Author Topic: Small movie from Rwanda that could be the next "slumdog milionaire"  (Read 2257 times)

Crossbow

• Getbig II
Premiered in London a few days ago - brilliant, go and see it if you get a chance

http://www.africaunitedmovie.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11566473

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Small movie from Rwanda that could be the next "slumdog milionaire"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 08:09:21 AM »
How i love "independent" movies....  ::) ::) ::)

slumdog millionaire sucked elephant dick, who in the world wants to see bullshit movies like this except females on their period.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »
wow.............your just a hundred fucking miles from reality

'slumdog millionaire' was a smart, unique  highly stylized indie-film that crossedcultures and made a statement about poverty, fate, transcendance, and the choices individuals make

........that looks like some shitty kids/sports film  about some africans going to the world cup.............like 'cool runnings' with soccer or something

and if it is something more then that, the trailer certainly doesnt convey it..........has all the telltale graphics, cuts, and voiceover, and cliches of a trailer trying to promote a garbage feelgood kids movie

Crossbow

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »

and if it is something more then that, the trailer certainly doesnt convey it..........has all the telltale graphics, cuts, and voiceover, and cliches of a trailer trying to promote a garbage feelgood kids movie

good point, it is more serious than the trailer - addressing issues such as AIDS orphans, forced prostitutions, genocide, child soldiers.

the film is doing well at the same type of festivals that slumdog millionaire did.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
good point, it is more serious than the trailer - addressing issues such as AIDS orphans, forced prostitutions, genocide, child soldiers.

the film is doing well at the same type of festivals that slumdog millionaire did.

perhaps there is more to it

a trailer can make or break a film

some give the whole movie away, some misrepresent what genre the movie is

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
No thanks.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Interesting comments on this new 'flick'. I'm looking forward to seeing it as I am a big fan of good foreign movies and good independent films.

Just saw "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" (a film from Sweden) and they did one hell of a good job on this this "Girl Who ...." installment. If you see this series of films, make sure you start with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" to have a full understanding of what the three films are all about.

Hollywod was so impressed that one of the majors will be filming their own version of "Dragon Tattoo" next year, but I bet it doesn't come as close to the Swedish version.

And Unsung is pretty accurate about his statement that 'a trailer can make or break a film' and the majors spend a lot of money making trailers that will garner your interest.

Of great importance also is the 'voice-over' guy who narrates various movies and trailers. You might notice that there are only a very few unknown/unseen voices who narrate various films and clips and they get paid very well.

One GetBigger will soon be heard as the voice of a forthcoming cartoon character.

Stand by to stand by!

'Slumdog' was a great movie. DK, maybe you haven't been watching the right independents! There's a theater in Northern California that has a Board of Directors's (I believe Sean Penn is a member) who review independents before showing them on screen, so only the best of the best are screened .... and they are usually among the best films I've ever seen and Hollywood could never duplicate them, although someone did one hell of a great job on "It's Kind of a Funny Story"!

Got a great voice??! Hollywood may be looking for you also! Even if you got a funny face or are an obnoxious twink.

spinnis

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
How i love "independent" movies....  ::) ::) ::)

slumdog millionaire sucked elephant dick, who in the world wants to see bullshit movies like this except females on their period.

what was bad about it?

I liked it.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
i liked the machinist

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
Premiered in London a few days ago - brilliant, go and see it if you get a chance

look good, but the whole brown people can feel good too thing is getting played out. There`s only so many third world feel good movies a year that white people can feel good about.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
they need a movie 'Slumlord.....millionaire" and show him going in to collect from his tenants.....kinda like cops meets The Apprentice.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
they need a movie 'Slumlord.....millionaire" and show him going in to collect from his tenants.....kinda like cops meets The Apprentice.
Smart thinking dude.