Author Topic: Vince Goodrum's "Fuck That Shit, I Got A Better Idea" Threads  (Read 228469 times)

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: Vince Goodrum's "Fuck That Shit, I Got A Better Idea" Threads
« Reply #1425 on: March 24, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Good. My driveway is wider and much longer. Even with several expansion joints, it's cracked. But it is also 40 years old and has a pretty steep slope. It has withstood a few minor earth quakes over the years. When neighbors have had new driveways installed, it is pretty clear from the demolition that rebar was not in the original builders plans. Lots of folks have gone with concrete pavers instead of a solid surface. That's good for water runoff, but not so good on the rare occasions when we get enough snow to need to shovel it off. Wonder what it cost to heat the driveway? This would definitely solve the snow shoveling problem.

Just like the foundations for a house you can get away without rebar if the concrete is deep enough, to be fair after 40 years even the best of driveways will be in need of replacement.

Is block paving not popular over there? I typically decline to quote for concrete driveways as block paving is only a moderate extra expense and the prep work is largely the same and is far easier and less costly to but right in the rare occasion a problem arises, but have noticed many driveways in USA still tend to be concrete?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1426 on: March 24, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »
Just like the foundations for a house you can get away without rebar if the concrete is deep enough, to be fair after 40 years even the best of driveways will be in need of replacement.

Is block paving not popular over there? I typically decline to quote for concrete driveways as block paving is only a moderate extra expense and the prep work is largely the same and is far easier and less costly to but right in the rare occasion a problem arises, but have noticed many driveways in USA still tend to be concrete?

We're slow to catch on.  :) In Germany, where my son lives, patios, walkways, parking strips and driveways are paved in concrete block. It the paving is really old, it might be brick or cobble stones, which apparently last forever.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #1427 on: March 24, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
We're slow to catch on.  :) In Germany, where my son lives, patios, walkways, parking strips and driveways are paved in concrete block. It the paving is really old, it might be brick or cobble stones, which apparently last forever.

A lot of older streets here were paved in cobblestone, unfortunately rather than take the time to lift and relay them a lot of councils simply laid tarmac over them, the cobblestones themselves along with the old granite kerbs do last forever and are incredibly hard being almost practically impossible to break.
Concrete block paving is really popular here also and is my main line of work, if it ever takes of over there would move over there in a heartbeat if it were possible

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1428 on: March 24, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
A lot of older streets here were paved in cobblestone, unfortunately rather than take the time to lift and relay them a lot of councils simply laid tarmac over them, the cobblestones themselves along with the old granite kerbs do last forever and are incredibly hard being almost practically impossible to break.
Concrete block paving is really popular here also and is my main line of work, if it ever takes of over there would move over there in a heartbeat if it were possible

I suspect it will be a longtime before we wise up and do construction right. Our newer homes have a very short life compared to those in Germany. The building materials most commonly used here in residential construction are largely not environmentally friendly, such as the preponderance of concrete driveways, etc.

My son lives in a small village in Bavaria. I'd move there in a flash if I didn't also have immediate family here. I would need to downside quite a bit, but my current home is too big for one person. Fortunately my daughter and son-in-law share it with me.

The cobblestone streets and sidewalks in Rothenburg are a bitch to navigate a wheelchair on. When my late wife and I were there, I nearly dumped her out of her wheelchair several times.     

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #1429 on: March 24, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »

Here's the crawl space if you're wondering.  Went under there to check things

nice vince how many steel beams? i think your in good shape u got the 6mil plastic looks like a well done prefab house, how much was it
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #1430 on: March 24, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
you may need a french drain if u get uneven erosion , its goood cardio
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #1431 on: March 24, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »
Why not 200 amp? That's code for my home. -Found this out when I had a new electrical panel installed because the original one was reputed to cause fires, although it had worked fine for 30 years.
200 amp is ideal i dont think theyd permit for 200 based on his  low square footage.... i could be wrong
A

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #1432 on: March 24, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
Vince why is the shutter the wrong size?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1433 on: March 24, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »
Vince why is the shutter the wrong size?

broke off in transport...being replaced
A

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #1434 on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »

broke off in transport...being replaced

Congrats dude. This is a very exciting time, I'm happy for you.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1435 on: March 24, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
Congrats dude. This is a very exciting time, I'm happy for you.

A very busy time, that's for sure.  Having to use my vacation time for this....lol.   But packing has actually been pretty quick.  A few more things and it will be ready for the movers.
A

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1436 on: March 24, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
Word of advice. If a neighbor suggests you need to wrap your above ground water pipes in insulation or electrical insulation, don't shrug it off.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #1437 on: March 24, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »

While the concrete is green do some saw cutting.

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #1438 on: March 25, 2018, 12:43:55 AM »

Living in such a forrest like environment is great. You got it made Vince.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #1439 on: March 25, 2018, 04:50:08 AM »
Word of advice. If a neighbor suggests you need to wrap your above ground water pipes in insulation or electrical insulation, don't shrug it off.
x2

lucky it seems he has easy access.... pex and copper busted alot this year i hope they didnt run to many horizontal waterlines between the studs the cold will get to em
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1440 on: March 25, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »
x2

lucky it seems he has easy access.... pex and copper busted alot this year i hope they didnt run to many horizontal waterlines between the studs the cold will get to em

Pipes are exposed because final inspection needs to be done.  But everything will be covered afterwards
A

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #1441 on: March 25, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
I'm proud of you Vince. You've got yourself a nice home there.

Plus, your threads tend to do very well here. Even if half the responses are insults, it still makes for good reading material. Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

Congrats!

"1"

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1442 on: March 25, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »
I thought you were going more off the grid. You got neighbors close enough to hear you fart.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #1443 on: March 25, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
I hope the neighbors aren't racist or homophobic. Aside from that should be a great time living there.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1444 on: March 25, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
I hope the neighbors aren't racist or homophobic. Aside from that should be a great time living there.

Its not the way it works out in the South.  You mind your own business and you're fine
A

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #1445 on: March 25, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »

Its not the way it works out in the South.  You mind your own business and you're fine

Are you fucking serious?  ??? I have neighbors and they are always asking me some shit.

1) doug, what did you do last night?
2) where'd you go last night?
3) you came home drunk the other night didn't you?
4)  damn, you have a long commute to work!
5) this is cold weather to us.
6) how can you wear t-shirts in 15 degree weather?
7) who was that woman you were with?

I get asked stupid shit like that by my southern neighbors all the time!!
D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1446 on: March 25, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
Are you fucking serious?  ??? I have neighbors and they are always asking me some shit.

1) doug, what did you do last night?
2) where'd you go last night?
3) you came home drunk the other night didn't you?
4)  damn, you have a long commute to work!
5) this is cold weather to us.
6) how can you wear t-shirts in 15 degree weather?
7) who was that woman you were with?

I get asked stupid shit like that by my southern neighbors all the time!!

Yea, but that's harmless....I just don't expect to come home to a cross burning on my lawn ;D
A

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #1447 on: March 25, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
I don't see the wheels, stolen already?

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #1448 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
VinceG in trailer park boys

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1449 on: March 25, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
I don't see the wheels, stolen already?

I loaned them to your dad so he could haul your mother around.  Make sure he returns them, would you sport???
A