Author Topic: Squat Setup  (Read 1977 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Squat Setup
« on: November 10, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
Does anyone have a link, similar to the Bench Press Setup sticky above, that explains the squat setup and best ways to warm up for a max attempt? Every now and again I like to look over these things to see if Im missing one part or another from my form.

Recently I felt very tight and my low back was tiring fast due to my form. Not sure what it was but just couldnt get it right. I had to lean really far forward to keep from feeling like I was going to fall backwards. Thats not normal for me.

Any ideas?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Squat Setup
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
squat squat squat then squat some more. Practice makes perfect. Do it for yourself, everyone else will only confuse you.
sept 10th APF

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
squat squat squat then squat some more. Practice makes perfect. Do it for yourself, everyone else will only confuse you.

I just dont do conventional squats often. I use front squats, box squats, and good mornings mostly. Aside from 10 different variations of DLs.

Any ideas about that tightness? I was doing a full GM into a squat. Just aint right. Squat has never been real fun for me and frankly its not all that important in strongman but I still like squatting now and again.

Thanks!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »
I have a great document about it, but it's non-English.

A couple of pointers:

Bar high
Grip bar with a false grip (less tension on elbows)
Grip narrow to create a tightness
Flex abdomen, the whole body
Stand straight up with the weight in the rack, wait for blink of a second, until the bar don't have momentum
Chest high
Take strides back, get into a semiwide stance, outside shoulder width.
Do not look down on foot placement at any time
Start the motion down slowly the first few inches, then rapidly increase the speed

At all times, chest high

This would be useful in a USAPL/USPF type of federation, with single ply.

In other federations, other techniques may be optimal.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:36:40 AM »
Thanks Hedge! I like to have those reminders so that I can be sure nothings missing from my form. Sometimes you just forget a piece, especially if you dont do it often. Thats why people take vids of themselves. The number one thing I forget is Chest OUT! Stupid but I catch myself hunching over from time to time.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:46:28 AM »
I have to really focus on foot position and always check myself..i've recently discovered that I've been keeping my right foot about an inch or two farther back than my left and I'm positive this has something to do with why my right lower back always feels slightly pulled after squatting. It FELT good but when I looked at it... my stance needs work. I have to work on getting my feet the same width apart and have them parallel to each other instead. other than that..squat squat squat!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:55:57 PM »
I have a great document about it, but it's non-English.

A couple of pointers:

Bar high
Grip bar with a false grip (less tension on elbows)
Grip narrow to create a tightness
Flex abdomen, the whole body
Stand straight up with the weight in the rack, wait for blink of a second, until the bar don't have momentum
Chest high
Take strides back, get into a semiwide stance, outside shoulder width.
Do not look down on foot placement at any time
Start the motion down slowly the first few inches, then rapidly increase the speed

At all times, chest high

This would be useful in a USAPL/USPF type of federation, with single ply.

In other federations, other techniques may be optimal.

Interesting the part on not looking down at foot placement.  I have a tendency to do this at times and need to stop cause I have been tweeking my mid back when stepping back and setting up my squats lately.  I was thinking the look down might be part of the problem, this further confirms it.  Is there a safe way to tell if your feet are pretty even, does it even matter that much?  Sometimes also I take 2 steps back and think I should always just do one?

Any other pointers about walking back the squat and setting up would be welcome.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:45:56 AM »
Interesting the part on not looking down at foot placement.  I have a tendency to do this at times and need to stop cause I have been tweeking my mid back when stepping back and setting up my squats lately.  I was thinking the look down might be part of the problem, this further confirms it.  Is there a safe way to tell if your feet are pretty even, does it even matter that much?  Sometimes also I take 2 steps back and think I should always just do one?

Any other pointers about walking back the squat and setting up would be welcome.

The way I train, is that I don't look at foot placement. Ever.

I just stopped, the day I read that article. It was tough at first. But then I got the hang of it. And was able to stay more erect.
As empty as paradise