Author Topic: The legend of "Howard Zane"  (Read 1865 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The legend of "Howard Zane"
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »
It was Nov 1979 and Frank Zane was the current Mr Olympia. I was  at Plymouth State College, NH and had started doing bodybuilding contests the yr before.
A good lifting buddy of mine at the college , Bob Thayer, asked some of us from the school gym to come down and help out at bodybuilding meet his former HS principal was putting on near Keene NH.
I am 5'9" br hr/eyes fairly wide shoulders, narrow hips etc. This was the era of Zane so any bodybuilder with those features "looked like Zane "to other bodybuilders in that time period LOL.
When I met the principal and show promoter, he remarked at how I looked a lot like Zane. My buddy Bob chimed in quickly with; " He should! Frank is his older brother." The guy looked at me for confirmation and I went with it. The thing grew and took on a life of its' own. At dinner with him and the other lfiters I made up a bunch of BS about the Zane family history ;how Frank met Christine and how we all get Frank to pig out during Christmas dinner after the Olympia and photo shoots, etc. I was asked to be the head judge of the contest and I accepted with an aw shucks modesty. My buddies were sure to gab anyone that knew me at the night show and quietly inform them who I now was.
The judges were introduced at the night show and my intro came last and went as follows:
" Our head judge tonight is a real special guest. He is currently climbing up the bodybuilding ladder in in New England contests and is a student at PSC. He is the youner brother of 3 time Mr Olympia Frank Zane.
Let is give a warm  welcome to ... Howard Zane". I stood up with great pomp and circumstance wearing a borrowed green suit. I slowly tunred and gave the "presidential wave" to the crowd.
I even signed an actual autograph on some kids program who had his older brother in the show.
I crack up when I think that some middle aged guy might have some old bodybuilding show program stuffed in some family album with a 'Howard Zane' autograph on it .  ;D

Howard Zane hehe
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
Re: The legend of "Howard Zane"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
I can't wait to tell Frank about this ... he's gonna kick your ass !  ;)

Great Story, btw.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »
classic! thanks for sharing..

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
Thanks a little harmless fun from days gone by. I actually met Zane finally this yr at the arnold and got a pic off him, no mention of Howard Zane however.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »
Howard Zane.....lmao.........yo u should write for Leno.....i mean with these kinds of stories the sky's the limit..........now resign your account and get started.....hurry up times a waisting

Moosejay

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
Zane himself would laugh at this...he is a good guy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »
good stuff here.  zane won't recover.

Moosejay

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »
Thanks a little harmless fun from days gone by. I actually met Zane finally this yr at the arnold and got a pic off him, no mention of Howard Zane however.

And I betcha he didn't charge you $Twen.....oh, Hell, you know wher I am going with this Howie!