Author Topic: Cheating is good for you!  (Read 1870 times)

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
Cheating is good for you!
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615008

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012 May 22.
Does cheating pay: the role of externally supplied momentum on muscular force in resistance exercise.
Arandjelović O.

Abstract
Our work investigates the use of "external momentum" in the context of hypertrophy-oriented training. This is momentum supplied to the load (such as a dumbbell) used in an exercise by means of action of muscles not inherently involved in the exercise. We challenge the general consensus that the use of such momentum often described as "cheating" is counterproductive. We focus on the use of external momentum in the shoulder lateral raise and adopt a framework whereby exercise execution is simulated on a computer. This is achieved using a physical model of motion which is combined with anthropomorphic measurements and empirical data of muscular recruitment from previous work. The introduction of moderate momentum (producing initial angular velocities around 57.5° s(-1)) increases the torque of the target muscles even without an increase in the load used. A moderate increase in the load and the use of momentum allows the torque to be increased even further. In contrast, excessive use of momentum results in lower demands on the target muscles, while an excessive increase of the load reduces the total hypertrophy stimulus by virtue of the decreased number of repetitions which can be performed successfully and thus the dramatically shortened time under tension. Our results disprove the conventional belief that the use of external momentum necessarily reduces the overload of the target muscles. A moderate use of external momentum increases both the per-repetition peak torque and the total hypertrophy stimulus in a set.

Anglo

• Getbig IV
Re: Cheating is good for you!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »
Arthur Jones already said this back in '70-71

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57:06 AM »
It seems every guy is training expert but they can't explain why they look like shit when they don't use drugs for 6 months. I also take exception with the gym resident expert that is a skinny kid with a couple of years training under his belt giving advice. The last expert is the 20 something guy or girl with a one week personal training certificate that now thinks they know everything about training. I would listen to a drug free in shape guy in his 50's who has trained his whole life than any of the above.

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Not the thread I was thinking about when I read the title >:(

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Not the thread I was thinking about when I read the title >:(

Yup, I thought I was gonna get to fuck the babysitter. Huge letdown.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Yup, I thought I was gonna get to fuck the babysitter. Huge letdown.

Yes,and it would be good for you!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »

That picture is begging to be chopped with Johnny J. and Branch

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »
It seems every guy is training expert but they can't explain why they look like shit when they don't use drugs for 6 months. I also take exception with the gym resident expert that is a skinny kid with a couple of years training under his belt giving advice. The last expert is the 20 something guy or girl with a one week personal training certificate that now thinks they know everything about training. I would listen to a drug free in shape guy in his 50's who has trained his whole life than any of the above.

Dementia has gotten to you, old-timer?

NN