Author Topic: Help on pyramid routine  (Read 4891 times)

gyroflex

• Getbig I
Help on pyramid routine
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
Hi gang, new to forum. Been training 11/2 years and looking
to start a pyramid routine with a 12 rep.@60% 1RM.
I know 60% of my 1RM is to low for 12 reps. how should
I tweak this ? Raise the weight or the reps.
The rep. scheme is 12@60%-10@70%-8@80%-6@85%
Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Help on pyramid routine
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »

If you have a rep scheme you follow it makes sense to raise the weight, doesn't it?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
depends what you are trying to acheive.

-if u want it to be a tough set then raise the weight from workout to workout. don't worry too much about working at your 'max level' every time as its not necessary. Just make sure you are increasing the weight in a reasonable manner.

-if you want to prime yourself for the 85% set then I won't worry too much about being exact, and stay on the lighter side. Just adjust your 60% set according to increases in your 85% set. So if you raise your 85% set by 5 pounds then raise the 60% by 5 lbs accordingly.
follow the arrows

One Man Army

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »

You're giving this way too much thought.  Keep it simple stupid.  As its name indicates, the pyramid routine is structured like a pyramid. It starts with one person - the initial recruiter - who is on top, at the apex of the pyramid. This person recruits a second person, who is required to "invest" $100 which is paid to the initial recruiter. In order to make his or her money back, the new recruit must recruit more people under him or her, each of whom will also have to invest $100. If the recruit gets 10 more people to invest, this person will make $900 with just a $100 investment.

The 10 new people become recruiters and each one is in turn required to enlist an additional 10 people, resulting in a total of 100 more people. Each of those 100 new recruits is also obligated to pay $100 to the person who recruited him or her; recruiters get a profit of all of the money received minus the initial $100 paid to the person who recruited them. The process continues until the base of the pyramid is no longer strong enough to support the upper structure (meaning there are no more recruits).

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
what OMA said..
follow the arrows

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »

for hypertrophy gains it is best to raise the weight each workout rather than reps. load has the biggest effect on hypertrophy, reps are 2nd.

however i do not like pyramids for numerous reasons - most of which is they are perhaps the least effective training method for hypertrophy and strength according to studies - unless every set is a warm up for a max effort.

i prefer

wo1 = 12reps@60 however many sets you can handle.
wo2 = 10reps@70 however many sets you can handle.
etc is fine

then when you reach 6 reps@85, start over at 12 @your new 60% and move up every workout again.
175lbs by 31st July

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
however i do not like pyramids for numerous reasons - most of which is they are perhaps the least effective training method for hypertrophy and strength according to studies -

Post these studies. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Post these studies. :)
::)

yes like i'm going to bother going to the trouble of posting more studies just so that so you can call bullshit etc

try googling louie simmons powerlifting pyramids. or soviet strength pyramids etc

that way i save myself the trouble of getting the standard idiot response of 'you look like shit so studies must be bullshit'.

instead you can look at the strength and mass of westside powerlifters and impartially judge for yourself.

instead of simply attacking me and everything i post.

in future if you ask politely and debate/argue politely i will be more than happy to post studies.

in the past you only attack.
175lbs by 31st July

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »
::)

yes like i'm going to bother going to the trouble of posting more studies just so that so you can call bullshit etc
When ever you have posted studies in the past all I have done is picked them apart in how they do not apply to the real world. The ones you posted before were very carefully set up experiments in a very controlled manner that was not a reality situation.........specif ically....please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......I picked apart a study that had people taking 3 days off of working out, then working leg presses only and taking a specific amount of protein, then the study measured the protein used by following one amino acid.......right? That doesn't apply to real world as nobody takes 3 days off between workouts, nor does anyone only do just leg presses and what about the rest of the amino acids? Why measure the one amino acid that is most readily absorbed? What about the absorption rate of the rest of them?

In short, the studies you have posted in the past have all been flawed when applied to real life situations involved in lifting weights.

So I ask again, post these studies you have that show pyramiding weights is the least effective method for hypertrophy and strength.  Or should I google louie simmons powerlifting pyramids or soviet strength pyramids and believe their "broscience"? :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
When ever you have posted studies in the past all I have done is picked them apart in how they do not apply to the real world. The ones you posted before were very carefully set up experiments in a very controlled manner that was not a reality situation.........specif ically....please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......I picked apart a study that had people taking 3 days off of working out, then working leg presses only and taking a specific amount of protein, then the study measured the protein used by following one amino acid.......right? That doesn't apply to real world as nobody takes 3 days off between workouts, nor does anyone only do just leg presses and what about the rest of the amino acids? Why measure the one amino acid that is most readily absorbed? What about the absorption rate of the rest of them?

In short, the studies you have posted in the past have all been flawed when applied to real life situations involved in lifting weights.

So I ask again, post these studies you have that show pyramiding weights is the least effective method for hypertrophy and strength.  Or should I google louie simmons powerlifting pyramids or soviet strength pyramids and believe their "broscience"? :)

i'm not going to get into why you do not understand that former study again. the fact is it is/was clearly beyond your comprehension.

as for pyramids, if you read anything about powerlifting or strength ( studies or articles) you will know that the pyramid system was ditched by the eastern block nations in the 60's due to its inferiority in producing results compared to the conjugate methods. countless studies back this up.

kraemer, rhea, zatsiorsky, siff are some names you may have heard of that back up these eastern broscience studies ::)
175lbs by 31st July

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
i'm not going to get into why you do not understand that former study again. the fact is it is/was clearly beyond your comprehension.

I understood the study completely, it's you that took that study and applied it were it didn't belong.

Now, post your studies. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
No studies ???

Can we just assume a picture of your physique will tell us the tale of your expertise?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Saram

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
I wouldn't worry about %RM. Focus on the actual weight in your hand and the amount of reps you can do with it over the amount of sets per exercise.

If you want 12/10/8/6 and can curl 60lbs for 12 to failure, then try 60lbs for 10 on the next set. If you don't fail, then you know to try the next weight up. It will rarely ever be 100% exactly failing on exactly the desired rep scheme.

Don't worry if, when going for 8 reps, you only make 6. By the next few workouts, you'll make 7... and then 8... and then you can move up a weight. It's a science but it's a rough science, so just be as accurate as you can and stick to your program if it's working.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »
I wouldn't worry about %RM. Focus on the actual weight in your hand and the amount of reps you can do with it over the amount of sets per exercise.

If you want 12/10/8/6 and can curl 60lbs for 12 to failure, then try 60lbs for 10 on the next set. If you don't fail, then you know to try the next weight up. It will rarely ever be 100% exactly failing on exactly the desired rep scheme.

Don't worry if, when going for 8 reps, you only make 6. By the next few workouts, you'll make 7... and then 8... and then you can move up a weight. It's a science but it's a rough science, so just be as accurate as you can and stick to your program if it's working.
Good input, we could use more knowledgable Positive posters on this board. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
i frequent the positive board a lot because its nice to take a break from all the meanness of getbig
i really dont think this post is following the rules of the pos board
maybe im off base i dont know
w

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
 :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!