Author Topic: Strong hands - crushing grip  (Read 3674 times)

MustangAce

• Getbig I
Strong hands - crushing grip
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
I want a crushing grip.  Right now the only hand excercise I do is I let two 50 lb dumbbells roll down to the tips of my fingers at my sides then grip on days I do forearms.  I want to target the thumb also and found this info by Nick McKinless on the web:

"Pinching Power

There are so many pinch exercises, but the best ones for any gym no matter where you are in the world are two handed pinches with two 45s and one handed pinches with two 25s or two 35s. If you need to add weight, get a short piece of 2-inch piping and stick it through the middle of the plates. Add weight as required. The greatest strength gained from pinching is the stress that it puts on the thumbs. Thumb strength is crucial for strong hands. I also like pinching with a towel over the plates or with gloves on. It means less weight, but the advantage is that you can do more volume without getting any tears in the webbing of the hands. More volume equals a bigger pinch, which equals stronger thumbs which equals stronger hands!"

I feel like an idiot but I can't tell from his description how the excercise is done.  Can someone elaborate? 

Then also he talks about some people will hang from a chin up bar as long as they can.  Would this be something to throw in there as well?

EbBnFlO

• Getbig II
Re: Strong hands - crushing grip
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
On bodybuilding.com there is some good info on developing good grip strength. I have found personally for grip strength things like tearing stuff like paper ,cardboard, as you tear you stack it and keep trying to tear it,will develop thumb pinch strength and some wrist and hand.can't quite do a phonebook yet lol.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
There's www.gripboard.com. Many CoC's and other grip champions post there.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:10:37 AM »
a warning:

careful you don't try to do too much too fast... i have trained my grip i nthe past and at one point i sprained my thumb so bad that i had trouble training back for 2 months

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »
check out www.heavygrips.com I use them myself and found that my grip and forearms have gotten stronger and my forearms got bigger in size.  These are one of the best handgrippers.  I only use this 1-2 times a week.  Dont train too much with it.. injuries can happen easily.   

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:42:39 PM »
bmuscle90, the grip site you mentioned and the hand grips look pretty cool! i have a pretty decent grip to begin with, but my forearms are whimpy as hell! i just might try this! but, 350lbs of resistence in one hand grip?! is it possible to even try applying that much strength and pressure into one grip like that?!  ???

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
i alos just saw something recently about tearing a phonebook. there is a strategy to it.  you peal back the covers, bend the pages, and tear the book one page at a time, together. i'd have to find the article, but there is a whole method to it. it doesn't take alot of strength either, just a little skill.   ;)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »
i alos just saw something recently about tearing a phonebook. there is a strategy to it.  you peal back the covers, bend the pages, and tear the book one page at a time, together. i'd have to find the article, but there is a whole method to it. it doesn't take alot of strength either, just a little skill.   ;)

It's easy to do. I saw a 50 year old dude do it and he was about as weak as they come. I never learned personally, he tried to show me, but I was a kid and we ran out of phonebooks.
E

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »
bmuscle90, the grip site you mentioned and the hand grips look pretty cool! i have a pretty decent grip to begin with, but my forearms are whimpy as hell! i just might try this! but, 350lbs of resistence in one hand grip?! is it possible to even try applying that much strength and pressure into one grip like that?!  ???

The 350 one is one of the heavier(harder) grippers to close.  I would start off with the 200 and then move up.  Yes the 350 is possible to close.  They go up to 500.. Gunter Schlierkamp almost closed the 500 at an event.  I use this product myself and it works really good..both my grip has got stronger and forearms more pump and size.  Definitely try this product out and see for yourself.  Make sure you eat too.  This is the best quality handgrippers out there use by pro bodybuilders, strongman, and other athletes.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 03:45:32 PM »
thanks big guy! i think i will try it! :)

EbBnFlO

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
With the phone book that is the easy way to do it. But the grip and wrist strength way is to grab the spine and crack it and tear and twist all in one motion. When you can do this your grip and wrist strength is pretty strong.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
DEADLIFTS ANDCHIN UPS WITHOUT STRAPS HEAVY PHYSICAL WORK LIKE MOVING STEVEDORES DO AND MASONRY AND CARPENTRY.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »

The 350 one is one of the heavier(harder) grippers to close.  I would start off with the 200 and then move up.  Yes the 350 is possible to close.  They go up to 500.. Gunter Schlierkamp almost closed the 500 at an event.  I use this product myself and it works really good..both my grip has got stronger and forearms more pump and size.  Definitely try this product out and see for yourself.  Make sure you eat too.  This is the best quality handgrippers out there use by pro bodybuilders, strongman, and other athletes.

How do you get the 500's? I would start at 100 instead of 200. It's harder then you think.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »
I do farmers walks for Cardio reason 4 times a week.

Each side 40 kilos running down 400m and back...Having done that for quit a while now I can honestly say my grip has got a lot a lot stronger.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/index.jsp

Captains of Crush hand grips are pretty slick.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »
I've got the grip set.  the 100 lb is easy but I have a hard time with the 150's.  working on it
X