Author Topic: How often do you train?  (Read 21505 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: How often do you train?
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
Day 1 - Chest/Bicep/Calves
Day 2 - Back/Rear delt/Triceps/abs

Day 3 - Front/side delt/Traps/Hamstrings/Calves
Day 4 - Quads/Abs

Repeat

*:30 min cardio 3 x per week

I train very fast, rest times usually no more than a :60.

I train very high volume supersetting the same bodyparts

No offense, but this seems like the most harebrained bro split imaginable.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »
6 days if schedule permits.

Sometimes gets screwed up due to work.
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Focus on reps of 4-6 and still do 4-5 sets. You'll get the feel of heavy weights but a bit more volume than you might otherwise get.

That was Bill Pearl's recommendation. Use 6 to 8 reps with 5 sets for an exercise. That way the weight isn't super light but you are still getting volume with 20 sets a body part. He said with high reps the weight is too light and the muscles get stringy. What ever stringy means. 

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
6 days if schedule permits.

Sometimes gets screwed up due to work.

What kind of workouts are you doing?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
What kind of workouts are you doing?

Right now I'm following the Soflete Stamina plan called Chimera.

https://train.soflete.com/teams/soflete-stamina/current-program

Chimera will focus heavily on building Power Endurance. Athletes can expect to maintain absolute strength, while building rotational and anti-rotational power in their trunks. If you want to be that bomber on your team who is not only the most powerful, but who can maintain that power for an extended period of time, Chimera is built for you.

The app is amazing - all exercises / cadence laid out on your phone, with instructional videos for each exercise, and the ability to track progress.
Y

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2017, 08:53:16 PM »

I disagree

not that bad

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »
Me. I used to train heavy, more for powerlifting/strongman but about a year and half ago went back to more bodybuilding-type training. Now it's mostly back to BB training. You get older, you've got to change. I'm even seeing more powerlifters switch. At some point it takes it's toll.

yep
the younger you learn this the better

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »

In what way?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »
In what way?

So how much did you bench again at a buck 81?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
So how much did you bench again at a buck 81?

535....what’s your point?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »
535....what’s your point?

Equipped or raw?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »
Equipped or raw?

There was no equipped back then.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »
There was no equipped back then.

You are all right chief, but i don't believe it

Bet you think turd woods could press 4 bills lol

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
That was Bill Pearl's recommendation. Use 6 to 8 reps with 5 sets for an exercise. That way the weight isn't super light but you are still getting volume with 20 sets a body part. He said with high reps the weight is too light and the muscles get stringy. What ever stringy means. 
not dense or thick looking,,imagine contest look,dry/ shredded but flat looking no fullness to it,,back in his day they did not get shredded compared to 80/90/today,so even if your leanish and training hi volume hi reps you possibly could get 'stringy'again food as well comes in play are eating enough/recovery  ..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
You are all right chief, but i don't believe it

Bet you think turd woods could press 4 bills lol

You're in no position to believe or not believe it. "Turd' Woods has no reason to 1RM anything.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
You're in no position to believe or not believe it. "Turd' Woods has no reason to 1RM anything.

He claims that he pressed 300

BAHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHHHAAAAA A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Bench pressed?   Why wouldn't you believe that.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »

Weighing 165lbs Im sure 300lbs seems like an unthinkable feat of strength for you.  300lb really nothing big.   

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
i plan to start training soon... i figure twice a week full body would be good

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
3 days for weight training  I super set - chest/back - Arms/shoulders - legs only
3 days for cardio only

2-3 hours of  fucking per week if lucky

K

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Lately, not much, got a major sinus infection from the fires a few weeks ago, and ok I wiil admit some smoking, which Ive stopped now. Typically though, every 3 to 4 days, when I was competing up to 3 times a week, sometimes 4, with cardio thrown in. I was doing cycles for that though, training naturally, it takes me 3 to 4 days to fully recover. Do a modified HD workout, have Nautilus and some free weights iin my garage gym. Going to try and increase frequency when the last of this infection clears out and get to 3 times every 10 days- made my best gains on that. 57, and not competing now so its enough. If they had a mastes classic division that does'nt require the massive juicing  to be competitive, that the open and Masters NPC shows do, that might be fun, maybe. Going to start walking again, I enjoy getting out and burning a few extra calories and getting some fresh air.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Day 1 - Chest/Bicep/Calves
Day 2 - Back/Rear delt/Triceps/abs

Day 3 - Front/side delt/Traps/Hamstrings/Calves
Day 4 - Quads/Abs

Repeat

*:30 min cardio 3 x per week

I train very fast, rest times usually no more than a :60.

I train very high volume supersetting the same bodyparts

Your routine looks great. I particularly like that you only train 4 days a week. I'm considering giving your routine a try which is why I'm asking you for more details. The routine I've been following for quite awhile requires hitting the gym 6 days a week, but limiting the training period to not more than an hour and preferably 45 minutes. I don't include cardio in that time frame, so it adds another 20 to 30 minutes to the routine time.

Do you vary the exercises for each muscle group? How many different ways to you hit your quads, chest, biceps and triceps, etc. You mention that you train fast with little rest between sets. Do you ever get winded or need a longer rest time when exercising large muscles using heavier resistance, such as when doing squats for quads? Do you feel like you don't get enough cardio by moving swiftly through your routine? What kinds of exercises/equipment do you do strictly for cardio? When you add in cardio is it on the same day that you are lifting and do you do it before or after the rest of your routine?

I also shoot for minimal rest times between sets. I sometimes get the rest period down to 30 seconds on smaller muscle groups. If I go full blast like this, I'll occasionally count that as sufficient for cardio. One cardio exercise that really puts a burn on my quads is the lateral Helix machine, specially when doing it in a half squat position. Even a minute doing laterals this way makes my quads feel like they are on fire.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2017, 04:32:49 PM »
Me. I used to train heavy, more for powerlifting/strongman but about a year and half ago went back to more bodybuilding-type training. Now it's mostly back to BB training. You get older, you've got to change. I'm even seeing more powerlifters switch. At some point it takes it's toll.

I'm not training heavy and have not for several years. Although I know guys who remain really strong well into their 70's, I find that my strength has diminished and osteoarthritis take a toll too since it fucks up my grip. My friend Earl was still entering strength competitions and winning in his early 70's. Of course there is not much competition in that age class, so a win is more likely.

Have you also dropped weight? I was hovering around 200 lbs for years until I made a point of sliming down to the 175 range. My top weight in my early 30's was 225 lbs. I was big, but I felt like shit.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Your routine looks great. I particularly like that you only train 4 days a week. I'm considering giving your routine a try which is why I'm asking you for more details. The routine I've been following for quite awhile requires hitting the gym 6 days a week, but limiting the training period to not more than an hour and preferably 45 minutes. I don't include cardio in that time frame, so it adds another 20 to 30 minutes to the routine time.

Do you vary the exercises for each muscle group? How many different ways to you hit your quads, chest, biceps and triceps, etc. You mention that you train fast with little rest between sets. Do you ever get winded or need a longer rest time when exercising large muscles using heavier resistance, such as when doing squats for quads? Do you feel like you don't get enough cardio by moving swiftly through your routine? What kinds of exercises/equipment do you do strictly for cardio? When you add in cardio is it on the same day that you are lifting and do you do it before or after the rest of your routine?

I also shoot for minimal rest times between sets. I sometimes get the rest period down to 30 seconds on smaller muscle groups. If I go full blast like this, I'll occasionally count that as sufficient for cardio. One cardio exercise that really puts a burn on my quads is the lateral Helix machine, specially when doing it in a half squat position. Even a minute doing laterals this way makes my quads feel like they are on fire.

looks like 4 days in a row and then repeat

Only issue I see is training front delts the day after training triceps.  If he's not doing presses for front delts then no big deal. Then again, same issue trying to work back the day after training biceps.

Of course the only split that matters is the one you'll actually stick with

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2017, 04:37:32 PM »
Every single day 2 or 3 times per day

Have already trainied twice today and it's only 3 pm

That doesn't allow for much rest. Muscles grow during recovery periods. That constant assault on your muscles is really counterproductive. Don't be fooled by getting a good pump. Yeah your arms might look terrific when they are pumped, but that pump is not a permanent gain.