Author Topic: Reps with a certain weight, or A certain reps with dwindeling weight?  (Read 2337 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Hello. A: Do you have certain rep range that you always meet and in order to do so you have to lower the weight the last sets. Or: do you keep the same wight and lower the reps some at last sets?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Reps with a certain weight, or A certain reps with dwindeling weight?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
both a and b

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »
Whatever my program calls for that day, is the reps I go with. I usually get pretty close to whatever my previous was, so I'm able to be within 5-10lbs of that.
So if I'm going for 10 reps with the 105lb DB's on the incline press, I will usually start with the 105's and do as many sets as I can with them. I'll usually get all my sets (4-5) with the same weight. I do not lower the weight, ever unless it's drop sets or similar. Reason, is similar to Charles Poliquins thoughts, that you never lower the weight unless you can't get within a certain % of your goal. So if I'm only getting 8 reps instead of ten, I'll still use the weight, but if I make seven on the 3-4 set, I'll will stop the exercise and move on in the routine.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
both a and b

the options are not compatible. you failed miserable at answering a simple question.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »
I always go by feel....conforming to certain # of reps is kinda pointless.  All of my exercises have reps ranges from 30 down to 3 and everywhere in between.  Some days I can blast a heavy weight for 8 and another day for only 5.  I seems the magic number for reps tends to be 12, but I don't believe that's necessarily true.  If you can lift something for 12 reps you can go heavier....form is relative.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
C: CRACK UP THE FUCKING TUNES, PULL MY WANKER, GET JACKED UP, ADD MORE PLATES AND POUND OUT THE LAST SET OH YEAHHHHH!!!!!

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
Whatever my program calls for that day, is the reps I go with. I usually get pretty close to whatever my previous was, so I'm able to be within 5-10lbs of that.
So if I'm going for 10 reps with the 105lb DB's on the incline press, I will usually start with the 105's and do as many sets as I can with them. I'll usually get all my sets (4-5) with the same weight. I do not lower the weight, ever unless it's drop sets or similar. Reason, is similar to Charles Poliquins thoughts, that you never lower the weight unless you can't get within a certain % of your goal. So if I'm only getting 8 reps instead of ten, I'll still use the weight, but if I make seven on the 3-4 set, I'll will stop the exercise and move on in the routine.

So once you don't meet rep range you move on? But what if your trying to push yourself to handle more weight, your calories are barely enough, and so forth?

Alex23

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »
It's all about the range Baby.... different ranges activate different fibers types... bodybuilding 101 shit...

Find out what type of fibers your different groups are composed of (not everyone is the same obviously) and you will find what range you should perform... if you're all slow twitch, you obviously won't do well with heavy and low reps.

HOWEVER, there's something called "satellite cells" or "can go both ways" (no homo) who will "morph" based on the current "need".... these are usually more easily adaptable by doing very heavy low reps not so much when "jogging".....

Alex23

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
C: CRACK UP THE FUCKING TUNES, PULL MY WANKER, GET JACKED UP, ADD MORE PLATES AND POUND OUT THE LAST SET OH YEAHHHHH!!!!!

Shit, I know why you won't post a pic... ::)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
Hello. A: Do you have certain rep range that you always meet and in order to do so you have to lower the weight the last sets. Or: do you keep the same wight and lower the reps some at last sets?

ive been staring at this question for 5 minutes and still dont know what the fuck youre asking

keep fucking with me.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
It's all about the range Baby.... different ranges activate different fibers types... bodybuilding 101 shit...

Find out what type of fibers your different groups are composed of (not everyone is the same obviously) and you will find what range you should perform... if you're all slow twitch, you obviously won't do well with heavy and low reps.

HOWEVER, there's something called "satellite cells" or "can go both ways" (no homo) who will "morph" based on the current "need".... these are usually more easily adaptable by doing very heavy low reps and "jogging".....

Interesting I wonder if there is a test one can do to find out ones type of twitching muscle fibers

Stavios

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »

HOWEVER, there's something called "satellite cells" or "can go both ways" (no homo) who will "morph" based on the current "need".... these are usually more easily adaptable by doing very heavy low reps and "jogging".....

hahaha you are killing me bro  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
the options are not compatible. you failed miserable at answering a simple question.

Not if you're recovering enough - taking a longer rest or supersetting another muscle group.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

u can just keep the same weight and lower the reps if you want to master that weight

i think we've all reached our genetic potentials as far as muscle gayning

i think bodybuildiing is a dead end for the most part and only useful for purposes of keeping what you got
A

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
am a tryin' to stey in da ate ta tenn rep ringe yip yip
tank u jesus

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
So once you don't meet rep range you move on? But what if your trying to push yourself to handle more weight, your calories are barely enough, and so forth?

Correct. CP wrote an article on it in his book. I read it and actually tried the method out. So if I'm doing 4 exercises, and on the second exercise I missed the goal of Set #3 (of four sets) at 6 reps when I was going for 10, then I would move to exercise number 3. The next week you come back you can usually get the same weight, if not heavier, than you did the last week.
I've done  it many times, and though it sounds odd, it works. And prevents your body from the overtraining and/or frying your recovery abilities.

Alex23

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
Interesting I wonder if there is a test one can do to find out ones type of twitching muscle fibers

Absolutely.

First, find the single rep max for each bodypart with an isolation exercise.

Next reduce the weight to ~85% of the max and do a set to positive failure with reasonable form.

The more reps you can do at 85% the more predominantly type-1 slow twitch fiber you are...

let's say you can do 20 reps @ 85%, chances are you're mostly slow twitch...

Now if you can only do 8 or 9 reps, chances are your are very dense in type II's.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
Shit, I know why you won't post a pic... ::)

Are you still searching for crack off material (yes homo)?

Alex23

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
Are you still searching for crack off material (yes homo)?

I get plenty from FlexingForMeHisSteeleRod ...

Just curious to see if you walk the walk or just all talk and otomix shoes.

You said you're in San Diego, I think I might know who you are ;D...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

solid post

however

when you reach failure, your activating all the fibers, regardless of rep range or comparable density of fast twitch/slow twitch

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
solid post

however

when you reach failure, your activating all the fibers, regardless of rep range or comparable density of fast twitch/slow twitch

wats your point you can reach muscular failure digging a hole for a mail box

A

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »

I think if you are digging mailbox holes you have automatically failed at life.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
actually the only 100% guaranteed way to find out what fiber type u are is to get a muscle biopsy done, but thats far too expensive and far too painful to do for your purposes.

just do what alex said.

or better yet, just train bro, do what feels right and when u start growing, that means your onto something. keep doing whatever that is!

good luck

"flexingtonschmoeel"

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
I think if you are digging mailbox holes you have automatically failed at life.

lol all it is is like doing another set of reps of biceps and triceps

work and workout= one in the same
A

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »

well, true muscular failure is never reached in the gym.

if u a muscle was truly driven to the point of failure, that means it couldnt be moved anymore, right?

for example, if u were to do biceps to failure, that means once u drop that weight u wouldnt be able to flex your able anymore, which im sure no one on this board has reached that point.

failure is all relative, what might be failure for you, might not be failure for me and vice versa.

pretty much what im saying is, i dont like to use the term failure......its silly.

and another thing is, who wants to fail at anything. if ur in the gym training hard, u want to grow and succeed, not fail...........figure out another word to use ;D

ok im done, off my soapbox now :)