Author Topic: Cleans for back thickness  (Read 1414 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Cleans for back thickness
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:05 AM »
How do u think cleans from floor are for back thickness?? Not pressing above head tho, just stopping when u catch the bar on shoulders?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Cleans for back thickness
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
How do u think cleans from floor are for back thickness?? Not pressing above head tho, just stopping when u catch the bar on shoulders?!

davie
I personally have thickened my back up that way.  My shirts never fit tighter in the delt and upper back region.  I also train alongside college athletes and they always do those, high pulls, and hang cleans; all of them have thick upper backs, even the lighter track guys.  I would recommend them to anyone, especially those who cannot or do not deadlift.
Squishy face retard

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I personally have thickened my back up that way.  My shirts never fit tighter in the delt and upper back region.  I also train alongside college athletes and they always do those, high pulls, and hang cleans; all of them have thick upper backs, even the lighter track guys.  I would recommend them to anyone, especially those who cannot or do not deadlift.

Seconded.

Doing heavy cleans, whether sets of 3-5 or singles with a one minute interval between lifts, are one of the best all around compound exercises.  They're good for building up cardiovascular conditioning, esp when done in quick successive reps.  But also good for building up your core strength.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

Ever since I started doing cleans, mainly hang cleans, hang snatches and snatch grip high pull's, my upper back and traps have gotten a lot thicker!  add those on top of deadlifts and rack pull's and BOOM!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »
Kul guys.

I do DC, and on one day do one xcercise for chest,shoulder,tris,back width and back thickness. Iv picked cleans from floor as back thickness on that day.

Il keep u posted!!

davie

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:35 AM »
Back thickness, conditioning, overall development they can't be beat.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:20:47 AM »
Can also throw in or alternate  some HI-Pulls with Cleans.  Using a little wider hand spacing  should allow the bar to travel up higher (mid to upper chest ). If into BB'ing than keep the reps with-in 8-12 as a general rule. Actually some impressive success has been gains with a much higher reps range of 15 to 20 reps. The stamina increase can be very impressive. Can build up to some very heavy weights after a time. If after powe, than sets of 3 to 5's. Whatever rep scheme you chose, a muscle gain is sure to follow. Cleans and HI-Pulls, in any form (floor, hand, rack or partials)  build up the muscles around the  lower back also. They are contracted strongly.

If you want a movement that affects the quads, hams,hips and total back than try squat cleans. The ultimate complete body workout would be doing the squat clean and press/jerk. Try that one for 10 reps or so . You will get an idea of how good a shape you really are in. Try this one exercise with the rest-pause system and higher reps. A true mass builder than nearly no one does any more. You will add muscular bwt and gain greater power and fairly fast. The down side is , you may have to walk side ways to get through a normal size door after awhile. Good Luck.
F

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »
Yeh im hoping that itl hit traps hard, adn rest of back. I did them with my belt on to, see how it feels.

Im not using it as shoulder excerise (tho if it hits rear delts i dont mind), as im leaving out the pressing part.

davie