Author Topic: Jolt(sleeping related)  (Read 5139 times)

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Jolt(sleeping related)
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
Just as you are about to fall asleep do you ever get jolted? Like your whole body just gets a sudden jolt out of nowhere?  I've always wondered that is.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Jolt(sleeping related)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
yup

pugalist666

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
always happens to me ,

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
Sometimes. Your arm just suddenly flys into the air.  ;D

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
According to experts, it's all part of a phenomenon known as sleep start. Sleepstart, ironically is an occurrence that even scientists can't fully explain and don't totally understand. However the most widely accepted scientific speculation and explanation is that the brain misinterprets the relaxation process that muscles
experience as you drift into sleep. As a result the brain then notifies, or rather, alerts the muscles, and encourages them to suddenly tense up in an effort to prevent the sensation of "falling".

google is my friend I guess

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »
I strike the top part of the bed with my fist sometimes. Another time my hands flew up in the ceiling in the car where I fell asleep dreaming I was doing front raises.  So it's normal.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »
I was having a dream where i was about to get into a fight. I threw an overhand right, woke up mid-punch and punch the night stand. :-\
A

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
Cocaine usage?
U

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
I think it's when you fall asleep just before paralysis hits, so when you move in your dream you actually move and wake up too.

The opposite is sleep paralysis - where you wake up but are still in paralysis for a few seconds and can't move even though you're awake.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
Yes.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
According to experts, it's all part of a phenomenon known as sleep start. Sleepstart, ironically is an occurrence that even scientists can't fully explain and don't totally understand. However the most widely accepted scientific speculation and explanation is that the brain misinterprets the relaxation process that muscles
experience as you drift into sleep. As a result the brain then notifies, or rather, alerts the muscles, and encourages them to suddenly tense up in an effort to prevent the sensation of "falling".

...this is almost right.

Primates as a rule suffer from this... and so do most species descended from arboreal (tree-dwelling) ancestors. The reaction is a sort of emergency default "grip" position which stops creatures sleeping in trees or on branches from falling when they drift off to sleep.

As an experiment you can make the reaction worse by sleeping in an unbalanced position. Something as simple as placing a thick pillow under your back which you then slide off during sleep (a slightly inclined bed also works). Sleep researchers usually trigger this by pulling something out of the closed hand of a sleeping patient; or by suddenly dropping the whole bed a few inches.

If you suffer very badly from this (some people even wake up) then sleeping between some piled up pillows and holding another pillow usually helps. Some people swear by "grip-position gloves": gloves glued to a small thick handle, when you wear them you can't let go of the handle and so feel secure in a sort of sunconscious way.

Hope this helps...

The Luke

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
It's in the jimmy-leg family of sleep disorders.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »
...this is almost right.

Primates as a rule suffer from this... and so do most species descended from arboreal (tree-dwelling) ancestors. The reaction is a sort of emergency default "grip" position which stops creatures sleeping in trees or on branches from falling when they drift off to sleep.

As an experiment you can make the reaction worse by sleeping in an unbalanced position. Something as simple as placing a thick pillow under your back which you then slide off during sleep (a slightly inclined bed also works). Sleep researchers usually trigger this by pulling something out of the closed hand of a sleeping patient; or by suddenly dropping the whole bed a few inches.

If you suffer very badly from this (some people even wake up) then sleeping between some piled up pillows and holding another pillow usually helps. Some people swear by "grip-position gloves": gloves glued to a small thick handle, when you wear them you can't let go of the handle and so feel secure in a sort of sunconscious way.

Hope this helps...

The Luke
Brutal SUCKMYMUSCLE gimmick. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
Brutal SUCKMYMUSCLE gimmick. ::)

I'm not a gimmick... remember back in 2006 when my picture was in a couple of American nespapers and I was interviewed on NPR?

The Luke

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
jsut when she's asleep, i sock my wife in the cocanut and pretend that it was involuntary. does that count?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
I'm not a gimmick... remember back in 2006 when my picture was in a couple of American nespapers and I was interviewed on NPR?

The Luke
OK so SUCKYOURMUSCLE is your gimmick........whatever.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »

Check our posting times... I'm in Ireland.

But aside from that, sucky is a moron with no science knowledge at all... just poorly miscomprehended Google-fu.

The Luke

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »

"The Fluke" Outed by Chaos.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
Check our posting times... I'm in Ireland.

But aside from that, sucky is a moron with no science knowledge at all... just poorly miscomprehended Google-fu.

The Luke
Are there alot of bigfoots in Ireland?  Does Goudy know about this?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Alex23

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:24:46 PM »
Are there alot of bigfoots in Ireland?  Does Goudy know about this?

The Luke needs the mom's basement beaten the shit out of him.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
NPR appearance  :D :D

-Also claims to be the biggest guy in the gym, although we're also told that he's no more than 5'4-5'5.

-Has a phD in physics.

-expert on everything including genetics, religion, bodybuilding, etc

-Hunts bigfoot in his spare time, LOL!!!

really I'm only messing with you LUKE, u're a good gay at heart. But some of your claims are ridiculous nevertheless ;)
follow the arrows

Alex23

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
Steering this cool thread back.

I'm glad you bring this up brother; it happens to me pretty often; happened a couple of days ago.

Usually happens when I "dream" that I'm falling and waking up right before I hit the groun or getting hit by something sudden (no homo).

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
The Luke needs the mom's basement beaten the shit out of him.
Isn't Okami im Ireland also? I'm sure we could get someone over there to slap the furry creature out of him.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Alex23

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »
Isn't Okami im Ireland also? I'm sure we could get someone over there to slap the furry creature out of him.

Okami would definitely slap the calcium out of his teeth... too bad he's on timeout for "white superiority"... (double edge argument right there.. )

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
"The Fluke" Outed by Chaos.

Okay, okay... I get it. Alex23 is retaliating because I exposed his gh15 community account, and chaos is annoyed at me because he's some sort of Jeebus-believer and I posted the instructions for how to make your own Turin Shroud on the Religion board.

Alex, you're a computer guy... do some sort of comparison of my posts and sucky's or some isp check or some such. He's in America (I presume) and I'm in Ireland. Just comparing our posting times would suffice.

Besides, my only interactions with him have been arguing with him about his moronic theories about evolution and deleting a bundle of his ad hominem attacks on the Natural Board a few years ago.

Don't have any gimmicks, never have had a gimmick... but don't want to be compared to suckmymuscle... he's a gobshite.

The Luke