business experience.

“It helps a lot as far as grassroots,” she said. “Should I decide to vote for him, I will get the word out.”

Eventually, there were four Iowans gathered at Santorum’s table (not counting photographers and campaign aides), where the 2016 hopeful lunched on a breaded tenderloin with a side of onion rings.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Louie Gohmert and other Texas congressmen to endorse Ted Cruz’s 2016 bid

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz‘s presidential campaign will announce the endorsements of four members of the Texas congressional delegation.
Republican U.S. Reps. Michael Burgess of Lewisville, John Culberson of Houston, Louie Gohmert of Tyler and John Ratcliffe of Heath are all backing the state’s junior senator on Thursday, according to a Cruz campaign news release obtained by The Texas Tribune.

The quartet’s support of Cruz is not altogether surprising, as the representatives constitute four of the state’s most conservative U.S. House members.

Gohmert was part of the “Tortilla Coast Caucus,” a group that met with Cruz in a Capitol Hill restaurant basement during the government shutdown and is known to follow his lead on House floor votes.

Culberson previously announced his support for Cruz last month on his own. Ratcliffe defeated longtime U.S. Rep. Ralph Hall last spring, successfully challenging the GOP establishment. And Burgess is a vocal conservative, specifically on the 2010 health care overhaul law.

Gohmert had a specifically pointed statement in the batch of endorsements.

“With a Ted Cruz Presidency, America will finally be respected around the world again as other nations will see a courageous and intellectual leader, NEVER wavering on principle, who stands by our allies leaving other countries afraid to be our enemy,” he wrote.

The Texas GOP’s congressional delegation is known to wield its influence by sticking together as a voting bloc. But when it comes to presidential politics, the 25-person GOP House delegation is likely to splinter.

There are three other presidential contenders with direct ties to Texas who will be competing for congressional endorsements. Former Gov. Rick Perry is the state’s longest-serving executive. U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush grew up in Texas.

A slew of other presidential contenders are making frequent Texas stops to court Texas donors.

But one Texas delegation member said earlier this year he will not be endorsing Cruz, or anyone else. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn told the Tribune in January he has no intention of backing any contender in the GOP nomination fight.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
Louie Gohmert and other Texas congressmen to endorse Ted Cruz’s 2016 bid

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz‘s presidential campaign will announce the endorsements of four members of the Texas congressional delegation.
Republican U.S. Reps. Michael Burgess of Lewisville, John Culberson of Houston, Louie Gohmert of Tyler and John Ratcliffe of Heath are all backing the state’s junior senator on Thursday, according to a Cruz campaign news release obtained by The Texas Tribune.

The quartet’s support of Cruz is not altogether surprising, as the representatives constitute four of the state’s most conservative U.S. House members.

Gohmert was part of the “Tortilla Coast Caucus,” a group that met with Cruz in a Capitol Hill restaurant basement during the government shutdown and is known to follow his lead on House floor votes.

Culberson previously announced his support for Cruz last month on his own. Ratcliffe defeated longtime U.S. Rep. Ralph Hall last spring, successfully challenging the GOP establishment. And Burgess is a vocal conservative, specifically on the 2010 health care overhaul law.

Gohmert had a specifically pointed statement in the batch of endorsements.

“With a Ted Cruz Presidency, America will finally be respected around the world again as other nations will see a courageous and intellectual leader, NEVER wavering on principle, who stands by our allies leaving other countries afraid to be our enemy,” he wrote.

The Texas GOP’s congressional delegation is known to wield its influence by sticking together as a voting bloc. But when it comes to presidential politics, the 25-person GOP House delegation is likely to splinter.

There are three other presidential contenders with direct ties to Texas who will be competing for congressional endorsements. Former Gov. Rick Perry is the state’s longest-serving executive. U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush grew up in Texas.

A slew of other presidential contenders are making frequent Texas stops to court Texas donors.

But one Texas delegation member said earlier this year he will not be endorsing Cruz, or anyone else. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn told the Tribune in January he has no intention of backing any contender in the GOP nomination fight.

He has really fallen off the radar the past few weeks. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »

Maybe so but things can change drastically once all the candidates are up on stage answering questions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
Maybe so but things can change drastically once all the candidates are up on stage answering questions.

I agree.  The debates will help weed out the weak and create separation between the handful who will be legitimate contenders and the rest of the pack going into the primary season.  I think Cruz, Rubio, and Walker will do very well in debates. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
I agree.  The debates will help weed out the weak and create separation between the handful who will be legitimate contenders and the rest of the pack going into the primary season.  I think Cruz, Rubio, and Walker will do very well in debates. 

Yep. I remember when Rudy Guliani was the pick of alot of people going in and a few weeks later he just fell off the map.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Yep. I remember when Rudy Guliani was the pick of alot of people going in and a few weeks later he just fell off the map.

Same with Rick Perry. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #557 on: June 11, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »

thats a good thing.  He hasn't been under indictment like Perry or stepping in shit like Jeb.  He's been quietly campaigning and building his base in key early states.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #558 on: June 11, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
thats a good thing.  He hasn't been under indictment like Perry or stepping in shit like Jeb.  He's been quietly campaigning and building his base in key early states.

Yeah.  Sure he has.  lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #559 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Yeah.  Sure he has.  lol

Maybe you missed him speaking at the Faith and Freedom Coalition summit in Iowa this week.  Said some great things.

But I guess you're too busy tracking "electable" "sorta-conservatives" like Christie.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #560 on: June 11, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
Maybe you missed him speaking at the Faith and Freedom Coalition summit in Iowa this week.  Said some great things.

But I guess you're too busy tracking "electable" "sorta-conservatives" like Christie.

Dude I don't take anything you say at face value, because you are a chronic liar. 

I would bet dollars to donuts you didn't watch whatever speech he gave.  You don't support him or any other Republican running for office.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #561 on: June 11, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
Some mealy mouthed promises and a few good ones. 

The GOP Hopefuls Talk About What They'd Do First
Thursday, 11 Jun 2015

If there's any question a presidential candidate should be ready for, it's: What's the first thing you would do if you were president?

In an interview with the Washington Post published Wednesday, Senator Ted Cruz, a Texas Republican, said he would work on repealing any executive orders from President Barack Obama that exceed the legal authority of the office. Given that Cruz has made a name for himself in part by railing against what he perceives to be Obama's “lawlessness,” it's a fitting answer.

A president's first 100 days is shorthand stemming from the Franklin D. Roosevelt era for what can a leader accomplish during their honeymoon period with the American public. A look at what other presidential hopefuls have said, then, is a stand- in for the one goal they're most willing to spend their political capital on. Below, we've collected what 10 official and unofficial candidates have said about the early days of their hypothetical presidencies. Ted Cruz

The White House is well aware of the potential for a Republican president to dismantle Obama’s legacy. “Our first 100 days we spent a lot of time signing executive orders undoing what [President George W.] Bush did,” Dan Pfeiffer, a former senior aide to Obama, told the Wall Street Journal last year. “I would like not to be sitting on a beach somewhere reading about President Cruz doing that to us, so it’s very important to us” that the actions stand, Pfeiffer said.

Cruz says he would do just that. “If you live by the pen, you die by the pen,” he told the Post. “Everything put in place by executive order can be undone by executive order.” He added that he would use his first 100 days “to engage in a careful, systematic review of each executive action and to rescind every one of them that exceeds the Constitutional and legal authority of the president.”

Rand Paul:

On his first day, he said, he would also convene his national security team to conduct a “serious, careful, sober” analysis of Iran's nuclear capabilities.

Since launching his presidential campaign on April 7, the Kentucky senator has focused on the National Security Agency's spying program, and he says ending it would be his first order of business.

Carly Fiorina

On day one of the Fiorina presidency, the former HP CEO says she would make three calls. “First is to the prime minister of Israel because how we treat our friends is reassuring to our other friends,” she said during an interview in May after her campaign announcement. Her second call would be to “the head of Iran” to say the U.S. is imposing more sanctions, she said, and her third call would be to the Democratic Party. “I would tell them, ‘We have work to do and I look forward to working with both Republicans and Democrats to get work done.’”

Rick Perry

In his announcement speech last week, the former Texas governor laid out a vision for a very busy first day in the Oval Office.

“On my first day in office, I will issue an immediate freeze on all pending regulations from the Obama administration,” Perry said. “That same day, I will send to Congress a comprehensive reform and rollback of job-killing mandates created by Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, and other Obama-era policies.” He'd also sign an executive order approving construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, he said.

Jeb Bush

The former Florida governor, who is expected to announce his campaign on Monday, said in May that during his first 100 days in office he would try to change the regulatory environment and “focus on the things the executive branch, the presidency, the president can do without a whole lot of interaction with Congress.”

He said he would hire officials who aren't “just political hacks and academics,” undo executive orders he doesn't agree with, and focus on proposals that have bipartisan support. He said he would also work to “restore the relationships” with countries abroad (specifically with Netanyahu) that foster peace, and repeal Obamacare.

“I think repealing Obamacare and replacing it with a 21st century, consumer-directed, patient-driven heath care system has to be a high priority,” he said.

Ben Carson

“Well, I think it would be important to have a conversation with the House and the Senate and talk about what our goals as a nation should be,” the retired neurosurgeon said in an April video before he announced his campaign. He goes on to say that he and congressional leaders would lay out “common goals and objectives” and “start by doing some things we all agreed needed to be done.”

He said getting through the easy tasks would help build stronger relationships. He went on to say that the U.S. needs to do “something” to address the national debt and to stimulate the economy with deregulation.

“I think if we use that kind of approach we'll be just fine,” Carson says.

Scott Walker

In March, conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt asked the Wisconsin governor if he would reject any Iran deal he inherited from the Obama administration if it allowed Iran to continue its uranium enrichment program. “Absolutely, on Day One,” replied Walker, who is expected to announce his campaign in coming weeks.

Chris Christie

The New Jersey governor hasn't formally announced yet, but in February he laid out three priorities for his first 100 days. “Within the first 100 days, if I were to run for president and be elected, we would change this tax system in this country so that people and companies aren't leaving the country anymore,” he told a group of New Hampshire Republicans.

“Secondly, we would pass a national energy policy, and one that takes full advantage of all of the resources that we have available to us to help grow our economy and make the world a more peaceful and stable place,” he continued, adding, “And the third thing is ... is to reestablish American leadership around the world.”

Bobby Jindal

In May, the Washington Examiner's David M. Drucker asked the Louisiana governor what he would do on “Day One” if he was elected president. “The very first thing the president's got to do, domestically, is repeal and replace Obamacare,” replied Jindal, who is expected to announce his campaign on June 24.

When Drucker said he might not have the votes, Jindal said Democrats wouldn't be as supportive of Obamacare with a Republican in the White House. “I don't think Republicans should start off assuming that Democrats won't help them to get rid of Obamacare. We won elections in a lot of states the president carried, in 2014, [by running] on Obamacare,” he said.

Lindsey Graham

The South Carolina senator's most well known statement on his first days in office came in March, before he announced his campaign, when he told an audience in New Hampshire that he would “literally use the military” to keep Congress in Washington until they ended sequestration cuts to the defense budget.

"And here is the first thing I would do if I were president of the United States: I wouldn’t let Congress leave town until we fix this. I would literally use the military to keep them in if I had to. We’re not leaving town until we restore these defense cuts. We’re not leaving town until we restore the intel cuts. Killing terrorists is the only option other than capturing them, because they're not deterred by death."

As Bloomberg's David Weigel noted, this was a joke, though some media outlets didn't take it that way.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/BBCHTO-BGOVBILLGO-BGOVCODES-BIZNEWS/2015/06/11/id/649938/#ixzz3cmfNivbw

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #562 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »
Lindsey Graham told an audience in New Hampshire that he would “literally use the military” to keep Congress in Washington

Not sure Lindsey Graham understands Posse Comitatus Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Or, he thinks it's a joke. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Lindsey Graham told an audience in New Hampshire that he would “literally use the military” to keep Congress in Washington

Not sure Lindsey Graham understands Posse Comitatus Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Or, he thinks it's a joke. 

"As Bloomberg's David Weigel noted, this was a joke, though some media outlets didn't take it that way."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
"As Bloomberg's David Weigel noted, this was a joke, though some media outlets didn't take it that way."

joking about using the US military on its own citizens?  Maybe they'd be giggling if obama 'joked' about using FEMA to round up republicans, or if HIlary "joked" about locking people in camps if they protest her stealing the 2016 election. 

I guess jokes about face-f**king the Constitution are only funny when RINOs like Graham make them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #565 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
joking about using the US military on its own citizens?  Maybe they'd be giggling if obama 'joked' about using FEMA to round up republicans, or if HIlary "joked" about locking people in camps if they protest her stealing the 2016 election. 

I guess jokes about face-f**king the Constitution are only funny when RINOs like Graham make them.

Nobody cares.  Except for low information voters.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
Nobody cares.  Except for low information voters.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #567 on: June 11, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
If I were Cruz I'd pay Gohmert to go away and not endorse him

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/whfeyg/louie-gohmert-on-gays-in-the-military

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »

open that mouth a little wider and democrat senator larry craig might come kicking around your bathroom stall.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #570 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
open that mouth a little wider and democrat senator larry craig might come kicking around your bathroom stall.

::)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #571 on: June 11, 2015, 04:22:04 PM »
WALKER FLOATS RUBIO AS RUNNING MATE — ‘ARM WRESTLE OVER WHO WOULD BE TOP OF THE TICKET’

Thursday on Bloomberg’s, “With All Due Respect,” potential Republican presidential candidate Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) said both he and Sen. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)talk and joke about the idea of running together as a ticket, they just can’t decided who would be at the top.

When asked by co-host Mark Halperin if he would be open to being on a presidential ticket with Rubio, Walker said, “I do like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), I think he and I have similar thoughts on national defense and foreign policy.”

Walker said, “I’ve actually had quite a few people, grassroots supporters, donors, and others, who have made that suggestion. I think for now, you know, Marco is a quality candidate. He’s going to be formidable in this race as things progress. And if we were to get in, we’d be as well, and we’ll see where things take us.”

He added, “Marco and I joke about it that people mention it. It’s just we would have to arm wrestle over who would be top of the ticket.”

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #572 on: June 11, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
WALKER FLOATS RUBIO AS RUNNING MATE — ‘ARM WRESTLE OVER WHO WOULD BE TOP OF THE TICKET’

Thursday on Bloomberg’s, “With All Due Respect,” potential Republican presidential candidate Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) said both he and Sen. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)talk and joke about the idea of running together as a ticket, they just can’t decided who would be at the top.

When asked by co-host Mark Halperin if he would be open to being on a presidential ticket with Rubio, Walker said, “I do like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), I think he and I have similar thoughts on national defense and foreign policy.”

Walker said, “I’ve actually had quite a few people, grassroots supporters, donors, and others, who have made that suggestion. I think for now, you know, Marco is a quality candidate. He’s going to be formidable in this race as things progress. And if we were to get in, we’d be as well, and we’ll see where things take us.”

He added, “Marco and I joke about it that people mention it. It’s just we would have to arm wrestle over who would be top of the ticket.”

He's more likely to be Bush's running mate.   :-\

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #573 on: June 11, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
He's more likely to be Bush's running mate.   :-\

For The Love Of God.....NO MORE BUSH VS CLINTON!!!!  :( >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #574 on: June 11, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
For The Love Of God.....NO MORE BUSH VS CLINTON!!!!  :( >:(

I don't want to say it's inevitable, but the amount of money they will each raise is going to be obscene.  Bush may very well crush his competition in fundraising.  I hope it doesn't happen, but cash is king.