Author Topic: ARM TRAINING  (Read 26202 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
ARM TRAINING
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »
There are several approaches to incorporating ARMS (biceps and triceps) into your training split:

(1) Have a separate day for ARMS.  Hit both bis and tris on this day.  This is the approach I use.  I try to do three exercises for bis and three for tris, with usually 3-4 sets each exercise.  These are relatively small muscles, so I think that 9 sets is really adequate to work them.  Plus, you also work them when you train other larger muscles (see below)

(2) No separate day just for arms. 
Hit bis on back day since back workouts already engage the bis.  Hit tris on chest or shoulder day since chest and shoulder workouts already engage the tris.  Do bis and tris after you train the larger muscle group (back, chest, or shoulders). 

OR.....

Hit bis on chest or shoulder day, and hit tris on back day.  Some people feel that it is more effective to train the arm muscles on the days when they are not being hit by other training.  For example, if you train biceps after a back workout, your biceps have already been worked by the back workout, so you may therefore not be as strong on the bicep exercises as you could be if your biceps were less exhausted.  So you would hit your triceps on back day instead, since you don't engage the tris nearly as much when doing back.  And then hit the biceps on chest or shoulder day for the same reason.

(3) TWO separate days just for arms. 
This is what people who have identified their arms as their weak spot and want to train specifically to build more size in this area.  Branch Warren trained his arms twice a week for a long time in an attempt to catch them up to his legs...he still may do this, actually, I am not sure.
In this case, plan on one HEAVY day of arm training and one LIGHT day of arm training.  The light day should incorporate lighter weights, higher reps, and less rest between sets.

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
Re: ARM TRAINING
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
EXERCISES

In terms of how to structure ARM workouts, like I said before, the arm muscles are relatively small, so it doesn't take alot to work them hard, and they get hit pretty good when working other, larger muscles.  I think that a workout consisting of 3-4 exercises, 9-12 sets total, is more than enough for a good bicep or tricep workout.

BICEPS
Note that "bi" in "biceps" indicates two parts, called "heads." The biceps has a common attachment below the elbow, and then splits into two parts as it ascends the arm toward its upper attachments.

Exercises can vary quite a bit, but I usually recommend structuring a workout that includes some form of:

(1) Dumbell Curls - These can be done the "standard" way, standing and curling with alternating arms and bringing the weight from your side all the way to the top while supenating the wrist (turning it outward to maximize the squeeze) at the top. 
-Another variation is to curl them alternating or together like you would curl a straight barbell.  Keep the wrists pointed outward/upward the entire range of motion...hold the two dumbells in front of your body like you would hold a barbell and curl them this way, keeping your elbows pinned to your sides.  Go for the entire range of motion.
-Another good variation is to do the curls while seated on an incline bench.  This provides a really good range of motion and REALLY isolates the biceps.  This is one of my favorite exercises for biceps.  The upper part of the arm (shoulder to elbow) should not move and should remain at your sides.

(2) E-Z Bar Curls - The EZ bar is the bent bar that you can hold on to with a close grip or a wide grip.  The wider the grip, the more the inner head of the biceps brachii muscle is emphasized, and the narrower the grip, the more the outer head is emphasized.  I usually do a few sets of both, actually, in addition to dumbell curls and hammer curls.

(3) Hammer Curls - Hammer curls are done with the wrists facing each other the entire time ("neutral" grip).  Your hand is in the position it would be in if you were using a hammer.  The weight should be curled with your elbows essentially attached to your sides and not moving at all.  Hammer curls focus on the forearm in addition to the bicep.  For whatever reason, I like to do this exercise as a drop set to failure...meaning I start with a heavy weight and curl as many times as I can, then immediately drop to a lighter weight and do it again, and then immediately to a lighter weight and go to failure (for example, 20s, then 15s, then 10s).

(4) Alternative Bicep Exercises - There are tons of variations that can be included in a bicep program.  A few that I like to use to mix things up include:
---Cable exercises.  These are all done with the cables in a low position, near the ground, so that you can curl upwards.
-Sometimes I do the EZ bar curls on the cable machine instead of with the EZ bar.  These can be done wide grip or close grip just like the EZ bar.
-Sometimes I use the rope for hammer curls on the cable machine.  Just grab the ends of it to curl, and you automatically assume the hammer position with your hands.  You can pull the rope apart at the top for extra contraction.
-One handed cable curls.  You can use the cable and handle to do curls one hand at a time.  This is particularly good if you want to do them with a reverse grip and engage the forearm more.
---Reverse Curls.
-I use a straight barbell and do reverse-grip curls sometimes to really hit the forearms.  Hands should be "upside down" on the bar and shoulder width apart.  This is a good exercise to help lengthen the bicep muscles as well.
---Preacher Curls.  On the preacher bench (the one that kind of looks like a pulpit, see below).  I prefer to use dumbells and go one arm at a time, as I feel that the barbell strains my wrists too much.  This exercise should be done with relatively light weight and FULL range of motion.  Form is very important on these.  Do not throw your shoulder or back into this exercise...if you do find that you are throwing your shoulder forward, then the weight is too heavy.
---Bicep Machines.
-I am not a huge fan of bicep machines.  I prefer free weights for biceps so that I can always work the two biceps independent of each other...but if there is one that you feel is good and that you are comfortable with, you can add this to your program once in a while for variation.

Some exercises that I have found to be a waste of time for biceps include:
---Hercules Curls.  This is another shaping exercise that is usually done on a twin tower multi-station setup with high cable hookups. Standing centered between the towers, holding the cable handles with a supinated grip, and with your arms fully extended, laterally, from your shoulders; now, while maintaining your arms parallel to the floor, curl your hands toward your head - you will now look like Hercules in a double biceps pose.  Personally, I find that this exercise engages other muscles and does not focus enough on the bicep, esp if you try to go heavy.  You may look cool doing it, but I really don't think you get enough out of it to spend the time.
---Specific Forearm exercises.  I do not focus any specific training on my forearms except for things like reverse bicep curls and some of the exercises mentioned above.  The forearms get plenty of work through regular training, especially for women, and especially if you use alot of free weights.  Just gripping heavy dumbells for things like chest presses will increase your forearm strength.  No need to sit there and do those silly wrist curls, it's a waste of time.

When training biceps, it is extremely important to not engage your other muscles like your shoulders and back.  This is accomplished by using your elbow as a hinge for bicep curls.  You should not be swinging your upper body at all...it should remain completely still and upright.  Your elbows should remain "glued" to your body (either your side or the front of your body, depending on the exercise).  Except for the contraction of the bicep, the only thing that should be moving is the part of your arm from your elbow to your fingers.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
TRICEPS
Note that "tri" in "triceps" indicates three parts - a long head which originates at the scapula, a lateral head which originates at the back of the arm (humerus) and the short head which originates on the humerus a bit lower than the lateral head.

Exercises can vary quite a bit, but I usually recommend structuring a workout that includes some form of:

(1) Cable Extensions - There are so many ways to use cables for triceps. I usually incorporate two of the following into each tricep routine:
-Straight bar extentions.  Hands should be shoulder width apart.  Full range of motion.
-Close grip extentions.  These are done with the cable grip that looks like a triangle shape.  The palms end up facing each other in a closer grip.
-Rope extensions.  Use the rope and lighter weight so that you can get a full extension.  At the bottom, pull the ends of the rope as far apart as you can and hold it there, contracting the tricep fully.
Rope extensions can be done like a french press as well...turn around so that you have your back to the cable and pull the rope over your head and fully extend.
-Reverse extensions (one hand at a time).  Reverse your grip so that your palm is facing upwards during this exercise.  Full extension and be sure to "glue" your elbow to your side, and do not let your shoulder drop during the extension. 

(2) Skull Crushers with the E-Z Bar - This is my favorite tricep exercise!  It focuses most on the large inner head of the tricep muscle and tones up what can commonly give women the ole' "lunch lady arms."   :D
Use a barbell and an incline bench (I prefer the EZ curl bar b/c it is more comfortable on the wrists, and I like the incline bar because it eases pressure on the back and allows you to see your movement in the mirror).  Grip it with your hands place a bit narrower then shoulder width. Press the barbell up until it is at arms length above your shoulders.  Moving only your forearms lower the barbell in an arc motion until it is an inch above your forehead (like you are going to crush your skull).  Using your triceps strength push the bar back up in an arc motion to the starting position.  Your arm should NOT swing at all between the shoulder and elbow.

(3) Alternative Tricep Exercises - There are tons of variations that can be included in a tricep program.  A few that I like to use to mix things up include:
---Dumbell Tricep Extensions.  These are done with dumbells one arm at a time.  You can do them standing up and bent over holding a bench with one hand and doing the extension with the other.  Be sure to keep your elbow "glued" to your side so that the only part of the arm that moves is between your elbow and your fingers.
---Tricep Dips. I prefer doing dips on a weight-assisted machine to prevent over-extending and possibly injuring the shoulders. This exercise is great for the triceps but also hits the chest and fronts of the shoulders ALOT....and can be dangerous if you over-extend or fail at the bottom.  I do not recommend doing these in between benches with weights on your lap...not necessary and a recipe for injury since your arms are so far behind you.  The weight assisted machine is the way to go unless you are a very advanced trainer and can do them with your own body weight.
---Close Grip Bench Press or Close Grip Pushups.  These are great exercises to incorporate into your tricep workout if you work triceps on the same day as chest.  Either way, close grip bench press or pushups focuses more on the front shoulders and triceps in addition to the chest.  Go as close as you can comfortably for your wrists and shoulders.
---Tricep Machines.  Similar to biceps, I am not a huge fan of tricep machines and prefer to do most of my tricep training using free weights and cables.  The ONE machine that I do like is the one where you rest your elbows on a pad and press the weight forward using two handles (see pic below).  This is a good machine to substitute for skull crushers if you are working alone and do not want to do skull crushers without a spot.

When training triceps, it is extremely important to not engage your other muscles, especially your shoulders and back.  This is accomplished by using your elbow as a hinge for tricep extensions.  You should not be swinging your upper body at all...it should remain completely still and upright.  Your elbows should remain "glued" to your body (either your side or the front of your body, depending on the exercise).  If you find that you are dropping your shoulder into the exercise, especially on cable extensions, then you are using weight that is too heavy.  Best to drop the weight and focus on the form.  Make sure your upper body is not moving at all.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »

Although I do tend to mix it up A LOT with arms, a "normal" ARM workout would look something like this for me:

-Dumbell bicep curls - 1 warmup set, 3 heavy sets
-EZ Bar curls - 2 heavy sets close grip, 2 heavy sets wide grip
-Hammer curls - 3 drop sets to failure
-Reverse Curls - 2-3 sets with straight barbell
-Cable tricep extentions - 1 warmup set and 3 heavy sets with either straight bar or close grip bar
-Skull Crushers - 3 heavy sets with EZ curl bar on incline bench
-Rope tricep extensions - 3 sets holding rope apart at bottom
-Either 2-3 sets of close grip bench press or weight assisted tricep dips.

Also, let me know if you have any questions about what the specific exercises/machines I mentioned look like, and I can try to dig up a picture for you.  Other suggestions and recommendations are always welcome.'

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »
A few pics, using GUYS to illustrate the exercises...don't ask me who these guys are, I have no idea...I was just looking for some pics.  ;D

Biceps - hammer curls and incline dumbell curls

Triceps - Kickbacks and Skull Crushers on a FLAT Bench.  I do prefer using an incline bench for skull crushers, as it results in less pressure on the lower back and allows you to see your movement in the mirror.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 11:41:14 AM »
A few pics, using GUYS to illustrate the exercises...don't ask me who these guys are, I have no idea...I was just looking for some pics.  ;D

Biceps - hammer curls and incline dumbell curls

Triceps - Kickbacks and Skull Crushers on a FLAT Bench.  I do prefer using an incline bench for skull crushers, as it results in less pressure on the lower back and allows you to see your movement in the mirror.

Who are those guys?   ;D

Thanks for all this info Rip you really put a lot of thought and work into this thread and I'm not the only one who appreciates it :)
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »
Although I do tend to mix it up A LOT with arms, a "normal" ARM workout would look something like this for me:

-Cable tricep extentions - 1 warmup set and 3 heavy sets with either straight bar or close grip bar

Thanks we plan to do this workout next week :)
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »
Who are those guys?    ;D

Thanks for all this info Rip you really put a lot of thought and work into this thread and I'm not the only one who appreciates it :)

Might as well throw in a little eye candy for the girls while I am at it, ya know.   ;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11:42 AM »
Thanks Rip!!

I am going to use the "Print" button and print these threads out.

:D

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
did shoulders, tri's and bi's today.
 for tris' I start out with body dips (progress to weighted)
then skulls combo with close grip
then hammer dip (sometimes)
then press downs
finish with rope

My tri's lag so I try to work em hard (as hard as my elbow can take!)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 04:28:36 AM »

Also, let me know if you have any questions about what the specific exercises/machines I mentioned look like, and I can try to dig up a picture for you.  Other suggestions and recommendations are always welcome.'

I do similar also. I like the overall volume. I will usually do 3 exercises for 4 sets with a drop set or 2 in there maybe.  Another thing I will do is alternate between bis and Tris, meaning one exercise for bis, the next for Tris.  That bicep pump really gives you something to push from on the tri work :)

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
Rip, what triceps exercise do you feel best works the outer head?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
Rip, what triceps exercise do you feel best works the outer head?

The outer head is aka the "lateral head" and is really the meaty part of the tricep that gives it a horseshoe shape, and that should be sticking out of your shirt if you are doing it right.   8)

If I recall correctly... :-\...I was told once that the outer head does not connect to your shoulder like the other parts of the triceps do, so focusing on the outer head should be done using exercises where the other parts of the triceps are not stretched or engaged as much...and this would be when you have your arms at your sides (versus overhead).

I think that the best exercise specifically for the outer head is the standing straight bar cable push down/extension
Hands grab the bar shoulder width apart, and elbows remain glued to your sides.  Use a full range of motion and contract at the bottom.  Don't drop your shoulders into it either, make the triceps do all the work, particularly the outer head.

Another way to work the outer head more is to do these with a reverse grip (palms facing upward).  You can do them one arm at a time. 
I like to superset straight cable push-downs with one handed reverse push-downs, actually.   ;D

Tricep dips hit the outer heads very well too, but they are less isolating, as they engage the front delts and upper pecs as well. 

I have always found that tricep extension machine (pictured above in this thread) to be a good one for the outer head as well.  But I don't think that you can beat the straight bar cable push-downs if you want to really isolate this part of the tricep.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:29 AM »
I do similar also. I like the overall volume. I will usually do 3 exercises for 4 sets with a drop set or 2 in there maybe.  Another thing I will do is alternate between bis and Tris, meaning one exercise for bis, the next for Tris.  That bicep pump really gives you something to push from on the tri work :)

I did the alternating bi-tri workout last week and it definitely kicked my ass.  I did supersets (one bi exercise and one tri exercise), so I was able to cover alot of ground in one workout.  My arms got painfully pumped, and my biceps were sore at the insertions, which is unusual for me (my biceps hardly ever get sore).

THREE SUPERSETS EACH:
---Dumbell bicep curls, straight bar tricep cable push downs
---EZ Bar bicep curls with close grip, rope tricep push downs
---Seated incline dumbell curls with arms turned outward (for inner head), weight-assisted tricep dips
---Preacher curl bicep machine, tricep machine
---2 sets each of dumbell hammer curl drop sets, and reverse grip one handed tricep cable pushdowns

OUCH!    ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »

I did the alternating bi-tri workout last week and it definitely kicked my ass.  I did supersets (one bi exercise and one tri exercise), so I was able to cover alot of ground in one workout.  My arms got painfully pumped, and my biceps were sore at the insertions, which is unusual for me (my biceps hardly ever get sore).

THREE SUPERSETS EACH:
---Dumbell bicep curls, straight bar tricep cable push downs
---EZ Bar bicep curls with close grip, rope tricep push downs
---Seated incline dumbell curls with arms turned outward (for inner head), weight-assisted tricep dips
---Preacher curl bicep machine, tricep machine
---2 sets each of dumbell hammer curl drop sets, and reverse grip one handed tricep cable pushdowns

OUCH!    ;D

Now that should do it! You know when you get sore like that, your gonna grow!  I really like your style can tell you hit it hard  8)   

Ohhh.... ripitup your so yummy.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »

Did this today...we might not like you tomorrow Rip :)
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
Now that should do it! You know when you get sore like that, your gonna grow!  I really like your style can tell you hit it hard  8)   

Ohhh.... ripitup your so yummy.

You know it baby...heavy and hard is how I like it.    8)

:-*

Did this today...we might not like you tomorrow Rip :)

Next week, try the arm workout I just posted...you will LOVE me.   :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:17 PM »
I am doing bi's and tris on separate days (I asked Rip to kick me in the ass and she is!!  ;D ) and I did the bi workout last Thursday, and Saturday and Sunday I had to do deep tissue massage on my left bicep!!   ::) I could not even straighten my arm out. In the middle of the night I would heat it, massage it, then physically straighten my arm out by holding it so I could sleep. If I moved and bent my arm again it would tighten up again.

The right one hurt too, but the left was so much more that the right one was not noticeable!    It is better now, but I still have to force myself to straighten it fully.   I will be taking it a bit easier for awhile.
   :P

Do I have to fry the right one this week or I will be lopsided?    ::)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
I am doing bi's and tris on separate days (I asked Rip to kick me in the ass and she is!!  ;D ) and I did the bi workout last Thursday, and Saturday and Sunday I had to do deep tissue massage on my left bicep!!   ::) I could not even straighten my arm out. In the middle of the night I would heat it, massage it, then physically straighten my arm out by holding it so I could sleep. If I moved and bent my arm again it would tighten up again.

The right one hurt too, but the left was so much more that the right one was not noticeable!    It is better now, but I still have to force myself to straighten it fully.   I will be taking it a bit easier for awhile.
   :P

Do I have to fry the right one this week or I will be lopsided?    ::)

LOL flower omg, I feel your pain!   :D

I've totally been there before, lol that's why I am laughing.  Super sore biceps are rough...once mine are "broken in," they are tough to make sore.  But if I hit them hard after an extended time off...OUCH!!
The WORST is when you fall asleep on your arm in the bent position, and it goes numb...and then you wake up and move it and it falls completely open/straight.   :o :o :o

Motrin/Advil and alot of stretching is the best answer.

Unless you lifted in a completely lop-sided manner (which I doubt)....If your left arm is worse off from the workout, that may mean that you are right-side dominant, and your left arm/side is weaker.  It bore the brunt of the beating. 
I am eventually going to put a thread together on this topic, as I am very right-side dominant and you can see it in several of my muscle groups.  I'm always looking for ways to bring my left side up to par with the right side. 
Take a look at your left right muscles and see if one side is bigger than the other.  You can usually see it pretty easily in the biceps, quads, and calves.

One thing you don't need to do is try to beat your other side up next week LOL.  So that's good news!   :D

The best way to resolve this problem over the long-term is to try to incorporate as many uni-lateral exercises into your workouts as possible...that is, exercises that work the left and right sides independent of each other.  This includes all dumbell exercises.  There are also some machines that work the left/right independently, like the Hammer Strength machines.  If you work the two sides independently, one cannot compensate for the other and grow bigger/stronger. 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:01 AM »

Next week, try the arm workout I just posted...you will LOVE me.   :)

:'(
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 08:17:22 AM »
I am right handed Rip, so that could be the reason it ended up sorer. 

It will be an easier/lighter workout this week!!
   ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 09:13:13 AM »
"1) Have a separate day for ARMS.  Hit both bis and tris on this day.  This is the approach I use.  I try to do three exercises for bis and three for tris, with usually 3-4 sets each exercise.  These are relatively small muscles, so I think that 9 sets is really adequate to work them.  Plus, you also work them when you train other larger muscles (see below)"

thats exactly what i do for my arms

Z

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
Yesterday I tried something a little different. 

I have been slacking a bit lately, only making it to the gym a few times a week.   :-[

Anyway, ARM DAY is usually the first day that I will skip if I know that I am going to miss a few training days during a week. 
This is because you hit your arms quite a bit when doing back (biceps), chest (triceps), and shoulders (triceps). 

Yesterday was BACK DAY, so I decided to do some close grip work to hit my biceps a little more, and I also super-setted in a tricep workout.  Adding triceps did not make my workout that much longer because I was able to do them as supersets and move pretty quickly, since back exercises don't engage the triceps all that much, and vice versa.

In between my back sets, I squeezed in:

---straight bar cable tricep extensions (3 sets)
---rope extensions (3 sets)
---tricep machine (3 sets)

That's all it took to get a good pump/burn on the triceps.  I'll prolly add some bicep work into my shoulder workout later this week, and then arms are done without taking a day to do them.   ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 07:09:30 AM »
What do you think of cheat curls with a little more wegith, and using momentum?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
What do you think of cheat curls with a little more wegith, and using momentum?

Nothing wrong with that from time to time! 
It's always a good idea to get a feel for heavier weight, practice with it...that's the way you get stronger.  Eventually, the weight you do cheats with will become the weight you use for regular curls.   8)

I do a few good set of heavy cheats every couple of weeks or so when I am bulking.