Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 230810 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #7600 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
I'm in my 60s and training is not only different, it's also difficult.  But I still train.  The other day I just could not do my normal routine due to not only being physically sore but also mentally tired.  So I just did a couple of sets for each body part for 50 reps each.  Got a pump and got out of the gym.

Izzat the "Weider Instinctive Training Principle"?   ;D

Maybe you should shoot more cc's :D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #7601 on: June 09, 2018, 12:38:57 PM »
When you get older you get injured a lot.

Even when you don't do anything stupid you get injured.

Small annoying injuries.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7602 on: June 09, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7603 on: November 11, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
If you have a serious work ethic then yes. I find the drug users start dropping out well before 60. Various reasons. Sometimes it's health, finances or even arrests.  At 60 many many start having health scares like heart concerns, serious joint issues or even an  enlarged prostate. My gym there are a lot of older men. Most train like old men but there are exceptions. On guy is 73 I believe and he still trains really hard with heavy weights. Surely an exception to the rule. He has a youthful speaking voice too.

I find for me at 60 I stopped doing certain movements like the bar bench press and press behind the neck. I don't miss them. I use dumbbells or the standard military press for shoulders. I squatted with a bar for over 40 years. Now I fell better results with the deep range of motion leg press and dumbbell squats performed with a fairly straight back and sinking it. I really think the hardest exercise I have ever done are dumbbell squats. I don't know my name after them and feel close to death. I know guys that use 315lbs with a bar think how can I find dumbbells heavy enough?  Believe me, incredible strong guys would be shot holding two 150lbs dumbbells trying to get 12 reps. I see guys deadlifting the dumbbells thinking they are doing a dumbbell squat. That's not the motion. Get that ass really low as you squat and keep the back fairly vertical holding the dumbbells at your sides.  

I have been a high intensity guy my whole life doing sets to failure and low sets. I've been putting a lot of thought into high set endurance type training. I'm hesitant to make the change because I vainly say I look good for my age and I speculate high intensity is the reason. Then again who knows?  
I respect the hell out of you guys over 60 still training.  I'm mid 40's and the only person I know my age who still lifts regularly.  After age 40 I quit doing really heavy stuff and like you completely eliminated the bench press with a bar and don't miss it either.  All medium weight dumbbell work for usually 12-20 reps but sometimes a little heavier and I enjoy training as much as ever.  I lift at home so I don't have to deal with the weird gym stuff.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7604 on: November 11, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
I respect the hell out of you guys over 60 still training.  I'm mid 40's and the only person I know my age who still lifts regularly.  After age 40 I quit doing really heavy stuff and like you completely eliminated the bench press with a bar and don't miss it either.  All medium weight dumbbell work for usually 12-20 reps but sometimes a little heavier and I enjoy training as much as ever.  I lift at home so I don't have to deal with the weird gym stuff.

You will start seeing a serious difference of men you know who are around the same age at 55. Guys completely start to fall apart. Even many guys who trained hard when they were younger can't seem to find the work ethic to lift seriously in their middle 50's. If you have the work ethic you will notice the difference. Not talking about the steroid guys who foolish keep playing that game into their aging years.

My hair is almost completely white now. I was at the Michigan-Rutgers football game yesterday the guest of rich guy I know who rented out a private deck. I was standing at the wall of this deck or box what ever you call it and Rutgers scored.  I jumped up. The old guy next to me said, "You blocked my view and I have a bad knee. I'm 60 you know."  I told him, "I'm 60 too.  I'll move over so you can see."

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7605 on: November 12, 2018, 03:18:52 AM »
Yes, many have serious health problems over 55.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #7606 on: November 12, 2018, 04:01:41 AM »
Lots of men are so beat up from physical injuries they suffered  when younger they are limited in what they can do without pain.  Knee surgeries, hip replacements, etc.

All those sports you did when young like playing football and wrecking your knees come back to haunt you.

For those who did not have injuries the combination of poor eating habits, lack of exercise, drinking, smoking, and years of sitting on their asses adds up.

My advices to those of you in your 30s and 40s is to keep training, eat smart,  Moderation in bad habits like drinking, not smoking.  Get enough sleep.  Avoid sun exposure or use sunscreen.

Avoid activities that will beat you up and cause debilitating injuries.  Skip the weekend warrior sports leagues where you could tear up your knee.  It's not worth it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7607 on: November 12, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Agreed.  That's what I've been doing for the last several years.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7608 on: November 28, 2023, 10:29:09 AM »
who here still Squats?  ;D

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #7609 on: November 28, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »
who here still Squats?  ;D

I do but much less weight than previously
c

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7610 on: November 28, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »
I do but much less weight than previously
I also do not go so deep in the Squat

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #7611 on: November 28, 2023, 12:48:47 PM »
I also do not go so deep in the Squat

I still go well below parallel but not as deep as before
weight and rep numbers have dropped
unlike many on this site I am getting old so the days of 20 reps X 1.5 body weight are past
which is a pity as the squat is a mighty exercise  that taxes the whole body
c

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7612 on: November 28, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »
I still go well below parallel but not as deep as before
weight and rep numbers have dropped
unlike many on this site I am getting old so the days of 20 reps X 1.5 body weight are past
which is a pity as the squat is a mighty exercise  that taxes the whole body
The Squat has always been my number 1 exercise & yes we have to change it as we age. Still hits all the lower body like no other exercise.
I even rate the Squat over the deadlift

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7613 on: November 29, 2023, 12:21:32 AM »
The Squat has always been my number 1 exercise & yes we have to change it as we age. Still hits all the lower body like no other exercise.
I even rate the Squat over the deadlift
If you ever get too old to squat, try the horse stance instead.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7614 on: December 08, 2023, 09:04:19 AM »
If you ever get too old to squat, try the horse stance instead.
yes i tend to do the standard stance but i like Sumo deads.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7615 on: December 08, 2023, 07:44:16 PM »
I found as I age that I can get out of condition very quickly. I remember as a teenager with something like running if I left it for a month or two it would only take two weeks or so of running to get back to 95% plus of my abilities. Now it takes about 6 months to get back to what is reasonable cardio shape for my age.

Same goes for lifting. If I don't lift for a month it takes about a month to get back. So the morale to the story for me is to never be far away from being in shape. Now I have other obstacles but I'm feeling pretty good now. Not great but I can't complain because I'm training. Beginning to accept that my best days are far behind me but it won't stop me from being the best I can be today with my limitations. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7616 on: December 09, 2023, 12:46:05 AM »
yes i tend to do the standard stance but i like Sumo deads.
I meant the hose stance with no weight like what martial artists do.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7617 on: December 09, 2023, 04:31:08 AM »
I meant the hose stance with no weight like what martial artists do.
yes those are effective if done properly but i feel slight pain on the inside of my knees with them, or at least i did when i tried them.
I just keep it simple with basic Barbell squats in variations & i also like step ups on a bench.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7618 on: December 09, 2023, 04:34:17 AM »
I found as I age that I can get out of condition very quickly. I remember as a teenager with something like running if I left it for a month or two it would only take two weeks or so of running to get back to 95% plus of my abilities. Now it takes about 6 months to get back to what is reasonable cardio shape for my age.

Same goes for lifting. If I don't lift for a month it takes about a month to get back. So the morale to the story for me is to never be far away from being in shape. Now I have other obstacles but I'm feeling pretty good now. Not great but I can't complain because I'm training. Beginning to accept that my best days are far behind me but it won't stop me from being the best I can be today with my limitations.
well i´m 57 now so no spring chicken but i remember the best advice i got was just keep moving ! once you stop the aches & pains come back.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7619 on: December 09, 2023, 07:46:22 AM »
well i´m 57 now so no spring chicken but i remember the best advice i got was just keep moving ! once you stop the aches & pains come back.

So true. This is me summer 2022.  I'm not a bodybuilder but a guy who likes to work out. I know I look like crap. I was 64 that summer using zero steroids and no hormone replacement.  A few months later I dropped maybe 15lbs and really started to tighten up then. I never took a  pic to monitor my progress with the dropped weight because I got sick August 2023.  I was diagnosed with leukemia. Oncologist said I have a compromised immune system. Of course then I caught covid and was sick for about two months. My body couldn't fight it. Sickest I have ever been in my life. Had to rush to the ER twice. Now my oncologist says my numbers are stable for now. My bone marrow is producing cancerous cells wrecking my effective white blood cells that attack pathogens/diseases.

I'm a pretty disciplined person and I would like to think a really good work ethic. Trying my hardest to get back into shape. I keep getting sick though.  Right now I feel pretty good so I'm pushing the pedal to the metal while it lasts. Oncologist is confident that a new chemo for my specific cancer will work. He said he won't pursue it till my numbers are high and he said that could be a year to five years. It's 100K and six months of treatment. Hopefully my insurance will cover it.

My son ran the NYC marathon this year and the family went to see the race. NYC was packed with people watching the event and I found it inspirational. My son had a lot of anxiety about finishing. We saw him run by at about the 18 mile mark.  He was all smiles to see the family.  We hoped in the subway to the finish line. We had tickets for the finish line stands.  Waiting there I thought he quit because we didn't see him for a long time. Using a tracker we found he was still moving. Massive crowd cheering the runners. Suddenly he appeared with around 300 meters to go. I felt so much pride and I was happy for him. He works such long hours and he ran after work many times in the dark. At the finish I went on ahead of the family looking for him.  He texted that he had trouble walking. Damn, I would have carried him if I had to.  When I found him he had a small smile on his face. He needed this victory of completing it so bad. I thought about him when I ran my slug pace 5 mile run yesterday. I was determined to finish my run even though I wanted to stop at two miles.  We all have an expiration date and we all will be destroyed physically by age/illness. Fight the good fight and if you lose go down swinging thinking of God and those you love.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7620 on: December 10, 2023, 12:31:13 AM »
Yep, Father Time is undefeated.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7621 on: December 12, 2023, 05:54:50 AM »
Yep, Father Time is undefeated.
yes but not if you have the machine.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7622 on: December 13, 2023, 07:36:36 AM »
if you want a great triceps exercise try these. Tiger push ups.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7623 on: January 02, 2024, 05:59:29 AM »
I trained Back & Shoulders today & i found it very positive. I am now doing a 3 day split of

Chest/triceps/calves

Legs/Biceps/abs ( i like to train abs often sometimes when not training & i find hitting Biceps inbetween sets of leg work keeps me motivated)

shoulder/back/calves (calves are my weak area, long/wide but not the mass/thickness i want)

see what happens.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7624 on: January 03, 2024, 12:03:00 AM »
I trained Back & Shoulders today & i found it very positive. I am now doing a 3 day split of

Chest/triceps/calves

Legs/Biceps/abs ( i like to train abs often sometimes when not training & i find hitting Biceps inbetween sets of leg work keeps me motivated)

shoulder/back/calves (calves are my weak area, long/wide but not the mass/thickness i want)

see what happens.
I like training back and shoulders together too.