Author Topic: What's the matter with this picture..  (Read 9223 times)

Simple Simon

Re: What's the matter with this picture..
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2015, 12:03:20 AM »
You seem like a confused and very lost fella. Let me ask. Do you handle your own personal finances the same way Obama has with our money?

How worse off financially are you due to Obamas policies?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:42 AM »
So, then why bill so much, if X is only allowable?  ::) ::) All seems like a scam to me.

When you go to Amazon.com, next to the products are prices.

That no one knows how much anything costs, in a hospital, tells you something is awry.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »
So, then why bill so much, if X is only allowable?  ::) ::) All seems like a scam to me.

Because all insurance companies pay differently

Let's say you do a biopsy, Medicare gives you 50 bucks, Medicaid 30, blue cross 60...  Every now and then insurance company will give 150.   So if your charge 50 bucks, you would lose 100 from insurance company x etc
So most charge 250% higher than Medicare just so you don't leave money on the table.

Yiur next EOB, look at it.  They charge 50,000 for procedure X, but the insurance pays 1500.

It gets fuzzy when u get a cash patient, so we lower the charge on them to what we get from the insurance.  So instead of charging 150, we charge 50. 

It's confusing I know , that's why Obama wants a single payer system. But docs hate it cause they will just keep lowering allowables and with no competition, you'd have to take what they pay, which would probably be worse than Medicaid rates
you are gay.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2015, 08:40:46 AM »
Because all insurance companies pay differently

Let's say you do a biopsy, Medicare gives you 50 bucks, Medicaid 30, blue cross 60...  Every now and then insurance company will give 150.   So if your charge 50 bucks, you would lose 100 from insurance company x etc
So most charge 250% higher than Medicare just so you don't leave money on the table.

Yiur next EOB, look at it.  They charge 50,000 for procedure X, but the insurance pays 1500.

It gets fuzzy when u get a cash patient, so we lower the charge on them to what we get from the insurance.  So instead of charging 150, we charge 50. 

It's confusing I know , that's why Obama wants a single payer system. But docs hate it cause they will just keep lowering allowables and with no competition, you'd have to take what they pay, which would probably be worse than Medicaid rates

I understand that, but when the difference between the same exact procedures is a $60,000 difference, there is an issue with legitimacy and consistency. Sure, some insurance companies may pay more than others, but charging an extra 60K is not going to get you anywhere near that, anyway. So why the HUGE difference? It just doesn't seem "kosher."
X

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Interesting, that, in the most Liberal city in the country, African-Americans are under-represented, both nationally and statewide.

Apparently, those liberal policies ain't too good for the brothas.

Race   Population   % of Total
Total Population   805,235   100
White   390,387   48
Asian   267,915   33
Hispanic or Latino   121,774   15
Some Other Race   53,021   6
Black or African American   48,870   6
Two or More Races   37,659   4
American Indian   4,024   Below 1%
Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander   3,359   Below 1%
Three or more races   3,343   Below 1%
Native Hawaiian   410   Below 1%

Go across the bridge to Oakland and the numbers get reversed
"

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
Ridiculous to think a gold hamburger wouldn't cost much more than $14

Not literally.
Maybe exaggerating a bit, but i think you get the idea.
©

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
When you go to Amazon.com, next to the products are prices.

That no one knows how much anything costs, in a hospital, tells you something is awry.

Exactly. Its like top secret information that no one is privy to, then one day, you get hit with a 100K bill for a few days in the hospital.

The medical industry is a scam. Plain and simple. Heck, I know doctors who tell me that its a scam and all screwed up.
X

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
Exactly. Its like top secret information that no one is privy to, then one day, you get hit with a 100K bill for a few days in the hospital.

The medical industry is a scam. Plain and simple. Heck, I know doctors who tell me that its a scam and all screwed up.

How the hell is it a scam?   When you get hurt, sick or have a heart attack, where you going to go if it's such a scam? 
you are gay.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Agree!

I really like the republican model of cutting taxes, that equals more jobs and more money for the common folk.  More money and they can get their own healthcare.

The dems are very illogical, they want minimal wage to be 15, why stop there?  Why not name it 1000 an hour?   Cause they have no idea how the economy works.

you mean the model that has never actually produced more jobs or more money for "common folk" and only created much less actual tax revenue

the latest example of that fraudulent plan would be Kansas

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »
you mean the model that has never actually produced more jobs or more money for "common folk" and only created much less actual tax revenue

the latest example of that fraudulent plan would be Kansas
Yeah, cause Obama's "hope and change" has been working wonders!   Lol
you are gay.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
1. Q: What is a health care surcharge?
A: Some San Francisco businesses have elected to impose a surcharge (i.e. an extra fee or cost) on the goods or services they sell to customers to cover, in whole or in part, the expense of complying with the Health Care Security Ordinance.

2. Q: Does the City of San Francisco require employers to impose surcharges? Or prohibit employers from doing so?
A: Neither. Employers impose such surcharges at their discretion. The City neither requires nor prohibits them.

3. Q. If an employer elects to impose such a surcharge, does the HCSO establish any standards or requirements?
A. Yes. A surcharge provision – along with several other changes – was added to the HCSO by the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor in 2011 and took effect on January 1, 2012.

4. Q. To whom does this provision apply?
A. The provision applies to any Covered Employer who “imposes a surcharge on its customers to cover in whole or in part the costs of the Health Care Expenditure requirement” of the HCSO.  The Health Care Expenditure requirement provides that Covered Employers must make Health Care Expenditures to or on behalf of their Covered Employees each quarter.

5. Q. What does the provision do?
A. The provision has two parts.

First, any covered employer who “imposes a surcharge on its customers to cover in whole or in part the costs of the Health Care xpenditure requirement” must report two pieces of information to the OLSE on an annual basis:

• the amount collected from the surcharge for Covered Employee health care, and
• the amount spent on Covered Employee health care.

Employers submit this information to OLSE on the HCSO Annual Reporting Form, which all Covered Employers are required to submit by April 30th of each year.

Second, if the amount collected from the surcharge is greater than the amount spent on Covered Employee’s health care, the employer must irrevocably spend or irrevocably designate the excess surcharges on health care for these Covered Employees.

6. Q. How does an employer “irrevocably” spend or irrevocably designate these funds for its covered employees?
A. Please see the description of Irrevocable Expenditures in Section F.

7. Q. Is there a deadline by which employers must irrevocably spend these funds for its Covered Employees?
A. Yes. The OLSE is providing employers with a full calendar year to irrevocably spend excess surcharges collected. Be aware that an employer must spend the excess surcharge funds in the following year in addition to spending any health care surcharge funds collected in that year.

For example, if an employer collected $50,000 in health care surcharges in 2012, but spent just $40,000 on Covered Employee health care during the year, the employer is required to spend the $10,000 difference on health care for Covered Employees (in addition to spending any health care surcharges collected in 2013) by December 31, 2013.

8. Q. Should my business stop collecting a health care surcharge?
A. It remains at the discretion of any business to decide whether to impose a health care surcharge or not. However, if your business collected excess health care surcharges in a particular year, you may want to consider reducing or eliminating your health care surcharge in the following year to help ensure that you can irrevocably spend the excess surcharges collected in the prior year.

9. Q. How will the OLSE determine whether my business satisfied the obligation to irrevocably spend excess surcharges for my Covered Employees in the following year?
A. The OLSE will make this determination based on the information your business provides on the Annual Reporting Form you submit to our office by April 30th of each year plus any supplemental information we may request.

10. Q. Are businesses supposed to charge sales tax on any such health surcharge? 
A: The OLSE does not enforce tax laws nor provide tax advice. However, on May 1, 2009, the State Board of Equalization issued a Special Notice (PDF) entitled “Sales Tax Applies to the San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance (SFHCSO) Surcharge.”

If you have further questions about the taxability of surcharges, please call the State Board of Equalization’s Taxpayer Information Section at (800) 400-7115.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
No offense, but that is really a nieve view on billing. 

When we bill, it doesn't matter if we charge 100 or 100,000.   It all depends on the allowable.  If an allowable on a biopsy is 50 bucks, yiu get 50 bucks.  Doesn't matter if the charge is a million, see?

Why are the charges so high?  Cause some insurances pay 110% of Medicare, so the biller doesn't leave money on the table. 

Also, if you looked into the charges (which are irrelevant) yiu would see that they charge 90,000 for a gallbladder but they really only get 1500 from the insurance company...

Just curious, what is your capacity the medical system. You've implied you are an insider with the pronoun "we".

naïve

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
So, then why bill so much, if X is only allowable?  ::) ::) All seems like a scam to me.

I've been through this medical billing nonsense for the last several years. From January to June, my wife's medical bills totaled $313,890.65 (assuming all the charges have been submitted by now). Regence Blue Cross Medicare Advantage insurance paid $44,041.31 Her copay/coinsurance was $4,000.63. The substantial difference was written off by the providers. By the way, these figures do not include the charges or copays for prescriptions which is another ball of wax.

Technically, folks with no medical insurance are billed for the (inflated) full amount of both medical services and prescription drugs. Of course, many of these folks can't afford to pay much, if anything at all. This loss is absorbed by the providers and written off. It affects future costs of medical services. Essentially, it is a vicious and ridiculous cycle.

You may not agree with Obamacare, but it does help level things off by requiring everyone to have medical insurance. Keep in mind the word "help" because Obamacare certainly does not fix our flawed medical system, which is among the worst of all first world or developed countries.

If you are without medical insurance and you have a mishap or illness that results in huge medical expenses, you have a few options. You can pay the bills. Regardless of how wealthy you are, you can negotiate a lower cost and payment options with providers. Many people when faced with unaffordable medical expenses, file bankruptcy. If you choose not to pay at all and you have assets, expect that they will be attached. People lose their homes because of medical bills they cannot pay. If you are in the top 1%, you may want to pay the full bill because the other options are just a nuisance. What is a few hundred thousand or a couple of million dollars to folks who are billionaires?

By the way, my wife's previous years' medical expenses were about the same amounts. The good news is that when you pay out between $8,000 and $13,000 in medical expenses, you get to claim it as a deduction, assuming you have enough other deductions to warrant filing Schedule A and your income doesn't disqualify you. Some deductions, like this one, are based on a percentage of your gross income.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2015, 11:32:36 PM »
"

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
Who pays $14 for a burger anyways?

I was in Iqaluit, Nunavut on a business trip years back where the hotel in town charged $20 for a cheeseburger.   Everything there was bloody expensive because it was in the middle of nowhere in the Arctic.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »
I was in Iqaluit, Nunavut on a business trip years back where the hotel in town charged $20 for a cheeseburger.   Everything there was bloody expensive because it was in the middle of nowhere in the Arctic.
That's totally different compared to San Fran though.