Author Topic: Charles Glass - Angles to his different parts of muscles  (Read 14774 times)

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
Re: Charles Glass - Angles to his different parts of muscles
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2018, 06:46:58 AM »
Decline presses is one of the best movements for the entire pecs if not the best. I just don't like doing them because of the possibility of failing and having a bar on your throat or face. I hate asking for a spot. Most guys start doing upright rows as a spot. Dips are a similar pathway and I use them instead.
yes, the secret to a big chest is to concentrate on the lower chest, declines, dips, etc

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Not if you are talking about the same muscle. Sure some other muscle are activated as a stabilizers but if you are talking about using the muscle as it is interned to be used you first have to know it's function. Once you know that you will realize that you can not ever hit a different area of that muscle. It's physically impossible.

I used to scoff at the idea of all those different angles. In 1991 I was training at Gold's, Venice and Ray Mentzer was helping me in one exercise. He 'corrected' my form re grip and angle of elbows on a Hammer Incline

machine. Here I was thinking I knew enough but the truth was there was still plenty to learn.  Especially from guys who had bigger muscles.

I have always considered Larry Scott to be knowledgeable about training. Gironda, the Mentzers, and a few others were/are as well. Glass probably is, too.

Now about hitting a  different area of a muscle. Take biceps. It has three functions. The two main are flexion and supination. I made a biceps machine that has two weight stacks. One for flexion and the other for supination.

It is possible to target both heads simultaneously or separately. It is possible, on my biceps-supinator machine, to target a different part of the same muscle.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

I used to scoff at the idea of all those different angles. In 1991 I was training at Gold's, Venice and Ray Mentzer was helping me in one exercise. He 'corrected' my form re grip and angle of elbows on a Hammer Incline

machine. Here I was thinking I knew enough but the truth was there was still plenty to learn.  Especially from guys who had bigger muscles.

I have always considered Larry Scott to be knowledgeable about training. Gironda, the Mentzers, and a few others were/are as well. Glass probably is, too.

Now about hitting a  different area of a muscle. Take biceps. It has three functions. The two main are flexion and supination. I made a biceps machine that has two weight stacks. One for flexion and the other for supination.

It is possible to target both heads simultaneously or separately. It is possible, on my biceps-supinator machine, to target a different part of the same muscle.

HAHA  Mike did the exact same thing to me-  I did one rep. he said STOP, one thing I insist on is proper form... had me flare my elbows out more, go slower, full ROM.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
HAHA  Mike did the exact same thing to me-  I did one rep. he said STOP, one thing I insist on is proper form... had me flare my elbows out more, go slower, full ROM.

When someone with over 20 inch arms gives you advice you tend to listen. One thing about Mike and Ray is that they were influenced by Arthur Jones who didn't suffer fools.

Ray and Mike knew a lot about how muscles worked. That was an important part of their seminars and training camps.

The point is, what is the test of the truth of these practices and tips? Well, do they work? If you attended a training camp of Ray Mentzer you would change how you do many exercises.

On the other hand, there appears to be heaps of broscience passed down from generation to generation in countless gyms all over the world.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
HAHA  Mike did the exact same thing to me-  I did one rep. he said STOP, one thing I insist on is proper form... had me flare my elbows out more, go slower, full ROM.

I thought about this again and I smiled a bit. Mike and Ray used to train people at Golds. When they encountered someone who already knew how to train they

would 'correct' form on crucial exercises to make the client feel they didn't know much! It worked with me.

In 1991 I stayed at Ray's place in Torrance. When driving near Golds Venice he pointed out various guys who they trained and were now 'personal trainers'. They

trained for a month with Mike or Ray then felt qualified to train others! Of course Ray didn't respect those people as experts.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »

I made a biceps machine that has two weight stacks. One for flexion and the other for supination.

Vince will you post a video of the machine being used?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »
Vince will you post a video of the machine being used?

Hi Dave, I would do this but the design is still valuable to me so I will refrain until I have approached some equipment companies to see if they are interested.

I am still training my arms. The workouts involve two exercises but the intensity is extreme and I train them only once a week instead of twice because I keep

putting it off.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
haha u old fart angles dont mean shit! curl a weight a 100 ways or do 100 sets one way it aint gonna make a shits worth a difference asshole
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
Hi Dave, I would do this but the design is still valuable to me so I will refrain until I have approached some equipment companies to see if they are interested.

I am still training my arms. The workouts involve two exercises but the intensity is extreme and I train them only once a week instead of twice because I keep

putting it off.

why do your arms suck? do u need 102 angles or 150 different angles? ??? get your head outta your ass old man
A

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
haha u old fart angles dont mean shit! curl a weight a 100 ways or do 100 sets one way it aint gonna make a shits worth a difference asshole

You've obviously never used his world renowned supinator.  LOL.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
You've obviously never used his world renowned supinator.  LOL.
vince b is one of those guys so dumb hes a genius by always training to get big arms, he instead never gets big arms but by sheer dumb luck and consitency all that dumb arm training is fixing all the blood clots in his arms so he never dies
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »
why do your arms suck? do u need 102 angles or 150 different angles? ??? get your head outta your ass old man

I don't take kindly to being disrespected.....!

I don't need any angles just one machine to totally exhaust my biceps. My biceps-supinator. There is only one such machine in this world and I built it.

Naturally, blokes dwelling in the mountains where you live take pride in being ignorant of modern advances in engineering.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
vince b is one of those guys so dumb hes a genius by always training to get big arms, he instead never gets big arms but by sheer dumb luck and consitency all that dumb arm training is fixing all the blood clots in his arms so he never dies

Two things I train arms for. I want to prove that I can still build muscle at my age. 75.  Second, if I can keep a body part growing via hypertrophy, then I will stimulate hormones that help keep me feeling younger.

For the record, my arms are the biggest they have been since I began lifting weights in 1958. My strength in biceps and triceps exercises is the highest ever. Best years ago on Nautilus triceps machine (modified) was 7 plates.

I now regularly use 10 plates for maximum sets. My biceps are stronger, too, which is great.

About 10 years ago a radiographer told me my body had not aged much. She worked in a busy hospital and saw hundreds of patients each month. I don't subscribe to taking hormone replacement treatments.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
I don't take kindly to being disrespected.....!

I don't need any angles just one machine to totally exhaust my biceps. My biceps-supinator. There is only one such machine in this world and I built it.

Naturally, blokes dwelling in the mountains where you live take pride in being ignorant of modern advances in engineering.

No actually there's another machine it's called your arm. You put your arm in the supinated position, with the weight in your hand if it's a dumbbell, and you create flexion at the elbow keeping your elbows in adducted. In other words a fucking curl in the supinated position genius.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

It is not possible to target one head or the other separately.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
Two things I train arms for. I want to prove that I can still build muscle at my age. 75.  Second, if I can keep a body part growing via hypertrophy, then I will stimulate hormones that help keep me feeling younger.

For the record, my arms are the biggest they have been since I began lifting weights in 1958. My strength in biceps and triceps exercises is the highest ever. Best years ago on Nautilus triceps machine (modified) was 7 plates.

I now regularly use 10 plates for maximum sets. My biceps are stronger, too, which is great.

About 10 years ago a radiographer told me my body had not aged much. She worked in a busy hospital and saw hundreds of patients each month. I don't subscribe to taking hormone replacement treatments.

And you call me delusional?  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! 

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
When you do for example a standing bicep curl both heads of the bicep with be at maximum contraction (supinated) at the top of the movement. There is no need to turn your wrist out any further. Your wrist is automatically in the position for maximum supination which allows maximum contraction.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
It is not possible to target one head or the other separately.

I do it all the time on my machine. You can target both heads simultaneously by twisting the handle while curling the weight. If I stop the flexion I can then twist the handle and use the supinator part of the biceps.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
When you do for example a standing bicep curl both heads of the bicep with be at maximum contraction (supinated) at the top of the movement. There is no need to turn your wrist out any further. Your wrist is automatically in the position for maximum supination which allows maximum contraction.

The barbell curl isn't as effective as dumbbell curls because you can twist the dumbbells on the way up to involve the supination head of the biceps. If you hold the dumbbells closer to the end nearest the body then you will add

additional resistance to the supination movement. Larry Scott advocated doing this.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
I do it all the time on my machine. You can target both heads simultaneously by twisting the handle while curling the weight. If I stop the flexion I can then twist the handle and use the supinator part of the biceps.

Supination is a position of the hand, not a part of the bicep moron. ENGLISH!  
You clearly have no knowledge of the joint or muscle actions of the body.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
Haha lol Basile getting owned in this thread.
X

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Supination is a position of the hand, not a part of the bicep moron. ENGLISH!  
You clearly have no knowledge of the joints or muscle actions of the body.

At least Wiggs is having a conversation. How the mighty have fallen!

Well, Wiggs, if you supinate your hand which part of the biceps do you use?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:17 PM »
At least Wiggs is having a conversation. How the mighty have fallen!

Well, Wiggs, if you supinate your hand which part of the biceps do you use?

In the supinated position you are working the short and the long head aka biceps brachii. I don't see how continuing to turn your wrists laterally past the supinated grip will have any added benefit towards muscle hypertrophy on the biceps. I can see extra stress on the muscle of the forearms more than the bicep.  I think it takes away from the bicep if you turn it out too far. I'm open to learning if it is indeed true.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:47 PM »
In the supinated position you are working the short and the long head aka biceps brachii. I don't see how continuing to turn your wrists laterally past the supinated grip will have any added benefit towards muscle hypertrophy on the biceps. I can see extra stress on the muscle of the forearms more than the bicep.  I think it takes away from the bicep if you turn it out too far. I'm open to learning if it is indeed true.

I got the idea of a biceps machine from Arthur Jones of Nautilus fame. He never built such a machine but stated that supination was an important part of the biceps brachii. So I wondered if it was possible to build such a

machine. I shared a factory with a smart guy who came up with a solution. I never used his solution but applied what he did and came up with my own solution. I was quite pleased because I visited the mechanical engineering

department at Sydney University and the head of the department couldn't solve this problem, either. Essentially one has to come up with a design that allows movement in two degrees of freedom. After a lot of thought I came up with a

design and applied for a patent. Silly me. It cost over $50,000 for the patent and yearly fees. Build your invention and then don't show it to anyone and then you might be able to sell it to a company. I wasn't interested in building and

selling them. What happened was that it took many years of changing things around to finally have a machine that was more user friendly. There were several major changes to the machine.

Anyway, the idea is that you are seated - which I determined - was the strongest position to do curls in. Counterbalances were needed and so on. The machine has 21 pulleys so is quite complicated.

When seated you hold the hand grips with your palms facing downwards and to the rear. You rotate your hands inwards and curl the resistance up to the shoulders. Each hand can be used individually or together. You can do the twisting

movement on the way up. Even if you don't move your hands there is still an extra resistance from the second weight stack. You have to keep the handles from twisting back to the original position.

I can tell you that after several warm up sets the movement becomes a brutal one. That is why I put off training arms more frequently. It is just too damn hard to do. Well, I always go to failure on both biceps and triceps for

the last 6 or so sets after a thorough warm up.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »

Correct, in fact when you are doing standing barbell curls your palm is facing the ceiling and your bicep is maximally contracted at that point. It is impossible to turn your wrist any further. People who use Dbs are just using the weight of the DB to bend their wrist in an unnatural position while under the assumption that they are getting more contraction.

Try this. Stand with your arms to your side. Keep your palms facing forward. Now make a fist as if you have a bar in your hands. Keep your arms completely at you sides and as you curl your arms up do not let your elbows lose contact with your body. Now stop half way up so your forearm is at a 90 degree angle. At this point try to turn your wrists outward so your palms are no longer facing the ceiling. As I said earlier you will see that it is impossible. People who use DBs are just letting the outer part of the DB bend the wrist risking injury.