Author Topic: Pain in forearm from curls  (Read 52071 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Pain in forearm from curls
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »
I get a sharp radiating pain in my forearm (ulnar side) after doing curls.  I have done ez bar, dumbells, straight bar...they all produce pain and it only goes away after a few days rest.

Will this ever go away?  I am guessing no since it had been happening for 10 years.

ztinman

• Getbig II
Re: Pain in forearm from curls
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
I used to get this and u bumped up my calcium intake to around 3grams and it hasnt returned

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
I used to get this a lot......it was similar to having shin splints,only on the forearms.

I was going way too heavy.

I`d rest up until it was gone,then go lighter with the focus on slow reps feeling the biceps do the brunt of the work,and squeezing at the top, followed by a slow negative.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
go the john grimek route put a bench under the lat machine attach bar and curl away while laying on back. it didn't hurt his size or shape much.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
like this ;D ;D hope this helps not said in a wiseass way.
F

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:10 PM »
I used to get this a lot......it was similar to having shin splints,only on the forearms.

I`d rest up until it was gone,then go lighter with the focus on slow reps feeling the biceps do the brunt of the work,and squeezing at the top, followed by a slow negative.

Yes Wes...that is exactly what it feels like.  The problem is if I go any lighter I will be curling the pink dumbells

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
Yes Wes...that is exactly what it feels like.  The problem is if I go any lighter I will be curling the pink dumbells
Let it rest bro.....you won`t lose size if you keep training your back and eat right.

It takes a helluva` long time to clear up if you keep training while still in pain..............trust me,I used to get that shit a lot and still trained anyway,but I wouldn`t recommend it or do it now that I`ve learned my lesson not to try to be so hardcore.  :(

Good luck bro!  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »

I experienced this same thing when I first started training with weights. It was always after doing a set of straight bar curls, and it occurred after releasing my grip on the bar. Thankfully, I did not have it consistently for more than a few months, and it was never harsh.
However, I distinctly remember that slowly releasing the tension in my grip when setting down the bar greatly reduced - in many cases, totally alleviated - the splinting sensation. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »

I experienced this same thing when I first started training with weights. It was always after doing a set of straight bar curls, and it occurred after releasing my grip on the bar. Thankfully, I did not have it consistently for more than a few months, and it was never harsh.
However, I distinctly remember that slowly releasing the tension in my grip when setting down the bar greatly reduced - in many cases, totally alleviated - the splinting sensation. 
Yup,straight bar curls was the culprit for me also.

I would curl bodyweight for 5 reps,slightly cheated with a mega-slow negative for a couple of sets.......way too heavy from a hypertrophy standpint,but great for building power and being stupid!  :D

Forearm shin splints is the perfect description and they ain`t much fun at all.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »
Yup,straight bar curls was the culprit for me also.

I would curl bodyweight for 5 reps,slightly cheated with a mega-slow negative for a couple of sets.......way too heavy from a hypertrophy standpint,but great for building power and being stupid!  :D

Forearm shin splints is the perfect description and they ain`t much fun at all.

straight bar kills kill my forearms as well.....hurts really bad when I go really heavy..feels like a toothache on your arms...LOL

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
Definetly used to have the old 'shin splint' feeling in my forearms, lke everyone says, from too heavy BB curls! I literally never trained biceps for a good year or so at all and it eventually went away and now ill never touch any sort of BB curl. I dont even really train biceps at all now, and my arms havent decreased at all, theyre over rated IMO

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 03:14:48 AM »
I think I have this but just in my left arm. Straight bars make it worse so I never use them. Ez bar still hurts but not as bad, hurts worst first couple sets. Don't get it much from dumbbells.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
Usually nerve blockage/damage or a slight tear of a smaller muscle or ligament.

With most guy's, not enough time is allowed for the forearm part to heal completely...which is kind of hard because the forearms are used in most curling/pulling exercises. Might try keeping the area warm, with light wraps or a heating lotion during workouts and even when not working out. The pain may appear to go away after a few days, but the problem is not truly healed. Some have used massage, or even acupuncture/acupressure to correct the problem.

Sometime doing reverse BB curls will work around the area under stress in the forearms.  Reverse BB curls are another forgotten exercise that is an excellent bicep builder. Can try Hammer curls  (if you haven't already), giving a different twist to the wrist, thumbs being face up. Or when curling use a false grip. Meaning don't place the thumbs around the bar, let the bar rest in a light grip of the fingers.   Good Luck
F

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »

this,even when i'm done benching and release my grip the pain will surface
T

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
I had the same problem, sharp pain in the forearm [ulnar].
What works best is maybe pausing, but who wants to take a break from lifting for several weeks or even months.
I went up with the reps [12 instead of 6-8] and went down with the weights.
Concentration curls, close grip pull downs or chins worked best for me.
At least a friend of mine recommended to use Biofreeze. I bought the roll-on and I dont say that it was the reason the pain went away, but it was a great relief to me. After 8 weeks it was getting better and after week 12 the pain was gone.

If you are interested  :  http://biofreeze.com/Default.aspx
On their site you can get free samples

[Biofreeze products are classified as topical analgesics, which work through a ‘counter irritant’ mechanism. This means that the menthol in Biofreeze creates a sensation that overrides pain signals to the brain. This process is known as ‘Gate Control Theory’, where nerve impulses from one stimulus block the nerves containing pain signals to the brain. Recent research also suggests that menthol may stimulate cold receptors in the skin that may help regulate pain as well.]

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »
I had the same problem, sharp pain in the forearm [ulnar].
What works best is maybe pausing, but who wants to take a break from lifting for several weeks or even months.
I went up with the reps [12 instead of 6-8] and went down with the weights.
Concentration curls, close grip pull downs or chins worked best for me.
At least a friend of mine recommended to use Biofreeze. I bought the roll-on and I dont say that it was the reason the pain went away, but it was a great relief to me. After 8 weeks it was getting better and after week 12 the pain was gone.

If you are interested  :  http://biofreeze.com/Default.aspx
On their site you can get free samples

[Biofreeze products are classified as topical analgesics, which work through a ‘counter irritant’ mechanism. This means that the menthol in Biofreeze creates a sensation that overrides pain signals to the brain. This process is known as ‘Gate Control Theory’, where nerve impulses from one stimulus block the nerves containing pain signals to the brain. Recent research also suggests that menthol may stimulate cold receptors in the skin that may help regulate pain as well.]

Topical warming agents also work by drawing blood to the area(s) applied. This increased circulation can sometimes facilitate healing over time by flushing fresh blood and nutrients to the affected area.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
Switch to cables and do 3-0-3-2 tempo.
I have this as well, affects almost all that I do upper body and it totally sucks ass. Could be related to many things though. I just take time off every 4-6 weeks, warm up like my life depends on it as it does..

If I even try to fix my own collar or fix my hood with my left arm, it has me in bad pain to let you know how bad it is...

try using what looks like a baking roller but has spikes on it to break up forearm knots to help ease it up.
?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
try using what looks like a baking roller but has spikes on it to break up forearm knots to help ease it up.

I've used a racquet ball and massage stick in similar fashion with good success. Oftentimes, I also find it helpful to simply apply hard continuous pressure for about 30 seconds or so on the affected area using either a ball or the thumb.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »

I've used a racquet ball and massage stick in similar fashion with good success. Oftentimes, I also find it helpful to simply apply hard continuous pressure for about 30 seconds or so on the affected area using either a ball or the thumb.

yup, a good 30-60 secons on the hot spots works wonders! Had a sore knee for days, worked out the kinks above it, all is good now. That's just amazing!

?

juicemachine

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
Just use dumbbells, barbells have no advantage.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
i used to get the same pain when i did barbells curls.

i do preacher curls and do not have pain.
X

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
For me it helped a lot to loosen the grip.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
i used to get the same pain when i did barbells curls.

i do preacher curls and do not have pain.
Were you using a straight bar or EZ curl bar when you got the pain?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Were you using a straight bar or EZ curl bar when you got the pain?

Both. But worse when I used a straight bar. I always get a similar pain in my elbow when I do skull crushers.

I always start off my workout with preacher curls or incline dumbbell curls. If I do barbell curls, they are pretty much last in my work out, when my joints are fully lubricated and im warmed up.
X