Author Topic: Apples?  (Read 4470 times)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
Apples?
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
Good preworkout? Why do most shun fruit?  Is this something that should be nixed in a diet to get ripped and massive?  Little insight would be great.....is an apple the best choice of fruit when trying to stay/get lean?  Maybe 8-10 weeks out?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Apples?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:53:17 AM »
Good preworkout? Why do most shun fruit?  Is this something that should be nixed in a diet to get ripped and massive?  Little insight would be great.....is an apple the best choice of fruit when trying to stay/get lean?  Maybe 8-10 weeks out?
I eat fruit for one BIG reason, it kills the sweet tooth, I find if i eat fruit after a workout, i don't go looking for junk later on.
bodybuildersreality.com

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »
you want to stay or get lean? ??? ::)
big or bust

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:29:12 PM »

Lugar, man, I respect U and U are too smart and have been around 2 long to ask this question:

1) Post work out you want SIMPLE carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin,  sucrose, white flour); FRUCTOSE is not a simple sugar, plain and simple;

2) FRUCTOSE (aka FRUIT SUGAR) at any time, is not a good choice, I've posted the research before, you can't get lean on SUGAR.

C'mon man.  I respect U and your prior posts.  What gives??????

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 04:56:51 PM »
apples are good pre workout.   i your buking, eat it with some oatmeal about an hour and a half before you train...if your cutting, just eat the apple, and do it about 20 minutes before you train.   
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:00:43 AM »
see why i get confused???

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:11 AM »
see why i get confused???

I owe you an apology- I misread your post and thought you were talking about post workout options.  I still say, however, that for pre-workout you can get the type of carbs you need to sustain a workout (salad, cruciferous vegetables, sweet potato)without consuming fructose.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »
all good....so fructose is truly a no-no in the bodybuilding world.......dropped it as of today..thnx.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:07:49 AM »
all good....so fructose is truly a no-no in the bodybuilding world.......dropped it as of today..thnx.

I don't think there is a consensus necessarily.  The pro-fruit lobby will probably weigh in later.  But look at it this way, there are other ways to get the type of carbs that fruit provides without fructose, so why risk it?

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:20:02 AM »
Lets say I do  pro fat preworkout....like a blend and some nuts......what is your thoery on a dext/pro DURING shake...?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
Lets say I do  pro fat preworkout....like a blend and some nuts......what is your thoery on a dext/pro DURING shake...?

I worry about having a energy crash if I was to spike insulin with dextrose during the workout.  I would stick to whey during and then immediate dextrose/maltodextrin whey pwo.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »
I'd be curious to know what changes you have made since June.
:

Louis Cipher

• Getbig II
  • Aue Caesar, Morituri Te Salutant!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
Lugar, man, I respect U and U are too smart and have been around 2 long to ask this question:

1) Post work out you want SIMPLE carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin,  sucrose, white flour); FRUCTOSE is not a simple sugar, plain and simple;

2) FRUCTOSE (aka FRUIT SUGAR) at any time, is not a good choice, I've posted the research before, you can't get lean on SUGAR.

C'mon man.  I respect U and your prior posts.  What gives??????

FRUCTOSE is NOT a simple sugar? It is a MONOSACCHARIDE, therefore a simple sugar, plain and simple.

pushinweightwi

• Getbig III
  • One man's trash, is another man's treasure.BSpears
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 05:44:37 PM »
I think he meant High GI sugar.  Simple/complex really does not tell the whole story when it comes to carbs.

Louis Cipher

• Getbig II
  • Aue Caesar, Morituri Te Salutant!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
Does that mean that sugars may have high/ low GI, regardless of their complexity? The problem is that there is so much misinformation on the Internet, especially with definitions. Do you know any reliable sources?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »
 you can't get lean on SUGAR.

Getting lean is the last thing someone in this condition should think about.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
The pro-fruit lobby will probably weigh in later.  But look at it this way, there are other ways to get the type of carbs that fruit provides without fructose, so why risk it?

OMG people!  :o  You have got to be kidding!  :o Eliminating fruit from ones normal daily diet is absurd.  We’re not talking about contest prep (in which everything changes). Fruit is very nutritious, full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, low in calories, loaded with important phytochemicals (micronutrients that are beneficial to bodybuilders). When you eliminate fruit from your diet, you not only eliminate the fructose and other sugars that fruit contains, but you also eliminate beneficial nutrients  that help support growth.   

Yes, when you take in fructose, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored. Since it’s hard to know when your liver glycogen stores are full, many misinformed people avoid fruit altogether. Such extreme measures is actually counterproductive.  Eat it first thing in the morning, when your liver glycogen levels are low (because your body has used them as an energy source while you slept). With low liver glycogen levels, your body looks to your muscles and begins to break them down for energy. When you eat fruit immediately upon waking, you provide your body with an alternate energy source, which helps end muscle catabolism.

Midnite, quite frankly, I’m surprised,  I thought you had a better understanding of overall nutrition, however, this statement worries me
FRUCTOSE (aka FRUIT SUGAR) at any time, is not a good choice

Lugar, as mentioned numerous times before, by several people, you’ve got bigger issues than worrying about eating a piece or two of fruit a day.
:

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »
OMG people!  :o  You have got to be kidding!  :o Eliminating fruit from ones normal daily diet is absurd.  We’re not talking about contest prep (in which everything changes). Fruit is very nutritious, full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, low in calories, loaded with important phytochemicals (micronutrients that are beneficial to bodybuilders). When you eliminate fruit from your diet, you not only eliminate the fructose and other sugars that fruit contains, but you also eliminate beneficial nutrients  that help support growth.   

Yes, when you take in fructose, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored. Since it’s hard to know when your liver glycogen stores are full, many misinformed people avoid fruit altogether. Such extreme measures is actually counterproductive.  Eat it first thing in the morning, when your liver glycogen levels are low (because your body has used them as an energy source while you slept). With low liver glycogen levels, your body looks to your muscles and begins to break them down for energy. When you eat fruit immediately upon waking, you provide your body with an alternate energy source, which helps end muscle catabolism.

Midnite, quite frankly, I’m surprised,  I thought you had a better understanding of overall nutrition, however, this statement worries me
Lugar, as mentioned numerous times before, by several people, you’ve got bigger issues than worrying about eating a piece or two of fruit a day.

Great explanation.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:25 PM »
Completely agree with Princess L, unless you have a very specific reason eg. competition to worry about you should not eliminate something as important as fruit from your diet!
It hasn't helped...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 03:20:44 AM »

I'm glad someone else is also telling him this as well.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:32:05 AM »
I'm getting much better...actually up 10lbs since that last pic.....toned down cardio to just a walk in the morning with the dog....my theory is why not get the BEST food for all aspects.....We all want to be big, and lean too...if I can keep SOME of my cuts during my bulking phase it'll be a lot easier to cope with mentally....which I am doing thus far......so, if an apple preowrkout with my protein shake will blur my cuts a little more than let's say a fat source like almonds or peanuts and or a different carb source, like oats or even dry oats, then that's the route I'd like to go.....staying cut while eting an apple or two jsut doesnt seem to go hand in hand...

My other half of the equation is the DURING shake....I agree about the insulin rush/crash, but am wondering what experiences people have had...esp. if you can't get a meal in for 1-2 hours post.......

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »
I used to avoid fruit when training for competition.  However, in 12 months, I have lost 30lbs of fat, gained some muscle and got in near competition shape.  I was, and still am eating raisins for breakfast, blueberries mid morning, a glass of Diet V8 Splash with added fiber powder before lunch, and an apple at lunch time.  Do not fear fruit.  It's good for ya.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 07:09:31 AM »
I;m not saying I am avoiding or scared of fruit...I'm just saying and others are agreeing that there are BETTER sources of carbs to stay lean/shredded........no one ths far says they eat fruit daily and maintain sub 10%......

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »
I;m not saying I am avoiding or scared of fruit...I'm just saying and others are agreeing that there are BETTER sources of carbs to stay lean/shredded........no one ths far says they eat fruit daily and maintain sub 10%......

Well, here you go:  I eat fruit daily and my body fat is 8%.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 07:33:43 AM »
pic?