Author Topic: Why do atheists think they're smarter than most people?  (Read 52469 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: Why do atheists think they're smarter than most people?
« Reply #500 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
For me, I simply humbled myself to the idea that there must to be something more that what I understood if others were willing to give their lives for the will of Jesus Christ......and were happy about it LOL.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid that that can't be what happened. If it were, you would be willing to change your belief(s) regarding Jesus given that the 'willing to give their lives and be happy about it' criterion for the veracity of beliefs is actually much, much more in favor of Al Qaeda's core beliefs -- to say nothing of a huge variety of historical belief systems. Since this won't happen anytime soon, you obviously didn't use that criterion to determine your belief (or at least, you aren't using it to maintain said belief).

It is also apparently the case that you won't change your beliefs for literally any reason whatsoever, whether said reasons be derived from history, science, logic, or everyday experience.* These beliefs are seemingly completely inaccessible to the faculties that typically produce reasoned thought in cognitive systems like ours. And that's an interesting phenomenon that I hope cognitive psychologists can provide insights on some day.

*This is easily confirmed: no matter what any scientist says, you aren't going to say, "Ah, my relationship with God was an illusion this whole time!" and so on for any other reason proffered. Surely you would agree that this is the case?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #501 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »
strange is something that rarely happens, you know 1 in a million is strange but when half the world thinks this way I find it highly inappropriate for you to classify it as strange. Thinking there is nothing after death to me sounds strange as well.

::) ::)

Great logic. People believe a lot of things that arent true, and just because the vast majority believe something, doesnt make it true.

Try again.

Oh wait, it is, because the world isn't flat.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #502 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
::)

and simply put, its true. You fear the unknown. You fear hell. If this was never instilled in you, you would probably find no reason to believe in a God.
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #503 on: November 14, 2013, 12:10:23 AM »

::) ::)

Great logic. People believe a lot of things that arent true, and just because the vast majority believe something, doesnt make it true.

Try again.

Oh wait, it is, because the world isn't flat.
again taking shit out of content, who said anything about believing in something because half the world does? You do not classify something strange unless it is not the norm, you missed the point entirely.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #504 on: November 14, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
again taking shit out of content, who said anything about believing in something because half the world does? You do not classify something strange unless it is not the norm, you missed the point entirely.

Well, actually I did not miss the point because it really depends on how you are operationally defining the word "strange."
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #505 on: November 14, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »

Well, actually I did not miss the point because it really depends on how you are operationally defining the word "strange."
is it strange to believe in Islam, no because there are a billion Muslims, is it strange to believe there is no God, no because a lot of people do not believe in God, is it strange to believe in Godzilla, YES that is strange because it is not the norm.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #506 on: November 14, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »
stranger danger

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #507 on: November 14, 2013, 03:02:24 AM »
I agree, I do not know, my belief is based on faith.

As for checking out, it does not work that way, lol, we have duties here and are judged on both are selfishness and selflessness.
It's hard keeping up with you religious types, you said after death God has something better for us, that doesn't sound like someone who claims they don't know what happens after death.  And I don't believe there is such a thing as selflessness, it's self defeating.  Whatever actions people take, it is always based on what they get out of it, even if it's simply praise for being so called selfless.
V

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #508 on: November 14, 2013, 03:14:27 AM »
It's hard keeping up with you religious types, you said after death God has something better for us, that doesn't sound like someone who claims they don't know what happens after death.  And I don't believe there is such a thing as selflessness, it's self defeating.  Whatever actions people take, it is always based on what they get out of it, even if it's simply praise for being so called selfless.
not true at all, I care less or give 2 shits about anything when my son is sick, I am by his side to comfort him unconditionally.

I know it is hard for you to understand the concept of selflessness but there are actions that have no self benefit among a few good people/

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #509 on: November 14, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »
not true at all, I care less or give 2 shits about anything when my son is sick, I am by his side to comfort him unconditionally.

I know it is hard for you to understand the concept of selflessness but there are actions that have no self benefit among a few good people/
You fail to understand the concept.  What you described is an incredibly selfish act, you have a vested interest in keeping your genes ongoing.  By caring for your son, you are REWARDED, you benefit from the interaction, there is a biological payoff.  There may also be secondary benefits, that others will consider you a caring SELFLESS person and favor you in their interactions.  Your son may also return the favour at a later date.  In short, your chance of survival is increased by behaving in such a way.  There is no such thing as SELFLESS.  There is a reason you treat your son in this way and are completely indifferent to other peoples suffering, you receive no biological payoff by caring for other peoples children.

V

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #510 on: November 14, 2013, 03:34:15 AM »
You fail to understand the concept.  What you described is an incredibly selfish act, you have a vested interest in keeping your genes ongoing.  By caring for your son, you are REWARDED, you benefit from the interaction, there is a biological payoff.  There may also be secondary benefits, that others will consider you a caring SELFLESS person and favor you in their interactions.  There is no such thing as SELFLESS.  There is a reason you treat your son in this way and are completely indifferent to other peoples suffering, you receive no biological payoff by caring for other peoples children.
wrong, I do not give a shit about keeping my genes going, that is bs, if my son decided not to have kids I would not care/

Everything I do for him benefits me nothing accept satisfying my love and that in itself is what selflessness is, I see your perspective but you are being way to technical here

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #511 on: November 14, 2013, 03:42:41 AM »
wrong, I do not give a shit about keeping my genes going, that is bs, if my son decided not to have kids I would not care/

Everything I do for him benefits me nothing accept satisfying my love and that in itself is what selflessness is, I see your perspective but you are being way to technical here
If you do not care about your genes surviving, why did you have children in the first place?  Was that a selfish act?  Did you want something too care for to obtain some psychological reward?  You admit by doing things for your son your need for love is satisfied, in effect your son is used as a proxy to fulfill some need you have for satisfying your love.  Sounds kind of co-dependent.  From what you have stated, it appears you receive plenty of psychological reward from perceiving yourself to be SELFLESS.  You like how it feels when you consider yourself SELFLESS.  If you acknowledged that your actions were selfish you wouldn't benefit as much, even if the benefit to the other was still the same.

And motivations are technical, human relationships deeply complex. I just think you choose to see things simply as that is all you have the capacity for.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I do think it puts limitations on the levels of self awareness that is obtainable.
V

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #512 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:25 AM »
If you do not care about your genes surviving, why did you have children in the first place?  Was that a selfish act?  Did you want something too care for to obtain some psychological reward?  You admit by doing things for your son your need for love is satisfied, in effect your son is used as a proxy to fulfill some need you have for satisfying your love.  Sounds kind of co-dependent.  From what you have stated, it appears you receive plenty of psychological reward from perceiving yourself to be SELFLESS.  You like how it feels when you consider yourself SELFLESS.  If you acknowledged that your actions were selfish you wouldn't benefit as much, even if the benefit to the other was still the same.

And motivations are technical, human relationships deeply complex. I just think you choose to see things simply as that is all you have the capacity for.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I do think it puts limitations on the levels of self awareness that is obtainable.
This is not what people mean when they use that word, this is to technical and I do not care to discuss semantics.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #513 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
Can we at least agree that Jesus is by far a better paragon of moral virtue than the desert rat, Muhammad.
A

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #514 on: November 14, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »
Can we at least agree that Jesus is by far a better paragon of moral virtue than the desert rat, Muhammad.
I do not wish to insult Muslims but yes Jesus is by far better them anyone, including Muhammad

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #515 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
I do not wish to insult Muslims but yes Jesus is by far better them anyone, including Muhammad

You might be surprised but I do read the bible and Jesus is a vastly superior teacher to Muhammad.  It's not politically correct to say so but it's obvious to anyone.  Islams treatment of Jesus should be insulting and blasphemous to a Christian.
A

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #516 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:33 AM »
You might be surprised but I do read the bible and Jesus is a vastly superior teacher to Muhammad.  It's not politically correct to say so but it's obvious to anyone.  Islams treatment of Jesus should be insulting and blasphemous to a Christian.
I read the Koran and they refer to Jesus as son of Mary and they do not insult Jesus but from the perspective of a Christian it does come across as mockery.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #517 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:04 AM »
I read the Koran and they refer to Jesus as son of Mary and they do not insult Jesus but from the perspective of a Christian it does come across as mockery.

I've read a lot on Islam as well. Islam denies the divinity of Christ and do not believe he died on the cross.  These are two very essential components of the Christian faith.   Muslims believe when Christ returns he will destroy all the crosses because they are false symbols.  Read not only the Quran but the Surah.
A

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #518 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm afraid that that can't be what happened. If it were, you would be willing to change your belief(s) regarding Jesus given that the 'willing to give their lives and be happy about it' criterion for the veracity of beliefs is actually much, much more in favor of Al Qaeda's core beliefs -- to say nothing of a huge variety of historical belief systems. Since this won't happen anytime soon, you obviously didn't use that criterion to determine your belief (or at least, you aren't using it to maintain said belief).

It is also apparently the case that you won't change your beliefs for literally any reason whatsoever, whether said reasons be derived from history, science, logic, or everyday experience.* These beliefs are seemingly completely inaccessible to the faculties that typically produce reasoned thought in cognitive systems like ours. And that's an interesting phenomenon that I hope cognitive psychologists can provide insights on some day.

*This is easily confirmed: no matter what any scientist says, you aren't going to say, "Ah, my relationship with God was an illusion this whole time!" and so on for any other reason proffered. Surely you would agree that this is the case?

No offense, but I don't really understand what you're suggesting. 

What I mentioned is just one of the reasons I began to belief....it's just one thing I considered that started me down a path. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #519 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
The only reason people believe in an afterlife is because they fear death. Plain and simple.

I agree with this. Not just the fear of death but also the fear that this is all there is. When your done, there's nothing more. That's hard to take for many people.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #520 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
I agree with this. Not just the fear of death but also the fear that this is all there is. When your done, there's nothing more. That's hard to take for many people.

For me it's always been exactly the opposite.  If this life is all there is it makes it pretty simple to undertake.  Since we're basically cosmic trash we're virtually without genuine purpose and will eventually return to the cloud of expanding stardust that we originated from.  While here we can invent temporary purpose and live according to it, but it serves no greater end...it's barely fleeting.   There's a much greater responsibility in realizing there's far more ahead.  Belief in Christ comes with a price, with ridicule, with responsibility, with committment, with submission, with love, with compassion, with purpose.   This short life can be lived on your terms without God....it can be virtually whatever you choose it to be.    

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #521 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
For me it's always been exactly the opposite.  If this life is all there is it makes it pretty simple to undertake.  Since we're basically cosmic trash we're virtually without genuine purpose and will eventually return to the cloud of expanding cloud stardust that we originated.  While here we can invent temporary purpose and live according to it, but it serves no greater end...it's barely fleeting.   There's a much greater responsibility in realizing there's far more ahead.  Belief in Christ comes with a price, with ridicule, with responsibility, with committment, with submission, with love, with compassion, with purpose.   This short life can be lived on your terms without God....it can be virtually whatever you choose it to be.    

Life is good from my perspective. I hope mine continues for a couple more decades at least. -Not because I am afraid of it ending, but because I enjoy life and try to make it the best life I can every hour of every day that I am alive.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #522 on: November 14, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
Reasoned skepticism.

/end thread

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #523 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
Life is good from my perspective. I hope mine continues for a couple more decades at least. -Not because I am afraid of it ending, but because I enjoy life and try to make it the best life I can every hour of every day that I am alive.

I hope the same thing for you and for myself! 

In the meantime I pray for the opportunity to share Christ and what he's done in my life with some folks and maybe they too will come to experience him like I have.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #524 on: November 14, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
For me it's always been exactly the opposite.  If this life is all there is it makes it pretty simple to undertake.  Since we're basically cosmic trash we're virtually without genuine purpose and will eventually return to the cloud of expanding stardust that we originated from.  While here we can invent temporary purpose and live according to it, but it serves no greater end...it's barely fleeting.   There's a much greater responsibility in realizing there's far more ahead.  Belief in Christ comes with a price, with ridicule, with responsibility, with committment, with submission, with love, with compassion, with purpose.   This short life can be lived on your terms without God....it can be virtually whatever you choose it to be.    

I still have never received a clear answer on what the purpose of being here even if there is a God and an afterlife.

I'm going to create and entire universe/multiverse with just one planet with life so you can be born to give yourself to Jesus to go to the afterlife and be happy for ever  ???