Author Topic: signs of aging - im thinking about buying vinyl  (Read 4922 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: signs of aging - im thinking about buying vinyl
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
Smart choice, as vinyls are a major expense .

WooSHHHHHHHHHHH
Tell me about it, at one time I owned 250+, not a lot compare to some people. A lot for me in college though. I downsize my collection now. I used to store them in an Ikea book shelf... until that bitch broke on me. Invest in real storage.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »
:

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
I started getting back into vinyl again about 6 years ago. I amassed a collection of about 250 albums so far.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
I started getting back into vinyl again about 6 years ago. I amassed a collection of about 250 albums so far.

thats a lot of yngiwerhoads-records  :o

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
Nice - minimalistic and clean.

Thanks!

Anna Recksiek

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
Technically the records have a better sampling rate and have more information.
CDs have a lower sample rate but are better than an mp4 (what you get from itunes).
So the ranking is mp4 lowest worst sound quality - then cds - then vinyl.
I have a ton of old records that are scratchy and sound like shit with the signal to noise ratio being so heavy on the noise I will often use a cd version if I have if rather than the vinyl. But it's still fun yo go back and listen to the old records

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »
Technically the records have a better sampling rate and have more information.

Phonograph records have no sampling rate, they are analog.

When I was studying electrical engineering,  the formula given calls for a sampling rate that is slightly more than twice the highest sine wave signal you want to transmit.

Analog audio signals, no matter complex they appear, are made up of the sum of a series of sine waves up to the upper limit of human hearing.  To digitize a sine wave you measure the upper top of the wave, and how low it goes under the zero crossover point. So therefore you are doing this twice for every sine wave.

Square waves are the sum of the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency...triangular waves are made up of odd harmonics too, but the amplitude of the harmonics drop off with each increasing order...A saw-tooth wave is made up of odd and even harmonics.

The upshot is that the squiggly line that is sound is made  up of various sine waves summed together, and to digitize it you have to sample twice as many times as the highest sine wave frequency in the signal.
CD's were designed to transmit a frequency range of 20 Hertz to 20,000 hertz.  So they chose a sampling rate of 44.1 Kilohertz...a little more than twice the highest frequency.

As a comparison FM radio was designed with a very sharp 15 Khz cutoff.  That is, it does not transmit anything higher than 15 Khz.

Cassettes "rolled off" generally above 10 Khz...With the high end chrome cassettes they could be made to record up to 15 Khz in high end machines. (Those "featured midnight albums" of hard rocks stations in the 1970's.)

LPs were generally rolled off above 20 Khz...

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:04 AM »
thats a lot of yngiwerhoads-records  :o

;D

Anna Recksiek

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 08:11:00 AM »

This is true, the records are analog and do not have a sampling rate.
If the record is in good condition and you have a good stylus the record will have information the cd or MP4 does not. Every time the record is played the sound quality will degrade though.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
The limited run special edition releases make it a bit annoying at times,
as they become more collectibles than something that will be opened and used.

And then the next reprints might only be years later.

But otherwise, the artwork on a lot of the packaging can look terrific.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
The limited run special edition releases make it a bit annoying at times,
as they become more collectibles than something that will be opened and used.

And then the next reprints might only be years later.

But otherwise, the artwork on a lot of the packaging can look terrific.
Yeah, I rarely buy limited runs, everything I buy I want to listen too and rip to flac.
A

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »

If the record is in good condition and you have a good stylus the record will have information the cd or MP4 does not.

You seemed to miss that my post was a detailed and extensive explanation of why your statement comparing LP"s and CD's fidelity to the original waveform is wrong.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »

When I was studying electrical engineering,  the formula given calls for a sampling rate that is slightly more than twice the highest sine wave signal you want to transmit.

Analog audio signals, no matter complex they appear, are made up of the sum of a series of sine waves up to the upper limit of human hearing.  To digitize a sine wave you measure the upper top of the wave, and how low it goes under the zero crossover point. So therefore you are doing this twice for every sine wave.

Square waves are the sum of the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency...triangular waves are made up of odd harmonics too, but the amplitude of the harmonics drop off with each increasing order...A saw-tooth wave is made up of odd and even harmonics.

The upshot is that the squiggly line that is sound is made  up of various sine waves summed together, and to digitize it you have to sample twice as many times as the highest sine wave frequency in the signal.
CD's were designed to transmit a frequency range of 20 Hertz to 20,000 hertz.  So they chose a sampling rate of 44.1 Kilohertz...a little more than twice the highest frequency.

As a comparison FM radio was designed with a very sharp 15 Khz cutoff.  That is, it does not transmit anything higher than 15 Khz.

Cassettes "rolled off" generally above 10 Khz...With the high end chrome cassettes they could be made to record up to 15 Khz in high end machines. (Those "featured midnight albums" of hard rocks stations in the 1970's.)

LPs were generally rolled off above 20 Khz...

Nice post.  Still have my entire collection of LPs... over 1000 of them.  Most are mint. 

Anna Recksiek

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
You seemed to miss that my post was a detailed and extensive explanation of why your statement comparing LP"s and CD's fidelity to the original waveform is wrong.

I didn't miss your post, I said you are correct that records are analog.
One thing not mentioned in your post is analog recording techniques vs digital.
In the 90s most studios made the transition from 2" tape to adat or da88 digital format.
An analog record made from a digital recording will not have the same amount of information.
CDs are 16bit - adat or da88 is 32bit. So the cd immediately cuts the resolution in half.
Analog to analog has information that digital format never captures.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 02:57:33 AM »

Analog to analog has information that digital format never captures.

This assertion is wrong....