Author Topic: Water Intake  (Read 7994 times)

MrsMuscles

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Water Intake
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:33:13 AM »
Hello.

I know they say drink 8 glasses of water each day but is it okay to use other beverages as well? I don't really like water it tastes so gross. I am trying to stay away from pop but I will drink a few cans a day although im trying to cut that down to only 2. I also like juice and coffee.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
Re: Water Intake
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:05:18 AM »
I would not go for soda's, juices, dairy products or sweetened beverages, just because they also contain a lot of calories. For me 3 to 4 liters of unsweetened weak black tea do the trick, occasionally some sugar free soda for variation.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:46 AM »
But what is left for me to drink? I hate water and I donnt like the taste of diet sodas.
What about the diet soda don't you like? Is it a special taste, or do you miss the actual sugar? Maybe a different taste or brand will help? Stevia tastes quite different than aspartame or sucralose.
And what about water don't you like? Is it just tap water, or also bottled water? And what about flavoured (but unsweetened) water?

I also like sparkling water with a slice of lime, lemon, or orange in it. It just gives a hint of flavour. You can also use other fruits like strawberries or peach, or herbs like mint or lemon balm. Can't wait for summer: a large pitcher with ice and cold water, slices of strawberry and some lemon balm leaves fresh from our garden.  8)

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:19 AM »
Diet soda is an acquired taste after drinking full sugar soda.

However you can and will acquire it....just give it a chance.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
Use pharmaceutical destylated water. It has no taste. Forget other beverages.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
But what is left for me to drink? I hate water and I donnt like the taste of diet sodas.

"Clean" water has no taste, so maybe the water you're drinking has a lot of iron or some other off tasting mineral.  There are lots of sparkling waters out there.  Find one you like.  I recently discovered some at Aldi for .59 that are pretty good.  Also, there are dozens of pixie stick options out there.
:

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »
Water tastes gross? Are you living in Uganda?

BAST

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Ask Ronald to let me back in please. i am banned.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
Some that haven't been mentioned:

*Milk - protein, vitamin d, calcium.   sure it has lactose (and fat if not fat free) but just fine; need energy for working out.  just sub out a little food if to be at the right calories.

*almond milk - has good fats, calcium, magnesium.

*coconut water - they have ones mixed with fruit juice or plain

*coconut milk

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
Thank you. I have purchased crystal lite packages to put into my water and it helps me like it.

Is chocolate milk a good option or is there too much chocolate for it to be considered healthy? I do like milk.

Chocolate milk?! LOL, you can't be serious. Just read the ingredients and you know the answer.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
I was serious. But I will read the ingredients. I don't buy it much but when I do I will check them.

It's very simple. When refined sugars/syrup are added, then don't buy the product, but look for alternatives like natural tea.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
What are refined sugars? I don't really like syrup anyways.

Refined sugar = white or brown sugar. With syrup I mean the liquid form of refined sugar. Most processed foods contain one of these forms.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Any time.
You should realise why the industry loves the use of refined sugars: they're damn cheap ingredients and it makes people addicted to those foods/drinks.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
I think I am addicted to pop. I have cut it down to two cans a day but I can't do anymore or else I can't stop thinkinga bout it.

Yes, that sounds like a addiction, so it's good to realise this, since awareness is the first step.
Do you like apple juice? If so, try that for a few weeks and then mix it with water (50/50%).

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »

*Milk - protein, vitamin d, calcium.   sure it has lactose (and fat if not fat free) but just fine; need energy for working out.  just sub out a little food if to be at the right calories.

*coconut milk

Maybe it varies with brands, but the almond milk I've seen and tasted had only up to 1% fat. There's also hazelnut milk (superb for making hot cocoa!), rice milk and oat milk. All a bit to sweet for me for drinking plain, because they all have added sugars. But they are great for making pancakes or crępes or bechamel sauce (use xanthan gum for a low carb, low kcal binding agent).

Also try some coconut cream. It's about as fat as coconutmilk, but has some added xanthan gum and/or guar gum to make it thicker and giving it a creamy texture. Hubby loves to add a splash of coconut cream in his chai (spiced tea).

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:59:02 AM »
Hello.

I know they say drink 8 glasses of water each day but is it okay to use other beverages as well? I don't really like water it tastes so gross. I am trying to stay away from pop but I will drink a few cans a day although im trying to cut that down to only 2. I also like juice and coffee.

if water tastes gross to you.... well i would consider that a serious condition...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
Oh my goodness what condition???

It does taste gross though!

Are you a highly sensitive person?
No offence, but it's good to be aware of this (self knowledge = power)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »

*coconut milk

Maybe it varies with brands, but the almond milk I've seen and tasted had only up to 1% fat. There's also hazelnut milk (superb for making hot cocoa!), rice milk and oat milk. All a bit to sweet for me for drinking plain, because they all have added sugars. But they are great for making pancakes or crępes or bechamel sauce (use xanthan gum for a low carb, low kcal binding agent).

Also try some coconut cream. It's about as fat as coconutmilk, but has some added xanthan gum and/or guar gum to make it thicker and giving it a creamy texture. Hubby loves to add a splash of coconut cream in his chai (spiced tea).

Yes, that sounds like a addiction, so it's good to realise this, since awareness is the first step.
Do you like apple juice? If so, try that for a few weeks and then mix it with water (50/50%).

I have to disagree with all the sugary soda alternatives advice given here.  None of these is a good dieting replacement to water in the quantities water should be consumed.  Still sugar (insulin response) and high calorie (ie; juices, "milks", "creams").
:

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »

I have to disagree with all the sugary soda alternatives advice given here.  None of these is a good dieting replacement to water in the quantities water should be consumed.  Still sugar (insulin response) and high calorie (ie; juices, "milks", "creams").

My suggestion was rather intended as a transition idea between 'pop' (what a gay word, LOL) and water.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
i average 120-140oz a day probably

bench

BAST

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Ask Ronald to let me back in please. i am banned.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »

I have to disagree with all the sugary soda alternatives advice given here.  None of these is a good dieting replacement to water in the quantities water should be consumed.  Still sugar (insulin response) and high calorie (ie; juices, "milks", "creams").

I disagree.  The calories in these beverages still satiate hunger, like food.  It's not like it's necessarily going to be Additional calories, and DroppingPlates' point is excellent as well.

Also are insulin responses necessarily bad?  No, especially post workout.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
I disagree.  The calories in these beverages still satiate hunger, like food.  It's not like it's necessarily going to be Additional calories, and DroppingPlates' point is excellent as well.

Also are insulin responses necessarily bad?  No, especially post workout.

She was/is drinking ~100 ounces worth of soda or other sugary drinks (juices) which should be replaced with water or equivalent, not "milks", "creams", or juices.  Someone who should be eating ~1500 cal/day should not be wasting them on liquid calories. 

As far as the insulin response statement ~ she doesn't work out.
:

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:57 AM »

Miscommunication... I wasn't very clear. Yes, staple drinks should be water, especially when you're on restricted calorie intake.

Milk and cream alternative are just that: a replacement for dairy. Not to replace all your water intake... I got carried away with the brainstorm, since I love to cook and experiment with food. :)

Still, if your diet allows it, pancakes made with rice flour and rice milk, or oats and oat milk are a lovely (dairy free) alternative.
And if you allow yourself one drink different from water, like a chai, then a dash of coconut cream is a nice addition.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 01:55:21 AM »
Yes I DO workout. My running is up to two minutes and I am still speed and power walking. I am down to 2 cans of pop currently and have been trying to get into diet soda so I can only drink that instead of sugar pop.

Zero soda would be better, but OK, it is what it is. To minimize the damage, I would suggest that you drink those 2 cans right after your workout.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:56 AM »
Diet soda is an acquired taste after drinking full sugar soda.

However you can and will acquire it....just give it a chance.

This.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
Try drinking some young coconut milk instead. Extremely refreshing.

btw Mrs. Muscles, ...are you Canadian?
w