Author Topic: Dealing with friends who owe you money (£4800 recovered, ROLEX SOLD)  (Read 6808 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
I don't wana come across like a tight git here, but I have a friend who owes me 6k so far, I've had to bail him out many times and pay his rent and patch him up with 500 here and there.....now I don't mind helping but i also tried to give him advice abt how to get out of that mess...move out from that expensive area, sell your Rolex's (he has two) give back the Z4.....he's done none of if....and was gona pay me back 1000 every two months this year to get even. So far 750 in 5 months

Have you guys any advice on best way to approach this without ruining the friendship, I don't need the cash, but the principle behind it is that he pays me back for putting my wallet out there when no one would and saving his ass.

UPDATE, Rolex I repossessed (page 2) now sold for 4800. This plus the 750 I got means no big loss my way, rest of debt written off. He knows now he won't get my help if he needed a transplant.
S

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Dealing with friends who owe you money
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
protip, never lend anyone money.

if its family and they need something then always make it a gift.

problem solved

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
i learnt that loaning money always ends very ugly

cut your losses and end the friendship

good luck

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
I`d just nicely ask him if he still intended on paying me.

If I didn`t get the answer I required,I`d rip his fucking deadbeat head off,and shit down his neck!

the trainer

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
I don't wana come across like a tight git here, but I have a friend who owes me 6k so far, I've had to bail him out many times and pay his rent and patch him up with 500 here and there.....now I don't mind helping but i also tried to give him advice abt how to get out of that mess...move out from that expensive area, sell your Rolex's (he has two) give back the Z4.....he's done none of if....and was gona pay me back 1000 every two months this year to get even. So far 750 in 5 months

Have you guys any advice on best way to approach this without ruining the friendship, I don't need the cash, but the principle behind it is that he pays me back for putting my wallet out there when no one would and saving his ass.

I only lend money that I can do without if I dont get it back, if I think its going to be a problem if I dont get it back then I will not lend it I say no and make up an excuse.

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

never lend money, always give it.
You never get sore if they dont give it back.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
i learnt that loaning money always ends very ugly

cut your losses and end the friendship

good luck
50 bucks,yes,I`d cut my losses and tell him he bought me cheap,but 6 K,I`d have him killed from a distance.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
50 bucks,yes,I`d cut my losses and tell him he bought me cheap,but 6 K,I`d have him killed from a distance.

realistically flipping out is gonna cost you more

catch 22

fucked up

never loan money, what are you a bank?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
never lend money, always give it.
You never get sore if they dont give it back.

this is very good advice

I dropped 2k on my mate about three years ago when he lost his job

I never mentioned it to him

he got his shit together this year and gave me it back

he said he couldn't believe how cool id been about it

my take is why worry yourself

if he is a proper mate he will pay you back when he can

if he isn't he wont
T

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Why would you be friends with losers who have to borrow money in the first place?

You must be a tosser of the first order.
K

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
He's coming over later tonight for a PEP talk, I'm going to make sure this situation changes more so for his sake than me. Whether I get back my 6k or some of it or whatever happens happens.....but he needs to get his ahit together.
S

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
sneak into his bedroom at night and put a severed horse's head next to his face

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Give him a deadline.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
smash up his car at night

it will not get you your money back but

at least he will have a financial loss as well

and you get some satisfaction

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »
I don't wana come across like a tight git here, but I have a friend who owes me 6k so far, I've had to bail him out many times and pay his rent and patch him up with 500 here and there.....

I did that up to $15,000 USD.  His step daughter died in a grisly car wreck and six month later his wife developed a brain tumor.  He went to Amsterdam, rented an apartment that cost $175 USD a day.  He went through every nickel he had, he had some fantasy about living in Amsterdam.  I had to fly him back home, get him current in his house, and advance him small sums every few days for 6 months.  He had promised that he would get a job in his field (computer cartography) and have me repaid in three months.  

He ran to a hippy  colony in Blanco Tx, turned his back on his house, ran from his 2 kids from his first marriage (his son is having a hell of a time trying to go to school).  In short he, "went off the grid".  He survived by taking odd jobs and house sitting for Shelly Duvall. (yes, the actress, for real).  Every time I brought up the subject of the money, (every single time I saw him) he would exclaim, "no one here has any money."  When I suggested he leave, get a real job just for the time it would take him to repay me, then return, he would exclaim, "But I fuckin' like it here."

He got involved with a methamphetamine crowd and five years later he died of an enlarged heart. (although not technically an overdose)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

smash up his car at night

it will not get you your money back but

at least he will have a financial loss as well

and you get some satisfaction

You are such a fuckn’ child…

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
Honest, caring people give a shit about paying back a debt. I would pay back money before I ate.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
the guy is no friend(if even true story) he owes you 6k and he paid you 750 back in 5 moths and he won't sell one of his 2 expensive watches to pay some more off what he owes you. he is just taking you for a mug.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »

i had a friend who did something stupid and owed a large sum of money to people you dont want to owe money to.

he had 24 hours to come up w 48k. i was at the meet. it wasnt pretty.

i sold a harley i had 38k into for a fractional amount to cover what he was short.

he didnt pay me back for 2 years. finally i said, yo its time.

he paid me back and never spoke to me again.

i was the bad guy, can you believe that?

fuck him, and fuck friends like him.

they'll take and take and take, and you'll bail them out and bail them out and bail them out, but when it comes time to come correct, you'll always be the asshole.

so, best case scenario, be prepared to be the asshole who gets paid back and loses a 'friend'. and honestly brother, after this cut your losses that friendship. your not a friend, your an ATM and a get out of jail free/ support network for his fuck ups.
b

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
i had a friend who did something stupid and owed a large sum of money to people you dont want to owe money to.

i sold a harley i had 38k into for a fractional amount to cover what he was short.

i was the bad guy, can you believe that?

fuck him, and fuck friends like him.

they'll take and take and take, and you'll bail them out and bail them out and bail them out, but when it comes time to come correct, you'll always be the asshole.

so, best case scenario, be prepared to be the asshole who gets paid back and loses a 'friend'. and honestly brother, after this cut your losses that friendship. your not a friend, your an ATM and a get out of jail free/ support network for his fuck ups.
Dude,you should have slapped the ungrateful bastard.

What a fucking asshole....you`re far better off losing his "friendship".

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
LOL  ;D

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
have a similar situation but nothing like the amounts mentioned here.
a lifelong friend owes me money for unpaid rent.
i let him live in my first home with no bond and he still never paid his rent and it cost me £600 replacing the flooring he ruined along with other damages.
money has ruined a lifelong friendship with a lad i thought the world off and like others have said im the bad guy im hearing that hes shouting his mouth off in pubs about how ive stoppe talking to him.

Simple Simon

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
I gave Johnny Swift a pack of Polos at nursery school, he swore he would get me one back on the way home, he sneaked off down the back alley.

I never got it back.

Lesson learned early though.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »

i was the bad guy, can you believe that?...

Dude,you should have slapped the ungrateful bastard.

What a fucking asshole....you`re far better off losing his "friendship".

At least he got the money back…physical reprisals would achieve nothing.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
At least he got the money back…physical reprisals would achieve nothing.

I know that,but it looks good on paper.

I will say that a few well placed baseball bats to the cranium,would result in a no repeat of said unpaid debt.

On a sidenote,I hate how these deadbeats flip the script and try to make the lender look like the villian just because they insisted on being paid back.

Where I come from,if you borrow cash,you pay it back or suffer the consequences.