Author Topic: The theory and belief  (Read 11974 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: The theory and belief
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »
"Act only on that maxim through which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."  -Emmanuel Kant

Ever read one of his books?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
Ever read one of his books?
yes ive skimmed through a few of them. right now in class we are dicsussing Hume, in two weeks we are moving to Kant.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
The simple Buddhist formula is “That is, so this arises. That is not, so this falls away.” Such a simple thing as a flower, for instance is the sum total of all the causes and conditions which comprise it: sun, air, soil, water, nutrients, pollination by insects, the seed that came from a flower, that came from a seed that came from the unbroken line of life back to the first simple cells. Take away one of these and there is no flower. (There is a story that once the Buddha came to give a lecture to an assembly of monks and held up a flower in silence. Of all the monks, only Mahakashyapa smiled his understanding. Perhaps he was, at least in part, acknowledging this chain of being.)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
The simple Buddhist formula is “That is, so this arises. That is not, so this falls away.” Such a simple thing as a flower, for instance is the sum total of all the causes and conditions which comprise it: sun, air, soil, water, nutrients, pollination by insects, the seed that came from a flower, that came from a seed that came from the unbroken line of life back to the first simple cells. Take away one of these and there is no flower. (There is a story that once the Buddha came to give a lecture to an assembly of monks and held up a flower in silence. Of all the monks, only Mahakashyapa smiled his understanding. Perhaps he was, at least in part, acknowledging this chain of being.)

maybe he just liked the flower ?  ;D
175lbs by 31st July

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
kyomy you really dont get affected emotionally in any way about what people say and do about you? if thats so you re on a good path, its not so easily done, very hard to get there.

i call bullshit kyomy, you get offended easily when someone is placing a negative remark about your phisique.
Yes offended of course.
But its feeling of instant moment.
I dont prohibit my feeling at all. Since I dont try to be anyone.
Just i dont persist in the feeling.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
yes ive skimmed through a few of them. right now in class we are dicsussing Hume, in two weeks we are moving to Kant.

Try reading The Critique of Pure Reason by Kant. It will make your brain hurt.  :-[
X

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »
Try reading The Critique of Pure Reason by Kant. It will make your brain hurt.  :-[

Yes, I read that one too. Great way to feel completely inferior. ;D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

That is probably the toughest philosophy book to read, minus anything by Martin Heidegger.
X

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
That is probably the toughest philosophy book to read, minus anything by Martin Heidegger.

Heidegger is just crazy, it's like he invented a new language. Can't imagine how he is translated at all into English.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »

I have a suspicion this quality is a warning it may be mostly bullshit. No one probably knows what it's about.  :D Someone with serious phil studies behind him told me, "no one understands it".  :D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
I have a suspicion this quality is a warning it may be mostly bullshit. No one probably knows what it's about.  :D Someone with serious phil studies behind him told me, "no one understands it".  :D

That's not true at all. The first chapters are not too hard to read if you have some practice in reading philosophy. You will probably not understand everything though, at least I sure didn't.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »
That's not true at all. The first chapters are not too hard to read if you have some practice in reading philosophy. You will probably not understand everything though, at least I sure didn't.
Philosophy is tough to read you have to slow down and assimilate each sentence, but rewarding if you can be patient enough.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
this thread is turning into very nice.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
Philosophy is tough to read you have to slow down and assimilate each sentence, but rewarding if you can be patient enough.

Yeah and the interesting part is that the more you read, the more you understand, even without a teacher.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
I'm more of a Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Watts, Manly Palmer Hall kinda guy. Seems my most passionate study is transpersonal psychology. I love to do the exercises, experimenting with what being a human is capable of.
~

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
this thread is turning into very nice.

yes we like it long time  ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
I'm more of a Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Watts, Manly Palmer Hall kinda guy. Seems my most passionate study is transpersonal psychology. I love to do the exercises, experimenting with what being a human is capable of.

Alan Watts is great, lately I also prefer the teachings of people who say more with less and simpler words.