Author Topic: President Obama: "Immigration bill coming this year" (Amnesty for illegals)  (Read 1146 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
President Obama: Immigration bill coming this year
By CAROL E. LEE | 8/10/09 2:04 PM EDT
Updated: 8/10/09 2:58 PM EDTText Size- + reset

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — Under fire from immigration reform supporters who say he’s not moving fast enough, President Barack Obama said Monday he expects to have a draft immigration bill in Congress by year’s end — but that lawmakers wouldn’t begin to seriously debate the issue until next year.

He acknowledged that the fight for comprehensive reform would be difficult, saying, “Am I going to be able to snap my fingers and get this done? No. . . . There are going to be demagogues out there who try to suggest that any form of pathway for legalization for those who are already in the United States is unacceptable.”

Obama also predicted that Congress would pass his health reform bill later this year when more “sensible and reasoned arguments will emerge” — a clear reference to the increasingly heated attacks being leveled against his overhaul plan by opponents.

Obama brushed back a suggestion from a New York Times reporter that the “blows” he’s suffering in the health-care debate would weaken him too much to take on another massive legislative fight on immigration reform heading into the 2010 midterm elections.

“I anticipate we'll do just fine” in the midterms, Obama said. “And I think when all is said on health care reform, the American people are going to be glad that we acted to change an unsustainable system so that more people have coverage.”

On immigration, he added, “Those are fights that I'd have to have if my poll numbers are at 70 or if my poll numbers are at 40. That's just the nature of the U.S. immigration debate. But ultimately I think the American people want fairness.”

Immigration reform supporters have grown increasingly vocal in criticizing what some see as foot-dragging by Obama on the contentious issue — which President George W. Bush tried in his second term, only to see it fail and cause deep divisions within his own party. Obama’s comments Monday amounted to a firmer timetable than he has set down in the past and came at the end of a summit with his Canadian and Mexican counterparts here.

He spoke in similar terms about immigration and health reform, calling both a national imperative required to fix an unsustainable system. “We have a broken immigration system. Nobody denies it,” Obama said.

On health care, Obama denied that he’s pushing a Canadian-style nationalized medicine system for the United States — even though he said some opponents have tried to demonize the Canadian system as one that limits care and has long waiting lists.

“I don't find Canadians particularly scary, but I guess some of the opponents of reform think that they make a good boogeyman,” he said.

Obama also offered a strong defense of U.S. efforts to help restore Honduran President Manuel Zelaya after he was ousted in a coup six weeks ago. "The same critics who say that the United States has not intervened enough in Honduras are the same people who say that we're always intervening and the Yankees need to get out of Latin America,” he said. “You can't have it both ways.”

The expectations were low for Obama’s first summit with Mexican President Felipe Calderon and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and the three leaders met them.

As expected, they found common ground on combating a new surge in swine flu this fall, and they did, agreeing in a joint statement to build up public health capabilities and share information about the disease among the countries.

But they still did not reach consensus on lingering trade issues or an approach to rising drug cartel violence along the U.S.-Mexican border. Obama said the three leaders coordinated action on economic recovery. "We reaffirmed the need to reject protectionism," Obama said.

The Canadian and Mexican leaders came to Guadalajara with different grievances for the United States. But Calderon and Harper made their cases to Obama in meetings Sunday night and Monday morning.

During a one-on-one sit-down with Obama, Calderon raised concerns over delayed U.S. aid to Mexico for fighting drugs, as well as the ban on Mexican trucks in the United States.

The money — a $100 million installment of a drug-fighting plan called the Merida Initiative — is being held up in Congress under a provision that requires Mexico to meet human rights standards in its crackdown on drug cartels.

Obama defended Calderon’s handling of the cartels. “I have great confidence in President Calderon's administration applying the law enforcement techniques that are necessary to curb the power of the cartels, but doing so that's consistent with human rights,” Obama said.

The trade issues — the ban on Mexican trucks and a provision in Obama’s $787 billion stimulus plan that favors American companies — are a bit more complicated. Obama is trying to strike a diplomatic balance with his neighbors and one of his key constituencies: labor.

The “Buy American” provision in the stimulus bill has strong backing from the U.S. steel and construction industries, and the Teamsters Union that represents American trucking companies is the lead advocate for the ban on Mexican trucks in the United States.

Harper confronted Obama with concerns from Canadian companies that the “Buy American” provision precludes them from competing for construction projects funded with stimulus money.

At the joint news conference, Obama sought to downplay the concerns, noting that the provisions apply only to spending in the stimulus package. “I think it's also important to keep it in perspective that, in fact, we have not seen some sweeping step toward protectionism,” Obama said.

Obama also seemed to get no closer to an agreement on the Mexican trucking issue. As it stands, the North American Free Trade Agreement requires the United States to allow Mexican trucks to cross the border, but the Teamsters Union has successfully argued to Congress that Mexican trucks are unsafe.

During the Bush administration, Congress adopted a pilot program under which some Mexican trucks were allowed to cross the border. Obama opposed the program as a senator. In March, Congress put an end to the trucking pilot program, under pressure from the Teamsters.

Now Mexican trucks must stop at the border, so the goods they’re carrying can be transferred onto U.S. trucks. Mexico pushed back by tacking additional tariffs onto goods imported by the United States, and Mexican truckers filed a $6 billion lawsuit against the U.S. government for violating NAFTA.

But the leaders were careful to say their disagreements have not hampered their ability to forge a collegial relationship.

The “Three Amigos,” as the participants in the North American Leaders’ Summit have been dubbed, tried to focus on the bright side — swine flu, energy and climate change, the economy.

The now-global swine flu epidemic is believed to have started in Mexico in April just before Obama's last trip to the country, unbeknownst to the White House.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25986_Page2.html#ixzz0NoFcsIPv

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

If you libs think the town halls now are contentious, wait till he tried to ram this through. 

James

Once they are of legal status and can invite their families to move here

So not only will we be giving free (Obama) Health Care to the 15 to 20 million already here illegally, but to their families too,

20 million will turn into 80 million....

Good luck getting as appointment see your Doctor !

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I'm beginning to think pretty soon, the easiest and cheapest way to see a doctor will be to go to med school.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm beginning to think pretty soon, the easiest and cheapest way to see a doctor will be to go to med school.

240 this is why Obama and Pelosi are lying, as usual about illegals not getting on the public plan. 

Once they get amnesty, they will qualify.

Do you have any idea what the heck this country is going to look like if this all passes? 

Hereford

• Getbig V
240 this is why Obama and Pelosi are lying, as usual about illegals not getting on the public plan. 

Once they get amnesty, they will qualify.

Do you have any idea what the heck this country is going to look like if this all passes? 

any non-private medical establishment is going to look like a public health clinic first off.

This is fabulous political maneuvering though.... all the illegals and all their families will surely vote democrat for the next 100 years if this gets thru...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
This is fabulous political maneuvering though.... all the illegals and all their families will surely vote democrat for the next 100 years if this gets thru...

Bottom line, right there.  Nice work summing it up.

Obama is essentially creating 10 to 20 millin new Dem voters.  He might lose 5 million moderates, but that won't matter.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Bottom line, right there.  Nice work summing it up.

Obama is essentially creating 10 to 20 millin new Dem voters.  He might lose 5 million moderates, but that won't matter.

Thats just brilliant, you have just proven the government could give a fuck about you or me or any other American.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
If you have already pay for insured health care you will continue to get insured health care.  Simple as that. 
Abandon every hope...

Hereford

• Getbig V
Thats just brilliant, you have just proven the government could give a fuck about you or me or any other American.
But according to the democrat mantra, those illegals are just as American as you or I. The left will cater to any vote, even those from non-american citizens.

If the democrat party could find a way to let chinese vote, they would force the US to genuflect in a heartbeat.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
any non-private medical establishment is going to look like a public health clinic first off.

No doubt - but how freaking disgusting is this?  

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
If you have already pay for insured health care you will continue to get insured health care.  Simple as that. 

Read the bill, it is not as simple as that. You guys will believe anything that comes out of Obama's mouth, but I bet you haven't bothered to actually read what it says. But why should that surprise me, hell most if not all of congress hasn't read it either.

I have nothing but for contempt for any politician that goes out and pushes this bill and can't even take the time to read it and/or give a cognetive answer to any questions about it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Go read page 16 of the bill.  You are lying like you always do.  If your employer makes any change whatsoever, you are forced to go to the public plan whether you like it or not.    

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
 You do realize that at least in California, illegals already get health care and the health bill covers them as well.
http://www.examiner.com/x-5919-Norfolk-Crime-Examiner~y2009m8d3-Illegal-aliens-will-be-covered-under-Obamas-healthcare-bill
About a week ago, the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee defeated an amendment which would have excluded illegal aliens from Obama’s massive healthcare bill. In addition to replacing our private healthcare system with a government-run program, many have argued that this bill is in fact, a ‘backdoor’ amnesty.

The Democratically-controlled committee voted 23-18 to defeat the measure introduced by Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV), which would have required the use of the existing Income and Eligibility Verification System and the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System, before any care is given. This move would have ensured that only U.S. citizens would receive the taxpayer funded care.

While Obama has made claims that illegal aliens will not be covered by his plan, the following line can be found among the 1018 page bill: Sec. 59B, Pg. 170, Line 1 - “Any NONRESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes.”
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
You do realize that at least in California, illegals already get health care and the health bill covers them as well.
http://www.examiner.com/x-5919-Norfolk-Crime-Examiner~y2009m8d3-Illegal-aliens-will-be-covered-under-Obamas-healthcare-bill
About a week ago, the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee defeated an amendment which would have excluded illegal aliens from Obama’s massive healthcare bill. In addition to replacing our private healthcare system with a government-run program, many have argued that this bill is in fact, a ‘backdoor’ amnesty.

The Democratically-controlled committee voted 23-18 to defeat the measure introduced by Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV), which would have required the use of the existing Income and Eligibility Verification System and the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System, before any care is given. This move would have ensured that only U.S. citizens would receive the taxpayer funded care.

While Obama has made claims that illegal aliens will not be covered by his plan, the following line can be found among the 1018 page bill: Sec. 59B, Pg. 170, Line 1 - “Any NONRESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes.”

And look at the state of CA right now.  Disaster.

Hereford

• Getbig V
And look at the state of CA right now.  Disaster.

Go look up 'Healthy Families" program we have here in CA. It is nothing short of universal healthcare for illegals.

You basically can't go to a public ER here... they are jam-packed with illegals almost everywhere you go.