Author Topic: Why aren't there more Samoans in Bodybuilding?  (Read 19870 times)

AVBG

Re: Why aren't there more Samoans in Bodybuilding?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »
they're busy playing rugby

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
Phenomenal power & athletic genetics. Dreadful BB genetics.
a

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
I remember learning in school (although who knows if the teacher was stupid or not) that alot of native people have a hard time with refined foods like simple carbs and simple sugars because they never saw them till Europeans showed up on the scene. so their body's react alot harsher then a white person which is why they get a higher body fat while eating the same things which is good for gaining power just not so much for the showing the cuts
Odilly

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
I lived and worked with Sonny for many years. I stayed with his family, including, Mum and brothers. His family are all huge. His brother Fritz, came over from the island once, he was 160kg, with no training and the biggest calves I have ever seen. His Dad was 400lb. His other brother Fossie was Pacific boxing champ and travelled all over the world with his sport. I have trained many Samoans over the years. The kindest people on the face of the earth. Like Keith said they are in their own time zone, no hurry at all.

Sonny was amazing, he got big eating twice a day and made the Olympia with hardly any supplementation. He never forgot where he came from and was a proud Samoan. He was a cheif on his island and his Mum's family are like royalty in Samoa. We called Sonny "The King", He was a great man with a huge heart, We miss him every day. RIP King!

Here is shot of Sonny's Me, Chris and Milos, paying a tribute to the great man at this years Aussie pro show.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26:01 PM »
There are tons of Samoans and Tongans in my area.  When you find one that actually will go to the gym and workout the natural strength you will witness is unbeleivable.  Even the ones that dont lift weights are huge and strong.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 06:32:10 PM »
onlyme - what year did you meet Sonny?

It was the year we opened Golds in Honolulu so probably 1990 maybe 91.  He was at the Grand opening party and I think he came back once.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »
There is a Samoan here named 'Q".  AmericanBullDog can attest to this guy.  He is HUGE.  Not tall but VERY wide.  He benches in the 700's.  We were putting on a bench meet at the Ala Moana Center and way back and he entered.  No one had seen him before.  I think he did 600.  Said he never competed before and that was in a t-shirt.  He must be at least 70" around the shoulders.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »
Have you ever seen a small Samoan?  These guys are all huge.  Sure some are as round as they are tall but they have the genetics to lift some serious weight.  I am surprised there are not many more.  Check out the samoans in the NFL.  These guys are not large but they can knock you the fak out with a tackle.

They naturally carry high % of body fat - they are like inuits/eskimos
K

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »
Wow!  I take it you have a lot of bodybuilding stories to Tell, Tony?

At what show did Sonny become pro?  I know he turned pro in 1989 at age 35-36 but wasn't sure which contest.

Hey Matt, We gave Sonny a wild card for the Aussie GP in 1989. He had placed top 10 at the world champs the year before. Wayne DeMilia, saw him at our GP and invited him to compete in the Niagara falls and NOC in 1990. I got to MC both shows which was a great memory for me. Sonny loved travelling and got to see the world courtesy of pro bodybuilding. I remember that first trip to New York. It was a long way from the small town I had grown up in and even further from the island that Sonny remembered.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »
I have lived with a family of samoans.  The Talanoa's.  They had 16 kids.  Dad was the heavyweight boxing champ of Samoa.  One of them played football in Samoa.  Went to open tryout with the Chicago Bears.  Wanted to see how hard it was to play pro American football.  He made the last cut and quit.  Jst wanted to see if he could do it.  Robin his younger brother was 6'6' 320 in high school.  He signed a deal with the Cardinals out of high school.  Got a $26,000 signing bonus.  Got a girl pregnant, got married and moved back to Samoa.  Never showed up to camp.  His older brother is the toughest cop in the Inglewood police force.  Everyone is afraid of that guy.  There biggest brother worked loading trucks.  He was 6'9" and weighed 400+.  This family was awesome.  And someone said when you fight one samoan you fight there whole family is as true as true can get.  No matter what if you fight a samoan and there are any others around you are going to have to fight them all.

They are absolutely the kindest people and polite around until you make them mad.  Then they don't care who you are.  One of my best friends here in Hawaii was Nuu Faaola (Detroit Lions).  He was the boyfriend of Caroline Sapp (Miss America).  He took me around to allot of samoan functions and parties.  He tried to get me to play on the Rugby team but I passed.  We played racquetball everyday at Gold's and killed just about any team we played.  He was fast as hell.  Here in Kona just about everyone is Samoan or Tongan.  Big and strong people for sure.  And most of them are the farthest thing from being lazy.  If work HAS to be done they will do it.  But, if it can wait they WILL take their time.

Nuu played for New York Jets and Miami Dolphins. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 06:57:51 PM »
There is a Samoan here named 'Q".  AmericanBullDog can attest to this guy.  He is HUGE.  Not tall but VERY wide.  He benches in the 700's.  We were putting on a bench meet at the Ala Moana Center and way back and he entered.  No one had seen him before.  I think he did 600.  Said he never competed before and that was in a t-shirt.  He must be at least 70" around the shoulders.

Kiu Tuita used to routinely incline bench press 6 plates for reps of 5.  Incredibly strong, and an animal. 

Pentatonic

• Getbig I
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
I've seen many large Samoans, but I've never seen a lean one.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
from what I have read and heard..bodyfat acts like a bench shirt..so these guys with their 45% have natural advantage

once were warriors is one of the best movies ever

"A family descended from Maori warriors is bedeviled by a violent father and the societal problems of being treated as outcasts"

colonializism really fucked their people over...

Here comes the money shot

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
No, Derreck Boyer was from the Fiji Islands. That other Strongman who was 6'4" and weighed 385 pounds was Samoan. can't remember his name.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
The NFL pays more that's why. There are plenty of samoans in the NFL.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »

<insert racist joke> Im guessing maybe something about chacing lions or running from the police ::)

Maybe you developed speed via natural selection picking only the fastest africans who were able to run from lions and what not?  ;)

The dude that just won the boston marathon is amazing.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »
So basically, there was one purebred Polynesian bodybuilder: Sonny Schmidt.

All the rest you guys are listing (rugby, strongman, powerlifting, lacross, underwater basket weaving, et-al...) are not bodybuilders or have mixed blood.  ::)

Sonny was part German, so no full blooded Soles other than Tevita Aholele.  Polynesians can't diet well either, and they can make a ton more jack playing football. 

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »
Isn't Charles Ray Arde polynesian?

GregorM

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »
There is a strong Samoan (and other Polynesian) presence in bodybuilding in New Zealand - admittedly not the world epicentre for the sport!

Gregor

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 12:43:14 AM »
Ask The Rock
I am a mini beast

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 01:06:47 AM »
Isn't Charles Ray Arde polynesian?

He is filipino. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 01:08:24 AM »
Ask The Rock

Rock's grandfather is a friend of the family.  "High Chief" Peter Maivia.  His Dad, Rocky Johnson was a big dude as well. 

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 02:05:42 AM »
from what I have read and heard..bodyfat acts like a bench shirt..so these guys with their 45% have natural advantage

once were warriors is one of the best movies ever

"A family descended from Maori warriors is bedeviled by a violent father and the societal problems of being treated as outcasts"

colonializism really fucked their people over...

Once Were Warriors is an awesome movie, been ages since i have seen it on.

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 02:11:08 AM »
Have you ever seen a small Samoan?  These guys are all huge.  Sure some are as round as they are tall but they have the genetics to lift some serious weight.  I am surprised there are not many more.  Check out the samoans in the NFL.  These guys are not large but they can knock you the fak out with a tackle.
They are more suited to "powerlifting" Hope this helps...

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 02:12:11 AM »
Somoan people are big and strong but they don't have the frame (small joints, good lines) to be a good bodybuilder.

I lived in Australia theres a lot of Somoan people there. The somoan people in the USA are nice and friendly and respectful, but the Somoans in Australia think they're Compton thugs or something. It's annoying.