Author Topic: Back extensions  (Read 1307 times)

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Back extensions
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
What's the value of that exercise for the lower back ?

http://sparkpeople.com/myspark/ex/exercises.asp?ID=147

Thank you.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Back extensions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »
You`d be better off doping hyperextensions with a plate behind your head.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:09:50 PM »
What's the value of that exercise for the lower back ?

http://sparkpeople.com/myspark/ex/exercises.asp?ID=147

Thank you.

For the bodybuilder, no real value..........for the rehab or the person who want to be generally fit, it's a great exercise. It's more of a static exercise than a dynamic exercise.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 11:06:42 AM »
Does an exercise like that invite injury?  It seems like just so, unnatural. ?

My gym has a back extension machine - very good for high reps after doing lower reps with deadlifts. 

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »

My gym has a back extension machine - very good for high reps after doing lower reps with deadlifts. 

It is one of the McKenzie exercises prescribed for those with low back injuries.  McKenzie exercises are pretty much useless because most low back injuries are due to intervertebral disc injuries.  The irony in McKenzie exercises is that lumbar hyperextension increases intradiscal pressure and increases anular derangement, hence increasing patient symptomatology. 

In a healthy person with no history of low back pain it is a good exercise, too bad less than 15% of the population falls into that category.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »

Some people say that any spinal hyperextension should be avoided. IMO it helps maintain mobility. If mobility is not maintained it will be lost. Of course uncontrolled or ballistic hypers are totally inappropriate, however, "slow and controlled" movements are appropriate. It's important that spine movements are performed carefully.  Unfortunately, some people do not have a very good awareness (kinesthetic sense) of how they move and position their body parts when they exercise.
:

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:09:11 PM »

Some people say that any spinal hyperextension should be avoided. IMO it helps maintain mobility. If mobility is not maintained it will be lost. Of course uncontrolled or ballistic hypers are totally inappropriate, however, "slow and controlled" movements are appropriate. It's important that spine movements are performed carefully.  Unfortunately, some people do not have a very good awareness (kinesthetic sense) of how they move and position their body parts when they exercise.

Redwingenator and Princess L give great reasons why these types of exercises should be taken carefully and performed in a controlled situation.

I do not think you need to add weight.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:54:26 AM »
very common exercise in martial arts
Z

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
I have done these in Hatha Yogi classes, but at a slow and controlled pace. At the top position (contraction of the lower back muscles) there can be a hold of 10 seconds to as long as a minute plus. Very effective for back strength & endurance. And has been known to help people with spinal imbalance and muscle spasming (painful & sudden muscle contraction). Tends to activate the muscular motor units (nerves) along the spine and bring healing blood to the area. I also did these after a major lower back operation in rehab. If anyone thinks this is sissy stuff, without adding weight, than try a few sets of 30 second holds. Good Luck.
F