Author Topic: What do you think of people getting 'too big?'  (Read 4056 times)

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
What do you think of people getting 'too big?'
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »
  When I was 15 this was a completely foreign idea to me but now I almost feel like I'm pretty much as big as I want to be. If if I have any growing left in me, I'm only up for a little bit more.  What's the point of being big?  Now I think it's cooler to strong, flexible and fully functional.  Lifting for size lately just keeps bringing me back to the 'what's the point question.'

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: What do you think of people getting 'too big?'
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
It is something people get caught up in.
When I was larger I actually looked crap with clothes on.
Every one said I got fat!
Under my shirt I had abs but I cant keep flashing that when I feel insulted.

Being strong, flexable with some abs, shoulders, legs cuts and arms means a lot more to me now.
I am still trying to redefine how I want to look and what I want to do but being big does not cut it for me any more.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
haha, that'd be great though if you flashed your abs everytime someone thought you were fat.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
The last time I did that was at the end of last year.
I have to go for a physical for my work every year and the Nurse told me that I was 8kgs over weight acording to my BMI.
So I lifted up my shirt and showed her some abs  ;D

My buddy with a beer belly and zero extra muscle to talk of got a better rating than me acording to her BMI scale LOL

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
I weight train and also bicycle race. I have found that when my weight goes over 190 (I am 5'9"), its pretty much impossible to be competitive on even moderately hilly courses on a bike. So yes, you can be too big, and not just by appearance only.

As a compromise, I keep my weight about 185 now and still do both. The positive side of this is I have watched my diet and gotten very lean. I lift moderately heavy (6-10 RM) with smooth, controlled reps and am not too much concerned about getting bigger. Lifting is pretty much a rush  since i just go for "the pump" . No joint pains now either.

Funny thing is that now that i am in no hurry to hoist big numbers, my shoulders and biceps have gotten a lot fuller and more pronounced. Never would've guessed that!

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
In my opinion, if you are lean, do not take steroids, then I think it would be hard to be too big, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »
In my opinion, if you are lean, do not take steroids, then I think it would be hard to be too big, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.

You know, I always thought that too but who defines aesthetic?  My tastes are beginning to change I guess.  Although, I think they are real influenced by my feelings towards today's bbing.  I would love to love bbing again as an art, or a kind of puzzle.  That's the only thing, I think that could bring me back to the 'I want to get big' mentality.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »
  You know, I always thought that too but who defines aesthetic?  My tastes are beginning to change I guess.  Although, I think they are real influenced by my feelings towards today's bbing.  I would love to love bbing again as an art, or a kind of puzzle.  That's the only thing, I think that could bring me back to the 'I want to get big' mentality.

I guess it depends on your personal taste. Some purists would point to a Steve Reeves type or Frank Zane as being aesthetic. If you look at it as art, you don't have to be big..Do you want a good V-taper? This is me a few years back..not very big, but somewhat aesthetic.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
I guess it depends on your personal taste. Some purists would point to a Steve Reeves type or Frank Zane as being aesthetic. If you look at it as art, you don't have to be big..Do you want a good V-taper? This is me a few years back..not very big, but somewhat aesthetic.

Looking good man.  8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:48:12 PM »
your WAIST can get TOO BIG, your obliques can get TOO BIG, your muscles??? FUCK NO !!!1  :D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »
Chemist- you look awesome. Definitely in the Reeves mold.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »
Chemist- you look awesome. Definitely in the Reeves mold.

Thank you, that's a huge compliment.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
Looking good man.  8)

Thanks. Trying to get cut now for my birthday in 4 months. Fat isn't coming off like it used too.

mcb650

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
I know a guy at the gym who's really big and probably strong as a bull, but doesn't look good because he's short. You can tell that he's not just a fat dude by the shape of his body, but he's still overweight. Talking to him the other day, I found out he wants to get bigger. I don't really get it. What's the point of being able to lift a car three feet off the ground if you don't look good?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
I know a guy at the gym who's really big and probably strong as a bull, but doesn't look good because he's short. You can tell that he's not just a fat dude by the shape of his body, but he's still overweight. Talking to him the other day, I found out he wants to get bigger. I don't really get it. What's the point of being able to lift a car three feet off the ground if you don't look good?
its called "powerfliting", and its an excuse to eat junk food.  ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »
Functional vs looks.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mcb650

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »
its called "powerfliting", and its an excuse to eat junk food.  ;D

LOL, that I can understand!

Functional vs looks.

I could understand this too, except he wants to be a cop and with his level of conditioning, I doubt he could run down a dude in a wheelchair.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »
LOL, that I can understand!

I could understand this too, except he wants to be a cop and with his level of conditioning, I doubt he could run down a dude in a wheelchair.
Funny you should say he wants to be a cop......many of them are surprisingly agile for being big fat slobs overweight and looking out of shape. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:51:37 PM »

I used to have that exact same attitude, but now it's more like what's the point of getting big if you're not strong as hell, fast, and flexible, and able to crush in sports?  Let's face it, giant bbers aren't exactly scoring the babes.  In fact, put in front of 2 tvs-one with WSM on and one with the O on, I'd be willing to be that more chicks would go for the strongmen(those that aren't rediculously overweight).

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
Looking great Chemist.
Being too big - depends if it fits you... some dudes look cool as a brute... some look silly.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
  I used to have that exact same attitude, but now it's more like what's the point of getting big if you're not strong as hell, fast, and flexible, and able to crush in sports?  Let's face it, giant bbers aren't exactly scoring the babes.  In fact, put in front of 2 tvs-one with WSM on and one with the O on, I'd be willing to be that more chicks would go for the strongmen(those that aren't rediculously overweight).

Personally i think they would change the channel ;D
tank u jesus

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
If you`ve been training for years and haven`t seen your abs in years just so you can weigh more.........GET BUSY!!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Chem, You definitely had the Reeves look back then and if bodybuilding had not changed so dramatically since Steve's day, you'd more than likely be "top dog" today. And I mean that as a compliment and respectfully stated.

Did you improve from that point on without resorting to the "bulky blunder" look or quit entirely?

I have a nephew with a similar build (he was a gymnast since the age of six) and all the competitive bodybuilders he often trains with do their best to encourage him to "juice up" and start competing, but he's damn happy with the way he looks and was letting it pass.

But things seldom remain the same and now he is now dating a young lady who likes muscle, so I think he'll soon be changing his attitude.

Good going back then, Chem.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:43 PM »
Chem, You definitely had the Reeves look back then and if bodybuilding had not changed so dramatically since Steve's day, you'd more than likely be "top dog" today. And I mean that as a compliment and respectfully stated.

Did you improve from that point on without resorting to the "bulky blunder" look or quit entirely?

I have a nephew with a similar build (he was a gymnast since the age of six) and all the competitive bodybuilders he often trains with do their best to encourage him to "juice up" and start competing, but he's damn happy with the way he looks and was letting it pass.

But things seldom remain the same and now he is now dating a young lady who likes muscle, so I think he'll soon be changing his attitude.

Good going back then, Chem.

Thanks Stunt. I did get about 15 pounds heavier the following year. I chronicled about 10 years worth of photos in the link below to the members pic section. Trying to hit a peak in the next 4 months for my 46th birthday.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=212000.0