Author Topic: "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama?  (Read 964 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
"Transformers": A Swipe at Obama?
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
Awsome hahahah.......please Mr giant robot, lets talk"

Variety's David Cohen saw the latest "Transformers" movie --- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" --- and filed this report on its reference to President Obama, but not, at least in his eyes, in a good way.

Cohen writes, "So as usual in these movies, the federal bureaucrats are portrayed as annoying if not villainous. The President's man, "Galloway," is a bespectacled blowhard who becomes an obstacle to our brave fighting men and their alliance with the noble Autobots. Operating specifically under presidential authority, he makes all kinds of mischief. He says the President wants to try "diplomacy" against the evil Decepticons and hints the President would consider handing over Shia LaBouf's character to be killed by them. He eventually is ditched by the fighting men (tricked into parachuting out the back of a transport). All this is par for the course in this kind of movie. In the first, there was a Rumsfeldian secretary of defense (played by Jon Voight) and a bit of dialogue from "the President" clearly meant to be Bush, with an obvious Bush impression on the dialogue.

"However, if memory serves, no real politicians were named in the first movie. The SecDef isn't Rumsfeld. The president is not called by name.

"In this movie, exactly one real-life politician is named: "President Obama." They went out of their way to make sure they named the craven, obstructionist president as Obama."

So what gives? I haven't seen the movie, so I am relying on David's take. But it strikes me as a bit unusual given the popularity of the president and the fact that so many people involved in the pic contributed to his campaign.

Director Michael Bay shows no financial record of having supported any candidate in last year's election. Writer Roberto Orci contributed to Hillary Clinton in the primary and Obama in the general, and his writing partner Ehren Kruger donated to Clinton. Along with Paramount, DreamWorks is the studio behind "Transformers," and Steven Spielberg and Stacey Snider not only contributed to Obama's campaign, but donated to his inaugural committee. Paramount chairman Brad Grey contributed to Obama in August, 2008.

A Paramount spokeswoman was a bit surprised when I ran this by her, and suggested that not everyone is going to come away with the same interpretation. Update: She also said that the filmmakers' reason for naming Obama was in "keeping the film as current as possible," noting that the movie also makes reference to the swine flu.

Bay was asked about the reference at a recent press junket, and he recounted meeting Obama at an airport early in the campaign and telling him he "liked what he had to say." Asked about the depiction of the president with a dim-witted, "kind of stupid" national security adviser, Bay said, "Remember, it is summer fun, by the way." (video from L.A. Times below).

L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »
hey, a movie designed for 13-year olds dissed obama.  this is big news.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
I don't know about all this.  I'll comment when I see it.  But it does look like it's going to be an awesome movie.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »
I don't know about all this.  I'll comment when I see it.  But it does look like it's going to be an awesome movie.

You bet your ass you dirty pinko.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
hey, a movie designed for 13-year olds dissed obama.  this is big news.
yes b/c all the ignorant palin shit you spam the board with is award winning...dumb ass

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
yes b/c all the ignorant palin shit you spam the board with is award winning...dumb ass

why did palin re-pay the state 8 grand today?

i thought she was innocent of all charges of $ abuse.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
You bet your ass you dirty pinko.
lol ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
why did palin re-pay the state 8 grand today?

i thought she was innocent of all charges of $ abuse.

Was she not cleared in the investigation?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
Was she not cleared in the investigation?

OJ was cleared in double murder.

I spose you think he was innocent too ?  ;)

She repaid the money.  You don't hand someone 8 grand if you're innocent.  yes, the 'alaska personnel' board let her off the hook. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 05:40:45 AM »
OJ was cleared in double murder.

I spose you think he was innocent too ?  ;)

She repaid the money.  You don't hand someone 8 grand if you're innocent.  yes, the 'alaska personnel' board let her off the hook. 
actually he was innocent, remember thats what that whole trial thing was about.

sure you do and if you are proven innocent and you still do it doesnt that make it a stand up thing to do?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »
They never mentioned Cheney and Bush specifically but they actually mention Barry by name and make him appear weak. The movie is supposed to suck, not gonna stop me from seeing it, but I found this interesting. FT Bliss had a number of guys in the movie, when they filmed it last year.
L

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
make him appear weak.

Like every other thing in your little bubble world tries to do?

Oh look, the sky is blue... cause Obama is weak. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
SPOILER ALERT....sort of:

"Ask your president this question.  What if we leave and you are wrong?" - Optimus Prime

A reference to Obama pulling the US military out of Iraq, anybody?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
SPOILER ALERT....sort of:

"Ask your president this question.  What if we leave and you are wrong?" - Optimus Prime

A reference to Obama pulling the US military our of Iraq, anybody?

:)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »
Cool pic!   :)