Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 383868 times)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »
What is life like in Sweden? "The politicians are participating in a chicken race of “goodness” where everybody tries to one-up each other in caring for the citizens of OTHER countries while Swedish retirees, school children, handicapped and other vulnerable categories of people are thorougly ignored."

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2015, 06:03:15 AM »
Cool slice of Americana
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »
Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media (1992) is a documentary film that explores the political life and ideas of Noam Chomsky, a linguist, intellectual, and political activist. Created by two Canadian filmmakers, Mark Achbar and Peter Wintonick, it expands on the ideas of Chomsky's earlier book, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, which he co-wrote with Edward S. Herman.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2015, 04:50:03 AM »
Here is a great documentary about Lust. Should give you some insight about the differences in males and females.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »
Very good, but short documentary on Ny's black out of '77, and the role urban decay caused in making it so much worse -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/blackout/player/ .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
Pretty decent documentary on El Chapo and the power he wields in Mexico -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/drug-lord/ .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
Interesting short documentary on Compstat policing, and the subsequent troubles that come with it both for citizens and police-

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13208004 .

Interesting that ESPN would have a hand in the film. If you like to know more, The Village Voice did a whole series of articles on Ny's troubles with it a few years back, just google search the topic.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Leonard Cohen commented from the Mt Baldy Zen Center, his home at that time: The monks up here think it's pretty good. Roshi said to her: "You great artist"

The film describes the daily routines of the Zen monks at the Zen Center of Mt. Baldy: waking up early (2:30 or 3:00 am), marching together to the ceremonies, meditating, making food and eating. We see Cohen working in the kitchen and helping his dear friend and teacher Joshu Sasaki Roshi (90 years at the time of shooting); later he drives with Roshi to another Zen Center (Rinzai Ji) in Los Angeles.

Cohen's cabin with his Technics KN 3000 synthesizer and computers are shown, and he sings his new song A thousand kisses deep. He also recites three unpublished poems, two telling about Roshi (one titled Roshi at 89) . The third was titled Too old.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/brusq.html

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »
Some good ones here and my favorite narrator Will Lyman ;)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
Leonard Cohen commented from the Mt Baldy Zen Center, his home at that time: The monks up here think it's pretty good. Roshi said to her: "You great artist"

The film describes the daily routines of the Zen monks at the Zen Center of Mt. Baldy: waking up early (2:30 or 3:00 am), marching together to the ceremonies, meditating, making food and eating. We see Cohen working in the kitchen and helping his dear friend and teacher Joshu Sasaki Roshi (90 years at the time of shooting); later he drives with Roshi to another Zen Center (Rinzai Ji) in Los Angeles.

Cohen's cabin with his Technics KN 3000 synthesizer and computers are shown, and he sings his new song A thousand kisses deep. He also recites three unpublished poems, two telling about Roshi (one titled Roshi at 89) . The third was titled Too old.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/brusq.html

Baldy's just down the road from here.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
Baldy's just down the road from here.

You're blessed, my surrounding is pancake flat.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
You're blessed, my surrounding is pancake flat.

You mentioned that before, sucks. How far is the nearest range?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »
You mentioned that before, sucks. How far is the nearest range?

About 80 miles for some hills and 130 for some baby mountains :-\

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
About 80 miles for some hills and 130 for some baby mountains :-\

Is it mostly farmland, woods, concrete? Holland, right?

Unfamiliar with the geography, I just know my gal loved Amsterdam. Got me a tee from Bulldog Pub or something.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:32 AM »
Is it mostly farmland, woods, concrete? Holland, right?

Unfamiliar with the geography, I just know my gal loved Amsterdam. Got me a tee from Bulldog Pub or something.

LOL, yeah a lot of concrete, lots of traffic and a few serious woods, just way too many people per square mile :-\
I guess you mean the Bulldog 'coffee' shop, tourists love that place for a good reason ;D
http://www.thebulldog.com/

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers (2006)- The New York Times called it “a horrifying catalog of greed, corruption and incompetence among private contractors in Iraq... [the film is] extremely effective.”

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
LOL, yeah a lot of concrete, lots of traffic and a few serious woods, just way too many people per square mile :-\
I guess you mean the Bulldog 'coffee' shop, tourists love that place for a good reason ;D
http://www.thebulldog.com/

Yeah, guess that's it, but I don't see my shirt on their site. It's a weed cafe, then?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
Yeah, guess that's it, but I don't see my shirt on their site. It's a weed cafe, then?

Yes, but we call them coffee shops, since they aren't allowed to serve alcohol like cafes. It's the marijuana that separates them from coffeehouses.

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2015, 01:18:28 PM »
A documentary covering the events of the morning of September 11 2001 from the tapes released from NEADS and the FAA.

All original re-recordings can be downloaded from 911datasets.org.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
"Joe McForty" - Joe McDougall spends his 40th birthday completing a 3-part, 62-mile endurance test

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2015, 11:21:47 AM »
Some good ones I've seen lately:

The Jinx - The Robert Durst murders, extremely fascinating and just goes to show you that if you have enough money, you can do whatever the fuck you want, even kill people, chop up their bodies, claim self defense, and dump them in the ocean and get away with it.

Merchants of Doubt - an excellent look into the disinformation tactics of big tobacco, fossil fuel companies, and climate change deniers.  Really opens your eyes to how much bullshit is being spewed to the public.

That Sugar Film - an Australian guy, after being completely off sugar intake in his diet for 2 years, goes on a 60 day diet taking in the average daily consumption of sugar like most other Australians.  He goes from being in the top 10% of healthy males of his age, to the bottom 20% in 2 months, becomes pre-diabetic and develops fatty liver disease, all by eating so called low fat "health foods".

Montage of Heck - an intimate look into the life of Kurt Cobain and his girl of a wife Courtney, lots of home movies and personal recordings of Kurt.

Soaked in Bleach - a look into the murder of Kurt Cobain and the allegations of the PI that was hired by his wife that she had him killed.  Not sure what to think about it, but it was interesting nonetheless.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Some good ones I've seen lately:

The Jinx - The Robert Durst murders, extremely fascinating and just goes to show you that if you have enough money, you can do whatever the fuck you want, even kill people, chop up their bodies, claim self defense, and dump them in the ocean and get away with it.

Merchants of Doubt - an excellent look into the disinformation tactics of big tobacco, fossil fuel companies, and climate change deniers.  Really opens your eyes to how much bullshit is being spewed to the public.

That Sugar Film - an Australian guy, after being completely off sugar intake in his diet for 2 years, goes on a 60 day diet taking in the average daily consumption of sugar like most other Australians.  He goes from being in the top 10% of healthy males of his age, to the bottom 20% in 2 months, becomes pre-diabetic and develops fatty liver disease, all by eating so called low fat "health foods".

Montage of Heck - an intimate look into the life of Kurt Cobain and his girl of a wife Courtney, lots of home movies and personal recordings of Kurt.

Soaked in Bleach - a look into the murder of Kurt Cobain and the allegations of the PI that was hired by his wife that she had him killed.  Not sure what to think about it, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Where did you see this, looks interesting?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

It was on HBO, but you can find it on any Torrent site or newsgroups, it was a 6 part doco.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »

There are 3 that were on youtube.

Daily Motion seems to have all of them -

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x40cik_billyjones2k14_the-jinx-the-life-and-deaths-of-robert-durst/1#video=x2xz5fs .

Watch them quick, as all of the easy streaming sites have been pulling tons of stuff the last few months.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »
I also recently watched "Paradise Lost: Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills"  which was a doc done by HBO at the time of the trial of the infamous Memphis 3.  A great follow up after watching that is "West of Memphis" was done in 2012 recapping the entire story of the 3 and their exoneration.  It was a really fucked up trial, how they got convicted on the evidence laid out is mind boggling if you aren't from that part of the country, but quite unsurprising if you are.