Author Topic: Style poll....  (Read 1669 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Style poll....
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:01:22 AM »

Ok, let's say hypotherically speaking you can choose 3 (only) 3 styles to do and be proficient at , what would you chooise and why ?

For me,

1. Muay Thai - sheer brutality, very effective, quick learning curve, gets you in great conditioning as well

2. American/Western boxing, picks up where Muay Thai falters, proper boxing foundation is a great asset

3. Combat Sambo (or possibly Judo) it shares some moves and locks with jiu jitsu and is somewhat wrestling based, thus combining the best aspects of JJ and wrestling.

These are my personal picks... please post yours :)

I believe these 3 styles provide a great balance of offensive striking, defense and, grappling and groundwork

The Master

• Getbig V
Re: Style poll....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:04:27 AM »
Lethal combat training from Canada's most feared men, guaranteed to kill any MMA fighter within 0,125 seconds once you get very proficient with it.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:15:05 AM »
my striking art is no doubt thai boxing,it does the most amount of damage in the shortest time
my ground game would be bjj,not sport bjj but good ole old school bjj where throws are heavily practiced also
my other would be western boxing =its icing on the cake imo to round out those 2 nasty/limb breaking arts

R

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:29 AM »
Captain we must think alike because I grew up boxing but now I train Sambo and Catch Wrestling.  My friend who got me into the Sambo has been doing BJJ for over 10 years now and he works with me alot on things also.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 05:51:05 AM »
Muay thai- Be able to defend myself and still land some shots on the feet.
Wrestling- Have a great sprawl and also be able to shoot for singles and double leg takedowns.
BJJ- be able to pull guard and also work for submissions and with the wrestling base I would be able to control the fight on the ground.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »
depends for me. 

For fighting in mma: 1: old school bjj.  Need to be able to fight on the ground and be able to submit and counter submit., muay thai great strikes from distance and close range and boxing is great for creating gaps and being able to round out the thai boxong for more variablilty and throwing from more angles. 

For personal defense in outside real wold application i would go with 1: krav maga due t the aggressive and brutal nature; striped down of fancy moves, efficient, 2: wing chun combines distance and close range attacks, plus weapons training as well as stading hand traps and joint locks combined with breaking techniques, and a throwing art Aikido or something of the sort.  I know i'll get blasted for not having BJJ in there, but seriously in the real world i want nothing to do going to the ground.  you set your self up to get your head kicked in by the other guys friends. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »
1. Wrestling - wrestlers are always good punchers too in the MMA. Probably because of their great balance. They may not have the greatest guard, but they usually hit real fcuking hard.

2. Muay Thai - Low kicks, knees and elbow techniques. Also teaching a decent guard.

3. BJJ - Ground game, submission skills. Defending on the ground.
As empty as paradise

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »
just dont ever try freestyle wrestling on a hardwood floor or concrete on the street,very poor choice for street fighting defense imo.greco roman wrestling is the better choice as far as wrestling goes for street.ive seen a guy shoot a double leg on a hardwood dance floor and bust his kneecap in a fight,thats why i dont recomend freestlyle wrestling anywhere where it aint padded,you could get away with it on a grassy field or soft dirt but thats as far as id push it.although there is a style of street freestlyle wrestling my old teacher used to teach,he made us shoot hundreds of doubles and singles with our knees about an inch from the mat,this way on concrete or a hardwood floor your safe from any knee damage.but i havent seen that style taught anywhere else.i still prefered greco or judo for street self defense,ive trained judo and concrete hits alot harder then a mat.you guys that do judo practice alot of hip throws and know if you did that to someone on concrete rather then the mat its pretty much over for that guy.thai boxing,judo or greco roman wrestling imo is your best defense in street fighting.i dont recommend street fighting cause these days people pull out guns and other weapons,its just not worth it imo.but if you have no choice and you have to defend yourself its good to be prepared,now go out and get afew granades and 9mm,s and walk around strapped like rambo and youll be set ;)
R

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »
Judo or Goshin Jiu jitsu; Stand up is a critical part of a complete fighters game

jit kwon do; Most rugged and suitable fighting style for hand to hand combat besides Muy Thai for MMA

Muy Thai: The perfect form of martial arts IMO- MMA to street fighting, master it and you are untouchable-- the plum especially

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
1. Muay Thai - deadly striking basically both inside and out, way more tools for multiple situations...I love the options and combinations you can blend on your own with Muay Thai ...I already can box so it's the perfect complement.

2. Judo - the tossing and immobilization of a foe that's shooting for position..etc...sprawl fails so a nice hip toss as a bail out move should seal that deal......the strikes and joint manipulation techniques, chokes..etc are a bonus here as well if you get grounded

3. Dim Mak -when all else fails  ;D