Author Topic: Guns - Best one for home protection  (Read 39510 times)

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: Best gun for home defense?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »

The Taurus Raging Judge.

Shotgun in Pistol Format.

Piece of junk for home defense.  HTH

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Can't see wanting to swing around a rifle inside a house but I'm not a gun owner so maybe you know better.  I'd probably go for a short bodied clip fed shotgun.  Can't see why anyone would still use a pump action unless semiautos are unreliable.

There is no swinging it around.  It is very compact. 

I am not aware of any clip fed shotguns.  What are you talking about?

You're correct.  Pump action shotguns are more reliable than semiauto shotguns.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »

Piece of junk for home defense.  HTH
Why and what makes you the expert?  Have you ever shot at someone before ???   Prior military?

pulling weight

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
never wear ear protection.  You will possibly hear that 'mouse fart' that alerts you to the bad guy.   He might be in hiding too - Don't run blindly into any room.   Time is on your side, particularly with law on the way.  You can give hiim the scariest "Sheriff's Department!" or other yell to let him know he's about to tangle with a grown ass man, to the death.  Also "say hello to my little friend" while racking the shotty and laughing hysterically has been known to intimidate.  Never give them "Please leave".   Instead try "I wanna shoot you so bad, my d*ck is hard".   That'll make them wonder if they really want to breach that door.

LMAO!
T

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
never wear ear protection.  You will possibly hear that 'mouse fart' that alerts you to the bad guy.   He might be in hiding too - Don't run blindly into any room.   Time is on your side, particularly with law on the way.  You can give hiim the scariest "Sheriff's Department!" or other yell to let him know he's about to tangle with a grown ass man, to the death.  Also "say hello to my little friend" while racking the shotty and laughing hysterically has been known to intimidate.  Never give them "Please leave".   Instead try "I wanna shoot you so bad, my d*ck is hard".   That'll make them wonder if they really want to breach that door.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
I would say a good pump shotgun. Those Judge revolvers are stupid. Why bother with those. They shoot a .410 shell it's a gimick. It would be a good snake gun that's about it.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
There is no swinging it around.  It is very compact.  

I am not aware of any clip fed shotguns.  What are you talking about?

You're correct.  Pump action shotguns are more reliable than semiauto shotguns.

Only mag fed shotgun I know that is modestly priced and easy to find is the Saiga series -

I am leery of those because they've only been out for a bit, and have attracted the attention of anti-gunners.

In America, there are two things that are usually looked at for a shotgun to get ATF clearance -

The barrel is over .50, so it technically falls under firearms laws as a "destructive device". You cannot own arms over .50  in America without jumping through some special hoops. The ATF usuals forgives this rule for shotguns if they serve a sporting purpose , so it might be safe there. The other problem is the detachable magazine, in general the ATF likes the magazine capacity of a shotgun to stay under a certain limit, if it goes past that limit, they start to look at it as non sporting firearm, and if directed will take steps to ban it.

Right now they are safe because they are pretty new to the market, but they'd be a pretty easy ban if any governmental agency decided to make an issue of it.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
Sawed off double barrel shotgun.

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
NO...................... ........the ar 15 is the best tactical and home protection gun you can have.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
The German 88 is my favorite.
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
Remington 870 in the Marine Magnum configuration.

Nickel plated for lower maintenance, good magazine capacity, based on a proven platform with lots of options. It doesn't attract as much negative attention as the AR-15 type rifles, and it will be low on any ban lists.

Load with #00 buck or 4 shot and you're good to go.
^
End of thread
a

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
How many homes are being invaded? Most criminals knock on the door to see if you are home first. If you  are they fast talk how they are at the wrong house. If you're not there they go around back and kick in the door.

A .223 for shooting ranges under 20 feet is nuts. It can go through a lot of dry wall.  A hand gun is perfect but every time I'm at a range the shooting is really bad from hand gun owners. If hitting a stationary target is hard with no stress imagine how hard it is to connect in real world shootings.

I would go for a shotgun like the 870. A quality pump is almost jam proof. Across a room the spread isn't that much. #4 buck in a three inch shell throws 41 .24 caliber balls toward an intruder and in house distances is devastating. Imagine shooting someone 41 times with a .22 long rifle? Rack it again and it's 82 buck shot.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
Why and what makes you the expert?  Have you ever shot at someone before ???   Prior military?

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that gun has no practical purpose.  .410 shotgun ballistics suck.  45 colt and 454 casull are solid calibers, but still suck when compared to rifle rounds.  The sight picture sucks on that gun, it has limited capacity, it's heavy.  Furthermore, Taurus guns have some of the worst reputation for quality and reliability.  Yes, I have owned Taurus, and shot Taurus, and will never own another one.

If you're thinking about a Taurus Raging Judge, I would suggest looking at something else.  

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 04:55:49 PM »

The Taurus Raging Judge.

Shotgun in Pistol Format.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
shotgun with birdshot... if you shoot someone it will not kill them but it will make a hell of a mess... bonus: it will not go through drywall and kill your family/neighbors

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
Actually, one of the first rules is to never give up your location.  Don't say shit, try to be as quiet as possible, and wait for the intruder to enter your POA.

Don't talk, and for Christ's sake don't put any type of light on your weapon. Get your family safe, retreat to a defensive position and call 911.

Get a pump shotgun and rack that fucker. The sound is unmistakable. Very, very good chance the intruder changes their mind.

Nothing that ever enters your home with the intention of harming your family should leave alive.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
shotgun with birdshot... if you shoot someone it will not kill them but it will make a hell of a mess... bonus: it will not go through drywall and kill your family/neighbors

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
I think land mines combned with super high amp shock setups on windows n doors are nice.

I think the sig 226 in nickel is a ncie gun, with 45 slugs, 8 of them.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
  .45 Colt Gold Cup Comp.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
handgun with hollow points FTW
A

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
The sound of a shotgun loading in the dark is enough to scare an intruder shitless..

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »
The sound of a shotgun loading in the dark is enough to scare an intruder shitless..
Yep.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
Don't talk, and for Christ's sake don't put any type of light on your weapon. Get your family safe, retreat to a defensive position and call 911.

Get a pump shotgun and rack that fucker. The sound is unmistakable. Very, very good chance the intruder changes their mind.

Nothing that ever enters your home with the intention of harming your family should leave alive.

Again, one of the first rules regarding home defense is to not give up your position.  Racking shotguns is for movies only.  If you rack the slide on your shotgun, the intruder now knows where you are.  He could easily start firing rounds in your direction.  The only sound an intruder should ever hear is you pulling the trigger.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

Birdshot is used for hunting small birds, small animals, and trap/skeet.  It is not good for home defense.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
A good handgun I prefer my glock 19 with a pump shotgun for back up. I need a rifle next.