Author Topic: WrestleMania Results & Discussion:  (Read 26800 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: WrestleMania Results & Discussion:
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »
In his farwell though Michaels said he wouldn't work for anyone else??? He could definitely be TNA bound. I really hope he doesn't do that.

Maybe you're wright.
I don't think he's old enough to join the TNA roster.
 ;)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:41 AM »

Maybe you're wright.
I don't think he's old enough to join the TNA roster.
 ;)
He is very busy with his church as he is a born again Christian and he is very serious about it. Aside from that he always said he wanted to spend more time with his family. I don't think he's going anywhere. Maybe the odd cameo in the WWE from time to time maybe as a guest host or ref but thats it. He has been in the WWE since 1988 and never once did he go anywhere.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WrestleMania 26 is currently the third highest grossing WrestleMania PPV in event history in terms of gate sales.
The total income for the PPV at the gate was $5.8 million.

WrestleMania 24 took in $5.85 million, and WrestleMania 25 took in $7.2 million.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »
TNA is still learning.
I think they maybe should have learned a little more before making the decision to go head-to-head with Titan.

I predict some major changes for WWE after this November.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
TNA is still learning.
I think they maybe should have learned a little more before making the decision to go head-to-head with Titan.

I predict some major changes for WWE after this November.

Like getting rid of that lame as fuck "PG" rating? ::)

I miss the Attitude era. :'(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
After the senate elections (whether Linda wins or loses) WWE won’t have to worry about preserving such a squeaky clean image.

At least, I hope that’s how it will work out.
I still maintain that Vince knows & remembers the formula that’s worked best for him.
If given the opportunity, I believe he will capitalize on it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
Don’t forget that the old man had to tone things way down after asshole Benoit’s incident.
That’s when the content started to cheese up & the wellness policy was put in place.
That was 2007.

Time has always been Vince’s greatest buffer.
He wanted to go edgier prior to the “Attitude Era,” but had to lay low due to the steroid & sex scandals of the early 90's.

It took about 3 more years before the birth of in-ring beer drinking and middle fingers.
And, it’s been almost that long since Benoit fukked things up.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 03:07:40 AM »
I hope so, but we need to remember that the late 90’s saw some exceptional talent who possessed the ability to pull it off – both writers and wrestlers.

Time will tell if this current crop can (or, will become able to) do it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 05:21:47 AM »
Don’t forget that the old man had to tone things way down after asshole Benoit’s incident.
That’s when the content started to cheese up & the wellness policy was put in place.
That was 2007.

He wanted to go edgier prior to the “Attitude Era,” but had to lay low due to the steroid & sex scandals of the early 90's.

It took about 3 more years before the birth of in-ring beer drinking and middle fingers.

Very true. Time heels everything. I just hope it happens sooner than later.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
That was 2007.

Why risk going "edgier" as this point? McMahon goes by the old adage, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

To put things in persepctive, in the 90s, only two Wrestlemanias were in football/baseball staduims: Wretlemania 6 (1990) and Wrestlemania 8 (1992).

In the 2000s, there have been six: WrestleManias 17, 18, 19, 23-25. If you count this past WrestleMnia and the fact that next year's event will be in the Georgia Dome, in Atlanta, that bumps up to EIGHT.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
MC:
I didn’t know you followed wrestling.
Welcome to the geek-board!

Vince isn’t doing the numbers he did during the “Attitude Era.”
He rode high on the simplistic “Hulkamania paradigm” from about 1984-91.
(WM III at the Silverdome set an indoor attendance record that still stands.)

Things began to progressively stale after that.
Shortly after that time, Vince saw what Todd Gordon & Paul Heyman were successfully doing with ECW.  
The old man was smart enough to realize that times (& his fans) were changing and wanted to take the Fed in a similar direction, but had to postpone those plans due to the sex scandals & Zahorian steroid trial.
Basically, he didn’t want his company to assume a hardcore, raunchy image with all the heat it had on it at the time.

Once the dust settled, Vince ushered out the clowns & plumbers, and modified what was left of his new roster - bringing in the swearing, lingerie matches, and in-ring beer drinking & middle fingers.
Ratings, popularity, and revenue went through the roof – higher than they’d been with even Hogan!    

Business was good...

Then on one warm July night in 2007, an Edmonton transplant living in Georgia murdered his wife & kid before hanging himself from a lat pulldown in his home gym.

Vince took a major beating from the media once again, and almost immediately abandoned the “Attitude” and implemented a strict drug Wellness Policy, drastically toning down everything including his ratings.

While WWE is still a money-making machine, it’s not doing the numbers it did 5 years ago.
Unless Vince’s ego and drive have diminished with age, I suspect he will want one last mega-run before handing over the business to Stephanie.
But to do that, he’ll have to revert back to the last formula that brought him to that dance.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
While WWE is still a money-making machine, it’s not doing the numbers it did 5 years ago.

yes. the Ultimate Warrior needs to do a run in and boost ratings. 8)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:59 AM »
yes. the Ultimate Warrior needs to do a run in and boost ratings. 8)
Nah...Warrior already made 6 million in his lawsuit back in 1996 against WWE to attain rights to his name.

Vince will not do anything that will give him scrutiny in the media especially when it comes down to drugs.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
I always laughed at how on the Ultimate Warrior DVD (a very negative DVD) they had to put HIS trademark on the bottom of the screen at the end because he owns the rights to the name..

he press slammed Vince in court.
Flower Boy Ran Away

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »
I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to do with my oWn t-shirt?  8)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »
hahaa the One Warrior Nation. I forgot about that
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
I always laughed at how on the Ultimate Warrior DVD (a very negative DVD) they had to put HIS trademark on the bottom of the screen at the end because he owns the rights to the name..

I really believe that DVD was more about proving a point than making money.

I’m sure Vince didn’t mind pocketing some dough, but more than that, I think he just wanted to prove that he’ll always be able to exercise some degree of power & ownership over his former talent – even the “Ultimate” one.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2010, 04:30:14 AM »
I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to do with my oWn t-shirt?  8)
Use it to check the oil on your car.  :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »

Did he? As I understand the suit was $6 million vs. Helwig getting the rights to the Ultimate Warrior name and character. Does that mean that McMahon simply gave him the rights to the name vs. coughing up the money?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2010, 12:19:22 PM »
Did he? As I understand the suit was $6 million vs. Helwig getting the rights to the Ultimate Warrior name and character. Does that mean that McMahon simply gave him the rights to the name vs. coughing up the money?
Warrior sued McMahon and was awarded his name AND 6 mill from a judge.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
Warrior sued McMahon and was awarded his name AND 6 mill from a judge.

I've never seen anything stating that. Every source I've read about it claims that Warrior simply won the rights to the name, not that he got the money.

And, he recently lost his lawsuit against WWE for making "The Self-Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior". WWE and Warrior, however, came to an agreement and waived the court costs that Warrior had to pay.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
It was stupid for Hellwig to try suing over that DVD.
Yet, I knew he would.
He may own the rights to the UW name & likeness, but Vince owns all the WWF footage that UW appears on.

The footage shot before Hellwig acquired the UW rights is property of Titan.
The stuff shot after Jim’s acquisition was done in contractual agreement with WWF.
Warrior’s paycheck for that work constitutes the financial compensation WWF paid to use the UW character – a licensing fee or lease, if you will.

Essentially, any footage of UW for which WWE reimbursed him is Vince’s property.
And unless there was some kind of contractual agreement regarding future use, Vince can do whatever he wants to with that footage without having to answer to Hellwig.

Jim can do whatever he wants with the UW persona.
But he can’t stop Vince from doing whatever he wants with the material he paid for years ago.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
true.

if you notice, WM6 stuff with warrior always pops up in video montages.

I am sure if Vince had to pay Warrior royalties each time it was shown, it would not have appeared.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
I suspect that the only way Hellwig could successfully sue Vince is if the old man did something “new” with the UW character – like giving someone else the gimmick (similar to what they did with Doink).
Then Jim could say, “Hey, you can’t do that. I own the sole rights to that gimmick, and you can’t use it.”

Vince can do as he pleases with the portion he already paid for.
The rest belongs to Jim.    
Unfortunately for Jim, the most valuable portion of the Ultimate Warrior belongs to WWE - and ironically, Hellwig can't touch that.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
the one thing I must say that I do admire about Jim is that he has basically said 'Fuck You' to Vince, owned him in court and basically didn't come crawling back like everyone else - at least after his career was done.

even Bret gave in eventually.

I was very surprised to see him in a WWE ring again. to be honest, I guess I lost a little respect for him.

after what Vince did to him, he never should have come back.

morals are important IMO.
Flower Boy Ran Away