Author Topic: Is German a hard language to learn?  (Read 7556 times)

closeline

• Getbig IV
Re: Is German a hard language to learn?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
german is way harder to learn than most other languages... way too hard for it to ever be used globally.

good for americnas that german was just a few votes short ob becoming the official language in the USA

btw immigrants from germany were the biggest part of immigrants to america

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Balloon, I am an American, and I have recently hired a private tutor for German. I actually have my third lesson Tuesday. I am supplementing this with an Istart app, and YouTube vids and movies on Netflix. I really don't know shit yet, but am hoping to be able to somewhat converse with people when I go back next Christmas. I would say if you have extra money laying around, get a tutor. It is $50 and hour for me and my wife, and she comes to my house. She's not a native speaker, which was kind of a letdown but there are not many that I could find, but she lived in Germany for a few years and taught English at the university level there as well as teaches College German here now. I also posed this question a while back, and asked about German forums where you could read and pick up the language, which DKII pm'ed me. I figure that's what a lot of people do, like all of the paki gimmicks on here. It's easy to pick up slang on a place like this as opposed to speaking like you're writing a letter. Good luck.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:40 AM »
Because English is the present world language (because of America) and is difficult to not come across it is easy to forget just what a difficult and complicated language it would be to some one who never heard any thing of it before starting to learn it. Some of its spelling is all over the place, pronounciation of many words is arbitary and oblivious of the given alphabet sounds and its grammer rules are sometime obtuce and pedantic and beyond many native speakers. Although ofteh presented as an advantage native english speakers are disadvantaged by never having to learn other languages and therefore thing in different ways
c

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »
Irongrip400 - try this website

http://www.deutschseite.de/index.html

It was all put together by a German guy who was trying to help his (I think) Filipino girlfriend with the language. Outstanding resource to help back up what you're doing with your tutor.

BBC - yes - as Donny says - lots of German tv but all of the main tv series and movies from the US are dubbed. It's one of the very few things I really can't stand about living here. I hate it. Get into arguments about it all the time.

Funnily enough, my business English students have all said they prefer presenting in English to German because it's less complicated. That says a lot I think.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 06:45:24 AM »
I have got used to watching German tv..i only have cable tv so apart from BBC world and CNN it´s all German.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »
Irongrip400 - try this website

http://www.deutschseite.de/index.html

It was all put together by a German guy who was trying to help his (I think) Filipino girlfriend with the language. Outstanding resource to help back up what you're doing with your tutor.

BBC - yes - as Donny says - lots of German tv but all of the main tv series and movies from the US are dubbed. It's one of the very few things I really can't stand about living here. I hate it. Get into arguments about it all the time.

Funnily enough, my business English students have all said they prefer presenting in English to German because it's less complicated. That says a lot I think.

From what my tutor tells me, there is a language council set up by the government, and she was saying that they are/were trying to delete some words like Frauline and letters like the scharfes s. I may be misspeaking as this was not actually part of the lesson, just something she was saying in passing. Thanks for the website, I need all the help I can get. I actually have Bluetooth and have the apps playing while driving. Trying to "immerse" myself.  

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
sprechen sie deutsch? why bother don't they have machines where you speak your native language in and out comes perfect germen er a deutsch which is german for some dumb reason. wolf is the same in both languages.all you need to know is where is the toilet and give me food. ;D ;D ;D
F

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
For a native english speaker, what are the tough aspects of learning German?

A lot of the words are similar to english words but the pronunciation and grammar seem tough.

It's not that hard, I can speak a little German.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »
Die Deutsche sprache:

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
It's not that hard, I can speak a little German.
i like when a German girl talks dirty..

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
Japanese is probably the hardest to learn.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
Don't know how to embed this but this lady shows how easy it is to translate into any language..

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Very guttural language!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »