Author Topic: Germaine Greer says Irwin's death is animal world revenge  (Read 9129 times)

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Re: Germaine Greer says Irwin's death is animal world revenge
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »
And like animals, when humans perceive they are being attacked or their lives are in peril, they bite back. The point I was making only, is that any time you are around dangerous animals, your chances are grearter of being injured, mauled, devoured, stung, clawed, poisoned, etc...

much less if your an expert

steve was

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 11:35:13 AM »
The only thing I was comparing was the level of risk both took. You can't tell me that picking up poisonous snakes with your bare hands and chasing crocs and komodo dragons is an afternoon at disneyworld.

venomous

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »

much less if your an expert

steve was

But greater than if you're a sales rep or office manager in a big city. When you play with dangerous animals, who do not live by our rules, you run the risk of losing your life.

Deedee

• Getbig V

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 11:44:16 AM »
you're welcome.  Although you are much more accurate in your verbage than i usually am

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 11:45:23 AM »

ignoring the fact that humans are animals

steve knew the difference between the animals and knew how to deal with various animals

timothy tredwell didn't

Obviously a big difference between Tredwell and Irwin.

-Tredwell didn't seem all there, and had some nutty ideas about bears.

Still, I believe that many people living close to animals can get too attached, and start to see (sorry for being vague here) "a soul" in these animals.

I think this is what caused Irwin to repeatedly disregard safety measures.

It would be great to get the input from a dog owner or a horse owner (flower?).

What about this animal attachment? How close do you get to your animals?

I know of beastiality.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »

Still, I believe that many people living close to animals can get too attached, and start to see (sorry for being vague here) "a soul" in these animals.

I know of beastiality.

YIP
Zack

Having been around both all my life, yes people get very attached, but the worst thing people do is attach their own emotionality to other creatures. It isn't fair to them and since we're supposed to have the elevated consciousness, it is up to us to read their "needs" and convey our will on their level. That sounds vague too, but a real response would take half an hour... :-\

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:59 AM »
Obviously a big difference between Tredwell and Irwin.

-Tredwell didn't seem all there, and had some nutty ideas about bears.

I think this is what caused Irwin to repeatedly disregard safety measures.

I know of beastiality.

YIP
Zack

Irwin didn't disregard safety measures.

Animals have personalites and emotions. Interpreting their personalities and emotions is the problem.

Steve could interpret them. Timothy Tredwell could not.

Steve did not die from misinterpreting the Stingray. The Stringray was hiding under the sand when he swam over it and it stung him.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »
Having been around both all my life, yes people get very attached, but the worst thing people do is attach their own emotionality to other creatures. It isn't fair to them and since we're supposed to have the elevated consciousness, it is up to us to read their "needs" and convey our will on their level. That sounds vague too, but a real response would take half an hour... :-\

Anthropomorphism is teh atribution of humen charateristics to non-humens.
Atributing anger or fear to other animals aint false since nearly all animals have anger or fear. Atributing things like 'sense of fashon' to other animals is false since they don't have any such thing.

Timothy Tredwell was responsible for anthropomorphism. Saying things in the effect of 'the bears missed me'. Steve Irwin wasnt. Steve knew the psychology of various animels and how to interprett theer emotions and movements. If you spent 5 minutes watching his TV show you would realize that.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
Why do you keep harping on this small detail?  I know that Treadwell was wonkers and that Steve Irwin wasn't. The only comparison I made between the two is that they both spent a lot of time with dangerous animals, which increased the liklihood that one of these creatures, at some point in time, would be their demise.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Why do you keep harping on this small detail?  I know that Treadwell was wonkers and that Steve Irwin wasn't. The only comparison I made between the two is that they both spent a lot of time with dangerous animals, which increased the liklihood that one of these creatures, at some point in time, would be their demise.

ok

Deedee

• Getbig V

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 02:15:40 PM »
Irwin death, animal world revenge: Greer

The animal world has taken revenge on self-deluded animal tormentor Steve Irwin, according to expatriate Australian academic and writer Germaine Greer.

Writing in the British press following Irwin's sudden death, Greer said she had "not much sympathy" for the naturalist if he was grappling with the stingray that killed him on the Great Barrier Reef.

"As a Melbourne boy, Irwin should have had a healthy respect for stingrays, which are actually commoner and bigger in southern waters than they are near Port Douglas," Greer said in The Guardian.

She described Irwin's behaviour as "bizarre", noting the famed incident when he held his baby son while feeding a crocodile during a show at his Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast.

"The whole spectacle was revolting," Greer said.

"The crocodile would rather have been anywhere else and the chicken had a grim life too, but that's entertainment at Australia Zoo."

She dismissed Irwin's explanation that he had the situation under control and could not have slipped or stumbled.

"That sort of self-delusion is what it takes to be a real Aussie larrikin," Greer said.

"What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space.

"There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into, trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies.

"There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle.

"Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress.

"The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing ten times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo-owners in their turn."

Yes of course, the animal kingdom conspired to kill Steve Irwin at that precise time ::)!!

Jeez, sounds like something Jag would write!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2006, 02:23:14 PM »
Yes of course, the animal kingdom conspired to kill Steve Irwin at that precise time ::)!!

Jeez, sounds like something Jag would write!

I think Greer *probably* was metaphorically speaking.  If not, she's one crazy fcuker.

Right or wrong, it seems like she's metaphorically speaking about a revenge for the animal kingdom, for past "evils" done by Irwin.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »
1. Greer's just trying to leech onto Irwin's celebrity . . . remind everyone that she's still here and controversial/relevant.

2. If I'd met the youg Germaine Greer, I'd definitely have tried to sleep with her . . . I love it when women get all philosophical in bed. or sleep with you as some kind of a statement.  ;D and she used to be kinda attractive.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 05:12:34 PM »
I think Greer *probably* was metaphorically speaking.  If not, she's one crazy fcuker.

Right or wrong, it seems like she's metaphorically speaking about a revenge for the animal kingdom, for past "evils" done by Irwin.

YIP
Zack

The fish put a "hit" on the Croc hunter!!

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 05:31:18 PM »
She makes some interesting points

"There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into, trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies.

"There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle.

"Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress.

There's no doubt that Irwin loved wildlife, but he was to loud and full on. There's only so much over enthusiasm one can take.

Sir David Attenborough, now that's more like it

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
She makes some interesting points

There's no doubt that Irwin loved wildlife, but he was to loud and full on. There's only so much over enthusiasm one can take.

Sir David Attenborough, now that's more like it

There's a reason for the "Sir"... ;D

Great guy.

Eric Cantona deserves to be "Sir" too IMO. That Karate kick alone was good enough in my book.

Not a ManUnited fan, but I know a decent bloke when I see one.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

AVBG

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »
Stupid slit.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 06:51:24 AM »
1. Greer's just trying to leech onto Irwin's celebrity . . . remind everyone that she's still here and controversial/relevant.

2. If I'd met the youg Germaine Greer, I'd definitely have tried to sleep with her . . . I love it when women get all philosophical in bed. or sleep with you as some kind of a statement.  ;D and she used to be kinda attractive.

There are many who share GG's views... that animals should be left alone in their environments -  that human intervention should be kept to a minimum. Perhaps it's a little unfair to accuse her of leeching off Irwin's celebrity.

(I do know what you mean about the philosophical thing though.)

body88

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
Nonsense!!! What is this pigs email? I plan to tell her what a c*nt she is!!!

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »
Ask any forest ranger in Alaska...  :)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 09:18:28 AM »
Steve Irwin's death was a freak accident. Anyone who says it was his fault is a dumbass, he didn't even touch the ray. The fish just felt threatened and got a lucky shot at him.  :(

I've swam along rays in Florida, they didn't sting me or anything, they did seem irritated sometimes and swam away.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 09:35:41 AM »
No one is saying it was his fault and everyone knows it was a freak accident. Germaine Greer just had an issue with his politics concerning the treatment of animals.

I've gone swimming with rays too.  They're really passive, sweet creatures and when you touch them they're soft as silk and they even have cute brown eyes too.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:34 PM »
the sad thing is no one w a tv is ever going to look at a ray the same way again.