Author Topic: UFC 92 Crowd Almost 1/3 Freebies  (Read 1003 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 92 Crowd Almost 1/3 Freebies
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
MMA Junkie has a disconcerting, but not surprising report about the live attendance at UFC 92:

of the 14,166 attendees, a total 4,465 – nearly a third of the overall crowd – were issued complimentary tickets, according to an email today sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) by Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer.

Only 9,701 were paid attendees.

However, despite a lower-than-usual percentage of paid attendees, UFC 92 still garnered a live gate of $3,468,440 – just two days after Christmas. It was the fifth-highest gate total among the 12 events that have been held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in the UFC's 15-year history.

It's not news that the economy is terrible, especially in Las Vegas. It's also not news that Zuffa triple-dipped Vegas with UFC 91, 92 and 93 back-to-back-to-back in their home town.

Nevertheless, it's a clear indicator that current conditions are very different from the high-water mark of Las Vegas shows at the end of 2006 but Zuffa is still making good money even in hard times.

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: UFC 92 Crowd Almost 1/3 Freebies
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »
heard somewhere that the PPV prices are going from 45 to 55 dollars after the new years too...

I hate greed and I hate being nickel and dimed so if the cards are questionable I won't be buying them,and that has nothing to do with the economy

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »
I think the economic situation will hopefully force UFC to avoid producing the kind of bullshit cards that they've sometimes put up in the UK or in Canada.

All fights have to be quality.

The Bisping vs Leben card was one of the worst ever. How could that fight be the headliner in the first place?
That's just an insult to UK and European fight fans all over. Not to mention the fans in the US.

Marcus Taylor had to fight that awful bum Paul Kelly in one of the bigger fights of the evening. Terrible. There were a lot of fights like that that night.

That UFC was much worse than any UFC Fight Night I've seen.

Total embarrasment.
As empty as paradise

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »
i know the talent pool is way higher now but i kinda miss the old ufc,s,tournament style with no gloves,no rounds ect.it was awesome havin a tournament with don frye,coleman,tank,ken shamrock,oleg,severn ect,man those where some exciting ufc days.it just seems like its to watered down now,i know the ufc had to modify things to get sanctioned and all but i still like the older ones better.imo those guys where the real tough guys,no disrespect to todays guys though.the crew i just mentioned had to fight up to 4 times in one night with no gloves,bare knuckled,no rounds and all.watch the ultimate ultimate 1 and ultimate ultimate 2 and youll see what i mean,i like the ufc now but i guess im still old school in my heart.i remember watching tank and ferrozzo banging it out,i know they werent exactly the elite mma fighters we have today but that fight was alot more entertaining then some of these snooze fest we get once in awhile today.i mean you had 2 guys weighing over 300lbs each and ferrozzo had a 800lb deadlift and (david lawless)tank abbott a 600lb bench press,not exactly wimpy dudes.and they werent exactly newbies at throwin thier fists,also the royce and kimo fight was very entertaining,you had sheer power and rage with a streetfighting and jo son do training backround in kimo against the graceful,technical,slimmer bjj trained athlete in royce.it was a great battle that all mma fans should see if they havent already.i could talk about the old ufc days for days on end,thanks for reading and happy new year and god bless yous all and your families.
R