Author Topic: 2001 Olympia - Shawn Ray hosting a review of the event  (Read 1352 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
2001 Olympia - Shawn Ray hosting a review of the event
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »
2001 Mr. Olympia IFBB Pro bodybuilding competition - Mandalay Bay Arena Las Vegas Nevada

This one brings back memories, when King Kamali and Craig Titus just did not like each other...

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
Re: 2001 Olympia - Shawn Ray hosting a review of the event
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:23:24 AM »
do I have to go back in time to see the content?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »
I just watched the 2001 press conference last night. The Craig Titus / King Kamali beef was funny.

Sad to see where some of these guys ended up today.

Also, Shawn Ray actually won this contest:

1. Ronnie Coleman posed briefly in red, white, and blue trunks, violating the IFBB's policy of only single coloured trunks being allowed. DISQUALIFIED.

2. Jay Cutler failed the diuretics test, testing positive for LASIX. DISQUALIFIED.

3. Kevin Levrone put his name in the hat for the show past the official deadline. DISQUALIFIED.

Thus Shawn was the real 2001 Mr. Olympia champ.

8)

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 12:58:18 AM »
The stadium looks to be actually filled compared to this years O

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 12:59:09 AM »
I just watched the 2001 press conference last night. The Craig Titus / King Kamali beef was funny.

Sad to see where some of these guys ended up today.

Also, Shawn Ray actually won this contest:

1. Ronnie Coleman posed briefly in red, white, and blue trunks, violating the IFBB's policy of only single coloured trunks being allowed. DISQUALIFIED.

2. Jay Cutler failed the diuretics test, testing positive for LASIX. DISQUALIFIED.

3. Kevin Levrone put his name in the hat for the show past the official deadline. DISQUALIFIED.

Thus Shawn was the real 2001 Mr. Olympia champ.

8)

Shawn needs to be reimbursed immediately

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 01:12:16 AM »
Only Olympia/Pro show I ever attended...LOTS of memories, had a great time. I met Chris Cormier (who was pretty cordial) and got to gamble legally for the first time (I turned 21 a few months before) I also remember the people around me (where we were sitting) gasping when Jay came out for prejudging. As far as I could tell most who were there had him winning the show. It was nuts. I also remember the most cheesy horrible music during the show...the overall production did not impress...

Still glad I went.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »

;D

In all seriousness though, Shawn would have a good argument for deserving second place.

Jay did fail the diuretics test, and Levrone shouldn't have been allowed to compete, had the IFBB adhered to their own policy for late entrants.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:24:16 AM »

LOL, Shawn tried to come in at 216 one year and was a water balloon.  His max is 212 which makes him a 212 athlete.  I don't see a 212 athlete in modern times winning the O.  Shawn received the correct placements and his paychecks.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:46 AM »
LOL, Shawn tried to come in at 216 one year and was a water balloon.  His max is 212 which makes him a 212 athlete.  I don't see a 212 athlete in modern times winning the O.  Shawn received the correct placements and his paychecks.

Yeah, well.

Ronnie violated the IFBB's policy that posing trunks must be mono-coloured. DISQUALIFIED.

And Markus Ruhl also tested positive for LASIX, so he had his 14th place revoked.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:21:51 AM »
Yeah, well.

Ronnie violated the IFBB's policy that posing trunks must be mono-coloured. DISQUALIFIED.

And Markus Ruhl also tested positive for LASIX, so he had his 14th place revoked.

Didn’t know that about Markus

Jay should have been disqualified, why wasn’t he? Oh, yeah, cause of politics, right?  ::)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 04:37:34 AM »

Jay should have been disqualified, why wasn’t he? Oh, yeah, cause of politics, right?  ::)

IFBB used a regular testing lab. Jay’s lawyers said that the lab wasn’t an Olympic certified lab. They threatened to sue the IFBB... and the IFBB caved.

It was later said that if Nasser (who failed the 96 Olympia diuretic test) threatened to sue in 1996, that the IFBB would’ve caved then too

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
i remember this aired on fox sports net about 6 months after the show

at that point espn was done with bodybuilding, i think maybe flex online had a live webcast but many people still had dial up internet so few could use it, and the show was live on pay per view the next few years

E
E

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »

Jay should have been disqualified, why wasn’t he? Oh, yeah, cause of politics, right?  ::)

Company policy. The IFBB is a private company who favours whoever they want or need.