Author Topic: only atheists are allowed to post in this thread.  (Read 106190 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: tbombz facebook post from today & free religious sermon by MOS!
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
A way to avoid hell. You dont repent and give yourself over to JC, youre on a one-way trip to hang out with Satan for all eternity. Thats a pretty strong motivator to dump your sins on God.

This probably works well for people who believe in those places. I'm somewhat spiritual, but heaven and hell are not part of my religious beliefs. I am more of a ashes to ashes and dust to dust person. Why wouldn't God in all his benevolence forgive your sins based on how you conduct yourself over time. Contrition is fine. It is okay to feel bad that you've sinned. God is "all knowing" and that being the case, knows that you regret your sins or that you don't.

Sinning is a human condition. Pretty much everyone has sinned at some point in their lives.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »
Huh?

Saved means dumping it on God. Otherwise, what was the whole cross thing about?

Okay, so dumping is probably not the best way to put it. But when you ask for forgiveness and believe you've been forgiven just for the asking, there's some transfer of responsibility going on. Most people know people who sin, ask for forgiveness and then go right back and sin all over again. Could that be because they believe their sins have been completely absolved, perhaps because they preformed and act of contrition?

Sometimes living with the knowledge of your past sins helps you to not repeat them. There are many different concepts of what folks believe is a sin. What's a sin to me may not be one to you and vice versa.

In my opinion, "the whole cross thing" was about the politics going on at that time.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
All Tbombz aside, some really nice discussions in this thread..

"1"

Dave D

• Getbig V
Re: tbombz facebook post from today
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks, yes the question i asked about god being selective in his interventions, was just one of the many possible rhetorical questions i could ask in order to highlight the contradictory and stupid reasoning used by the religious. I don't mean to sound like a prick or personally attack anyone though, i should add. It's just that the thinking behind organised religious belief is so clearly flawed.
Like you said, the Christian idea of this all is to try and make sense of something that is beyond our full comprehension just now, and people have the right to believe any nonsense they like, but they do not have the right to try and pass this nonsense off as fact, or assert that their delusions are a truth that will result in our eternal torture if we choose to reject it, as Tbombz is doing online.

I hear you dude and I respect your beliefs.

As far as Tbombz goes I hope he has had a life changing encounter with Jesus Christ, but his current personality, as SF1900 pointed out,  is very much the same as he has always been; in the sense that he's extremely opinionated and passionate about his beliefs.   His "passion" as a Christian is the same as it was as a know it all community college student and as a NASA developed bunny suit wearing blatant homosexual.

I'm assuming he has many insecurities and that's why he always comes across as so matter of fact. Ultimately, for most here, this is just another "gimmick/phase" for him and we're just waiting for him to fail,  and he will because failure is also a part of the Christian walk, as he always has. The proof of his conversion will come with time.

But as of now he is still a blowhard, even though his intentions are probably good.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »

One wonders who is he trying to convince, himself or others?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »
new update. He is still not writing about meth, bareback sex or bunny suits?  ???

Because the magical sky daddy's primary concerns are human sexual thoughts and copulation...

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Because the magical sky daddy's primary concerns are human sexual thoughts and copulation...

This was from the movie "Jesus Camp." The adults in this movie were absolutely batshit crazy.

Indoctrinating little children to the point of making them cry.

X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
Felt bad for the bottom kid. He couldn't reconcile his doubts, and you could see the guilt and whatnot just ripping him apart. That, on top of the fear of eternal torture he's promised.

Many years ahead of confusion, therapy, and all the other bullshit simply because God made him an atheist.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
This was from the movie "Jesus Camp." The adults in this movie were absolutely batshit crazy.

Indoctrinating little children to the point of making them cry.

I couldn't make it through this movie, there was  definitely some odd behavior and people in this.  It really brought out the religious fanatic stereotype.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »
I couldn't make it through this movie, there was  definitely some odd behavior and people in this.  It really brought out the religious fanatic stereotype.

Didn't they actually pray to, or for, G.W., or am I making this up?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »
Felt bad for the bottom kid. He couldn't reconcile his doubts, and you could see the guilt and whatnot just ripping him apart. That, on top of the fear of eternal torture he's promised.

Many years ahead of confusion, therapy, and all the other bullshit simply because God made him an atheist.

Yup, its absolutely disgusting what they did to that kid. He was asking good questions for his age, and was railroaded and made to cry and feel guilty. Disgusting behavior by the adults on that show. Religious nutters.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
Didn't they actually pray to, or for, G.W., or am I making this up?

Yes, they prayed for GW.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »

It was painful to watch.  :-\
X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
Yup, its absolutely disgusting what they did to that kid. He was asking good questions for his age, and was railroaded and made to cry and feel guilty. Disgusting behavior by the adults on that show. Religious nutters.

To a certain degree, I can relate.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
My normal answer would be to save the apologetics for someone whose IQ is below that of dinosaur fossils. But let's have some fun, shall we?

https://carm.org/is-mustard-seed-smallest-of-all-seeds

Right, right... Jesus was speaking proverbially. ::) It's funny how the Bible is the inerrant word of the Lord when the text suits your purposes, but full of allegory and veiled meaning when the text doesn't suit your purposes.

Mustard Tree
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_Tree

In other news: "Hamburgers contain no ham. Getbig patron Parker surprised!"

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
One thing I have always noticed.  The more someone post about God on their FB page, the more fucked up their life is. 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
My normal answer would be to save the apologetics for someone whose IQ is below that of dinosaur fossils. But let's have some fun, shall we?

Right, right... Jesus was speaking proverbially. ::) It's funny how the Bible is the inerrant word of the Lord when the text suits your purposes, but full of allegory and veiled meaning when the text doesn't suit your purposes.

In other news: "Hamburgers contain no ham. Getbig patron Parker surprised!"

Hahahahahaa  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is the KJV of Mark 4:30-32

Mark 4:30-32King James Version (KJV)

30 And he said, Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?

31 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth:

32 But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it.

And here is except of an article:
https://diogenesii.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/what-is-the-smallest-seed-in-the-world/
Some have argued, despite the clear language of the quote, that Jesus was only referring to the seeds known to his audience. Well then, was the mustard seed the smallest seed known in Palestine? No, not even in Jesus’ time. There would be numerous plants familiar to his audience with smaller seeds, of which the best example would be the seed of the black orchid. And just for the record, the mustard seed doesn’t grow to be the greatest of all the shrubs on Earth, either.

The point of this observation is not to attack Jesus of Nazareth; the point is to attack those who would put words in his mouth. Jesus was not a scientist. Keeping in mind the fact that the Bible has been copied and translated so many times that it is likely we will never know for sure what he actually said, I think we can agree that Jesus spoke allegorically and not literally when he said that the mustard plant has the smallest seed on Earth, and that it is the largest shrub on Earth. Nor did Jesus ever claim that the Earth was created 6,000 years ago with species unchanging and in their modern forms – he did not declare evolution to be false.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
1 Corinthians 2:14
14 But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

Well, isn't that too according to God's plan? Don't forget, he capricioulsy hardens the hearts of those whom he doesn't feel merciful towards, so that they will not listen to God's word (Romans 9:18) and will them punish them for their "failure" to listen.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
Well, isn't that too according to God's plan? Don't forget, he capricioulsy hardens the hearts of those whom he doesn't feel merciful towards, so that they will not listen to God's word (Romans 9:18) and will them punish them for their "failure" to listen.

Exodus 9:12
And he also hardened Pharoahs heart so that His name would be known.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
Exodus 9:12
And he also hardened Pharoahs heart so that His name would be known.

Oh, that makes it all better... couldn't he just hire Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce?

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »
Oh, that makes it all better... couldn't he just hire Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce?

Lol.

Good point, He could have done it any other way, He could have stopped Eve from eating the fruit, Cain from killing Able, any of the wars that Israel had, the children that were slaughtered by Herrod when Jesus was born, the martyrdom of the apostles, the persecution and imprisonment of Paul, the tyranny of the Catholic church, the establishment of radical Islam,  Dorians last Olympia win and Nicolas Cage's movie career. But He didn't.

You're making good points and asking some tough questions. 
Thanks because that kind of stuff needs to be done.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »

The bible is quite clearly an antiquated and contradictory piece of fantasy, written by fools, which at best is used to give the illiterate, brainwashed and desperate a poor understanding of the universe, which has since been answered much more thoroughly by science, and at it's worst (and most common) is a divisive and oppressive ideology that's used as a form of power by controlling the minds of the stupid.

Jesus Christ, are you 12 years old?

Debate 101, you don't attack your opponent based on your "rad" opinion.

Step 2, don't throw out pseudo science power vocab like "The bible is quite clearly an antiquated and contradictory piece of fantasy, written by fools, which at best is used to give the illiterate, brainwashed and desperate a poor understanding of the universe"

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:48 PM »
Lol.

Good point, He could have done it any other way, He could have stopped Eve from eating the fruit, Cain from killing Able, any of the wars that Israel had, the children that were slaughtered by Herrod when Jesus was born, the martyrdom of the apostles, the persecution and imprisonment of Paul, the tyranny of the Catholic church, the establishment of radical Islam,  Dorians last Olympia win and Nicolas Cage's movie career. But He didn't.

I think we can all agree that out of all those things he could have stopped by didn't, this is the most serious one!

You're making good points and asking some tough questions. 
Thanks because that kind of stuff needs to be done.

If the conversation gets more heated, I think I'll move over to the Religious board. Don't want to detract from questions about blasting quads and getting shredded intercostals.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »

Fairly sure, we as Christians are not supposed to jump in and start judging and condemning other people, that's up to God. Something about cleaning out the spec in one's eye beforehand.
all drugs - TPPIIP

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »
The bible is quite clearly an antiquated and contradictory piece of fantasy

What the fuck does that even mean? And how is fantasy antiquated, if it's not, you know, real?  ::)