Author Topic: sissy squats  (Read 2652 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
sissy squats
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
These are great!  I was just doing them with bodyweight with heels raised 2 inches or so.  The cool part is that you can vary the weight during the ROM by raising your hands above your head at the top and lowering them to your waist at the bottom. 

Killed my quads.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: sissy squats
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
started doing them 2 weeks ago after reading an article on them.  Agreed - killed mine too!

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
started doing them 2 weeks ago after reading an article on them.  Agreed - killed mine too!

t-nation article?  That's where I read it, had pretty much stopped going to that site because of the constant biotest propaganda, but I checked it out recently and was glad that I did.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
they are called sissy squats for a reason

just sit down and do leg extensions

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »

yes they are named after Sisyphus:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/real_men_do_sissy_squats

Excerpt:

Let's get the obvious out of the way first: The sissy squat isn't for sissies. In fact, the name has nothing to do with the sexual orientation of people who do it, and everything to do with the mythical Greek king who inspired it — and who, let me tell you, was no poofter.

Sisyphus, as the legend goes, was the king of Corinth, and pretty much a total dick. He was greedy, he killed travelers and guests (the ultimate crime in Greek mythology), and he seduced his own niece. But what really put his balls in the wringer was the time he tried to cock-block Zeus.

Avid readers of Greek mythology know that Zeus, leader of the gods, combined a temper worse than John McCain's with the judicial instincts of Vlad the Impaler. Mess with him once, and he messed with you for eternity.

He sent Sisyphus to Tartarus, the lowest part of the underworld, and gave him a single task: push, pull, or carry a big stone up the side of the highest mountain, and leave it at the top.

Unbeknownst to Sisyphus, Zeus rigged the game so the former king could never actually reach the top with the stone. Each day he rolled it up as far as he could, and each day the gods arranged for him to fail, sending the rock rolling back down.

In its own way, weight lifting is a Sisyphean task — we lift weights day after day, week after week, year after year, and the weights never stay lifted. They always end up back where they started.

But that's not why the ultimate victim of "training to failure" has an exercise named after him. It's because of what all that work did for a certain part of his physique.

When you see Sisyphus depicted in ancient or modern art, he's almost always shown with bulging thighs, the finest pair of legs in ancient Corinth. He was the Tom Platz of classical mythology.

I saw my first rendering of Sisyphus some 50 years ago, and like any impressionable musclehead I was amazed at his leg development. The drawing I saw showed Sisyphus pushing with his back to the rock, digging his heels in for leverage.

I first heard about the sissy squat in 1960. An article in Joe Weider's Muscle Power magazine described the technique and mentioned the bodybuilders who used it — guys like Steve Reeves, Doug Strohl, Reg Lewis, and Monty Wolford.

I tried it and gained an inch on each of my thighs in less than three weeks. Even today, with all the options we have in our gyms and all the information that we didn't have in my youth, I consider it one of the most productive exercises you can do for your quads.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
I do them every now and then..
L

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »

Actually they are named because you feel like a sissy after doing them.  No weight yet your legs are killing you

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
Prob sore cos new stimulus

Hell if i done concentration curls id be sore cos i dont do them.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »
If I tried to envision an exercise that was worse for your knees I couldn't do it.  Seriously, just a horrible horrible exercise from the standpoint of knee safety.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
thought the same myself mate

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
These are great!  I was just doing them with bodyweight with heels raised 2 inches or so.  The cool part is that you can vary the weight during the ROM by raising your hands above your head at the top and lowering them to your waist at the bottom. 

Killed my quads.

Awesome stuff. We used to have a "sissy squat" machine at my old gym.....I miss it. It's funny, that they are called sissy squats, cause I NEVER saw any sissies doing them. Probably cause they are both difficult and painful.
HAHA, RON.....

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
If I tried to envision an exercise that was worse for your knees I couldn't do it.  Seriously, just a horrible horrible exercise from the standpoint of knee safety.

Picture a leg extension machine and someone using said machine for its intended purpose, if you can manage that, then you have envisioned an exercise that is far worse for your knees.

ChinoXL

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
if you actually think sissy squats aren't a useful tool then you need to get over the name and become comfortable with your sexuality, because shortly thereafter you will become a believer.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
doesn't seem like the best idea to have your knees extending that far over your toes but hey...............whatev er floats your boat.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »
Ever try to squat deep and not let your knees travel over your toes with a few hundred on your back, free bar (not Smith)?

It's impossible for me to do it. I've never seen anyone do it. Not saying it isn't possible, just that most of us have knees that travel over the toes in deep squat position. Nothing wrong with it either.

A sissy squat is something else though. Not a natural strength curve at all. When the hell would you ever use a sissy squat position in real life to lift something? Plus, the fact that you can't overload the muscles with serious weight makes it useless in my book.
yeah but that small amount isn't going to cause problems, extending them 3 fuccking feet over your toes while up on the balls of your feet is another thing.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
Beyond belief

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
hahahahhaa, anything to get out of actually putting a bar on your back and squatting.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:23:33 PM »
hahahahhaa, anything to get out of actually putting a bar on your back and squatting.

Thats for fags. Real men rep out bodyweightx50 with perfect "mind muscle" connection.  :'(

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »
Thats for fags. Real men rep out bodyweightx50 with perfect "mind muscle" connection.  :'(
;D

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »

try getting even 5 reps with perfect alignment deep and arms extended straight overhead.  Don't underestimate the importance of torque.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
Sissy squats are very hard when done properly.  They kill my quads in a way that barbell back squats never could. 

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »
doesn't seem like the best idea to have your knees extending that far over your toes but hey...............whatev er floats your boat.

I can see your objection.  It makes a lot of sense and I thought about it.  Lets look at the pic again:

It would be bad if his knees were that far over his toes and his feet were flat, but by raising the heels more of the force gets distributed to the hips.  If you don't believe me try it out you will see that you feel it more in the top of the quads so long as you don't utilize excessive forward knee drift.