Author Topic: Vince Gironda was a genius and an asshole, he is the GOAT Trainer  (Read 1187 times)

keanu

• Getbig IV
Re: Vince Gironda was a genius and an asshole, he is the GOAT Trainer
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2024, 04:38:56 PM »
This guy was way ahead of his time and most of his theories have proven true. I like the fact that Vince was always saying, try this or try that. It was all about finding what works for you, and forgetting the rest. The guys in gym today mostly look like dogballs trying to lift heavyweights all the time. I see a lot of bulking, big guts, and high blood pressure. Vince was about getting in sufficient volume, using weights as a tool, maintaining a good growth pattern without over stressing the body. Asshole or not, I would have loved to train under him. He was shutting down as I was graduating high school and ready to make the trip.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2024, 04:42:55 PM »
I mean it is 2024 now we have learned a lot since then

What have we learned about natural training since the 60s and 70s? Even the enhanced competitors I see at shows look worse than ever. It's all about big ugly muscle these days.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2024, 05:08:58 PM »
I wonder what happened to all the equipment in the gym?  Hate to think it was junked.  So many actors trained there. Like Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Robert Blake and Carl Weathers. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about.

From what I heard he taught sets should be done with under 30 seconds of rest and sometimes 15 seconds. No heavy weights needed.

So many great bodybuilders trained there like Rick Wayne, Arnold (for a short period), Don Howorth, Makkawy and others. 

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2024, 08:07:48 PM »
I wonder what happened to all the equipment in the gym?  Hate to think it was junked.  So many actors trained there. Like Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Robert Blake and Carl Weathers. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about.

From what I heard he taught sets should be done with under 30 seconds of rest and sometimes 15 seconds. No heavy weights needed.

So many great bodybuilders trained there like Rick Wayne, Arnold (for a short period), Don Howorth, Makkawy and others.
I've been using his 8x8 with 30 sec. Rest between sets. The weight is not heavy. I've been having insane pumps and great workouts.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
I remember in one telephone conversation i had with Bob Kennedy I asked him why Vince was such an asshole..he said he was bitter because he never won anything.
That was his opinion & he knew Vince better than most did.

as to steak & eggs getting you muscular & super ripped..cīmon man.

Vince trained some superstars thatīs true but donīt you think they never knew about drugs? get cut fast for a film shoot...or was it maybe Vinceīs programme?... ;D
He trained for example Kay Baxter who for that time was very big
Maybe he was bitter about not winning contests. So what? His training and diet recommendations work well. Hollywood stars may use short cycles to get in shape quick but they still chose Vince to train them.

Griffith

• Getbig V
The Gironda dip was very good, I should start doing those again.

Don't agree with his leg training ideas though, if anyone barbell squatted in his gym they were kicked out!

SAF

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Reading this thread is interesting because as I've said to others so many times, there are so many so-called "trainers," but nobody talks about them 2 days after they leave the industry or die. Basically, they bring nothing to the table.

But Vince died in 1997 and people still talk about him. In the 1980s, I read everything I could that Gironda wrote and then I went to his gym and trained with him for 3 days. I learned more in those 3 days about training than from any other individual person in my life. In the early 2000s, I made a couple DVDs that sold well that showed Gironda's exercises. I also coached people successfully to national bodybuilding, fitness, and figure wins.

In a nutshell, his techniques work well, but are often greatly misunderstood. No set-and-rep scheme is magic. They are simply effective and get a result. But you have to dive in, switch them up, etc., to make long-term results. You don't get on 8x8, for example, and think that you're going to win Mr. Olympia, which is what some think.

Also, what he did understand well was how to stimulate muscle for great in terms of how much work to do. And also how often to train not just weekly, but over months. His 3 weeks on, 1 week off, for example, is brilliant. Training the same muscle 2 or 3 times a day also works -- for a period.

As far as bodybuilding trainers go, this thread is correct -- he was the GOAT.

DAS

SAF

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
BTW, for those who want to know what had happened to his equipment, originally a lot of it was sold to a Hollywood agent who knew Vince, for very little money. He set it up in a personal gym -- those are a lot of the pictures that get shown. Over time, that was sold off to individuals. A person named Daryl Conant, who owns a gym in Maine, got a bit of it, including the sign, and keeps it in good shape.

DAS

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
BTW, for those who want to know what had happened to his equipment, originally a lot of it was sold to a Hollywood agent who knew Vince, for very little money. He set it up in a personal gym -- those are a lot of the pictures that get shown. Over time, that was sold off to individuals. A person named Daryl Conant, who owns a gym in Maine, got a bit of it, including the sign, and keeps it in good shape.

DAS