Author Topic: Is is bad gym etiquette to remind unrepentant repetitive offenders  (Read 4085 times)

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
Re: Is is bad gym etiquette to remind unrepentant repetitive offenders
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
When ever someone for example is on a bench and I ask if I could work in, the right answer would be "of course" but once in a while you get the a-hole who is doing a "circuit" and says "sure, I just have 2 more sets then you can have it" and those two sets takes 10min, thats when I lose it and start braking when they had on there, when that happens.....then they could work in with me.
Coach - Please answer my question in this thread - "Leg press 1500lbs Kandahar, Afghanistan NATO gym"
U

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
When ever someone for example is on a bench and I ask if I could work in, the right answer would be "of course" but once in a while you get the a-hole who is doing a "circuit" and says "sure, I just have 2 more sets then you can have it" and those two sets takes 10min, thats when I lose it and start braking when they had on there, when that happens.....then they could work in with me.

The only time I can think of that working in doesn't work is when there is a time issue and the weight difference is large.  Or if one person has sea monkey issues.

But to PNS, I think you telling those kids to put their weights away was fine.  I think there is a lot to how you approach and word things that will determine a reaction.   If you mention it like they must be unaware of the "rules" and you are trying to help them you'll get a more favorable reaction imo.
R

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 08:31:19 AM »
 If you mention it like they must be unaware of the "rules" and you are trying to help them you'll get a more favorable reaction imo.

i don't think so, then they'll just yes me and do the same thing over and over thinking i have no spine

maybe now they will still do it but i will tell the manager

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
Problem 1 - No one knows or teaches gym etiquette anymore.

Problem 2 - The owners or management of the gym should give 3 warnings at the most about putting weights back or get kicked out....period.

Example, if you've ever been to Golds Venice you know the entire gym is a complete disaster with unmatched dumbbells thrown all over the floor yet the management does not give two shit on how the gym is maintained. 

I remember back in the good old days when you didn't have to teach common courtesy and I was training at Mits Kawashima's (Arnold's long time friend) hole in the wall gym. That little Jap would yell at you from his desk if you didn't put the weights away. Hell, he'd even yell at you if he saw you doing an exercise wrong. Don't even think about piling on plates on the leg press and doing 1/8 presses. I remember when Pumping Iron came out and everybody started doing cable cross overs because we all sighed in awe like little girls watching Arnold do them. When Mits saw me with my shallow chest and prison concentration camp built body he just shook his head in disgust and said, "Oh shit, another one who thinks he'll be the next Arnold doing cables. Hey Pellius, maybe when you get some meat on those bones you can do cables. For now try lifting weights for a change (pointing at the bench).

Fucker would get sued nowadays. As much as I hate getting old I wouldn't trade those days for anything. Certainly not for being young in today's generation.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »

Remember the days when working in was just part of the program and asking a complete stranger to spot was par for the course. It's when gyms all became Health Clubs and they started to include air condition and "cardio" equipment that things all went to hell. My gym has one squat rack but nine TVs.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
Problem 1 - No one knows or teaches gym etiquette anymore.

Problem 2 - The owners or management of the gym should give 3 warnings at the most about putting weights back or get kicked out....period.

Example, if you've ever been to Golds Venice you know the entire gym is a complete disaster with unmatched dumbbells thrown all over the floor yet the management does not give two shit on how the gym is maintained. 
Problem 2 - We do, u can be suspended on your second warning for not pitting weights back or stripping a bar, and it's enforced on everyone, no matter how long a member

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
That's why i NEVER ask if i can work in.

Hate when it happens to me, some dork coming up, asks if he can "do one set inbetween", then sits down and it takes him 5 minutes to perform 3 crappy reps.

I rest only 30-60 seconds between sets, no way anyone can come inbetween.

I also never ask to work in, i want the machine/weights/bench all for me, if the bench is occupied, there are enough alternatives, dumbell presses, flies, pec deck, machine press, hammer strength....
I fucking hate people waiting for you to finish a set or sneak around the machine for minutes eyeing you to finish.

I avoid as much as possible asking someone if I can work in. But when I see some ass clown tapping away at his cell and/or BS-ing with his friend I ask how many more sets he has. He'll usually say two or three and then start working. That's when I'll smile and say, half jokingly and in a friendly manner, "Hah, I knew that would get you moving again."

MikMaq

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
First off dont turn the request into a physical/verbal contest. Inform the guys that it's a major health code/business insurance violation, and you are asserting the law of the land.
If they don't comply inform staff/management you will go to inspector/regulator if they don't loose there memberships. Make sure you stay consistent and don't bluff.

If that can't be done, simply get to a higher end gym, relocate to a better country. Because the proper channels do exist for this stuff with smallest amount of effort. I've learned from working with an on the job injury, the system is there but to many people make idle bluffs without follow through. If that seems to much work your just on an ego trip and should stfu.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
I remember back in the good old days when you didn't have to teach common courtesy and I was training at Mits Kawashima's (Arnold's long time friend) hole in the wall gym. That little Jap would yell at you from his desk if you didn't put the weights away. Hell, he'd even yell at you if he saw you doing an exercise wrong. Don't even think about piling on plates on the leg press and doing 1/8 presses. I remember when Pumping Iron came out and everybody started doing cable cross overs because we all sighed in awe like little girls watching Arnold do them. When Mits saw me with my shallow chest and prison concentration camp built body he just shook his head in disgust and said, "Oh shit, another one who thinks he'll be the next Arnold doing cables. Hey Pellius, maybe when you get some meat on those bones you can do cables. For now try lifting weights for a change (pointing at the bench).

Fucker would get sued nowadays. As much as I hate getting old I wouldn't trade those days for anything. Certainly not for being young in today's generation.

Hell yes.....I remember going to World Gym in the late 70's-early 80's and Joe Gold had an upstairs office over looking the floor with PA and sliding window, the man tolerated no shit from anyone, he would yelling at people all the time to put the weights away, if he had to ask more than once you were gone, no if, and's or but's about it. And when Joe wasn't there, Zabo and Ed Guliani were there to take over.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
I'm sure Squadfather would have handled it the right way.
~

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
I usually go into a Passive Aggressive meltdown yelling at no one in particular about people not putting their weights away while I put them away.

After I get them in their proper places I do a few most musculars in the mirror while hissing and then go about my workout.

The gym usually stays pretty picked up for a couple weeks after that.
  ;D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
I do not care if people do not put DB's or plates back as long as they are not thrown in middle of floor. In a pile or leaning against a wall or bench etc if fine by me

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
The worst really is that i have never been to a gym where the trainers were able to teach exercises correctly or even dared to correct members.

Problem no 1 is that trainers don't really know by themselves and 2nd that mostly they are underpaid twinky student bitches who don't give a shit and don't look like they work out.

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
Did it lead to any fist-in-the-dentals activity ?

no, but probably lead to some cock-in-the-dentals activity

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
We've had this topic before, any time I have reminded someone to put their weights away, they always do, if you are polite about it nobody is going to give you shit, if you act like an ass about it, expect that attitude in return. Quite simple really.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!